Just started Shattered Memories. Should I finish it?

#1 Posted by MattSchwabby (118 posts) -

Let me start off by saying that I have very little familiarity with the Silent Hill franchise. I never played the first Silent Hill and only played Silent Hills 2, 3, The Room and Origins for about two hours each. I have never finished a Silent Hill game. I always thought the Silent Hill games were interesting, but they just never drew me in enough to finish any of them. That said, I always loved the setting/atmosphere set by the series.

This week I started playing Shattered Memories on the Wii. I was really interested in starting this game due to the positive response it received critically. I was mostly drawn to the game by the adventure game comparisons many publications made.

Now that I have started the game, I am a bit torn. To give some perspective, I just finished the segment that takes place in the woods and am now at the beginning of the High School. I really really liked the opening of the game. I found the part that takes place in town extremely engrossing/creepy and all of the therapist segments so far have really drawn me in.

That being said, I really hated parts of the segment that takes place in the woods. I enjoyed the creepy atmosphere, but it was a bit irritating trying to figure out where I had to go due to how dark the area is. All of the terrain in the area just generally confused me and I came off of that sequence frustrated.

Also, I found the first nightmare sequence interesting, but I REALLY hated the one that takes place in the woods. In the first nightmare sequence there was one part where I got turned around and spent a some time going in the wrong direction, but ultimately I corrected myself and finished the sequence mostly with ease. During the second nightmare sequence, I got turned around multiple times and generally had no idea where to go the whole time. It really frustrated me and is making me contemplate if I should even finish the game.

My question is: is it worth it for me to finish the game? I was really engrossed by the sequence in the town and some parts of the forest sequence. I didn't mind the first nightmare sequence, but I really hated the second one. Will I enjoy whatever direction the rest of the game takes? Does it end up being more like an adventure game, or is it bogged down by clumsy nightmare scenarios? I really want to finish the game, but if it is all like the woods sequence, I don't want to waste my time on something I won't enjoy.

Thanks for your help.

#2 Posted by PolyesterKyle (134 posts) -

It's been a while since I've played it but when I did, I enjoyed it immensely. I seem to remember being fed up with the forest bit as well but I can't seem to remember anything else being particularly frustrating. I think you should finish it. That was one of the first games I played that morphs based on your psychological profile which blew me away . I know some people don't regard it as highly as some of the other entries in the Silent Hill series but I thought it was awesome.

#3 Edited by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

That part in the woods is really the most open, and therefor the easiest to get lost in, from what I remember. So if that's the only problem you have, I wouldn't worry about it.

The ice sequences are not quite half the game, but they pop up with some regularity.

#4 Posted by SerHulse (688 posts) -

It's OK, I was really bored with it at the end though, I also didn't think the whole psychological stuff really added anything, tbh. On the other hand, you did buy it, I see no reason to stop, and if you did or didn't like it, at least you can say you beat it.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Well, you started it, so you should probably finish it.

#6 Posted by Mystyr_E (1195 posts) -

is it just me or does everyone say the title like Vinny does in the QL?

#7 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Yeah, you probably should.

#8 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1821 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Well, you started it, so you should probably finish it.

That's what I said with Magna Carta: Tears of Blood. Never again.

If you are enjoying it, then finish it. If you aren't, then don't. It's that simple.

#9 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (743 posts) -

Without wanting to build it up too much at all, the overall ending has to be one of the best I've seen in a game in a really long time. There are of course several depending on what you do. I've only completed it once myself though.

#10 Posted by Simulacrum (458 posts) -

It's worth completing just to see the ending.

#11 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1530 posts) -

I never played it but I did just finish watching an entire playthrough of the game. But yes, I feel you should play through to the end just to see the ending.

#12 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

I loved it and highly recommend finishing it. However I didn't experience any of the frustration you mentioned. Loved the story as well, so I suggest pressing on

#13 Posted by Djratchet (669 posts) -

The ending was fantastic. I suggest giving it at least a couple more hours before deciding one way or the other.

#14 Posted by ElvishPresley (90 posts) -

I got lost in the woods, too. Don't let it get you down. Yeah, the nightmare sequences are the least interesting part of the game, but they get pretty freaky and fun later on. And the rest of the game is a masterpiece. Dude, that school is INSANE, there's still soo much game left. Give it some more time, I doubt the nightmare sequences will sour everything else. Personally, a feeling of dread always washed over me when shit got all icy and I knew the monsters were coming. Yes, that dread came mostly from knowing I was about to endure a somewhat frustrating gameplay segment, but it was still dread, which helped me feel tied to the story. Also, the ending of the story frames those sequences in a way that makes them a lot more powerful to think about in retrospect. The credits sequence alone will blow your mind. Easily one of my top three Wii experiences, certainly my favorite survival horror game.

#15 Posted by JasonR86 (9728 posts) -

@MattSchwabby:

It's short. Just beat it.

#16 Posted by Ducksworth (662 posts) -

I've only bothered completing it once but the ending is nice and it's a really short game. The game can be pretty frustrating though, aside from knowing that you're never in danger when your outside the chase sequences I can recall two (maybe three) times in a single play through where the game glitched up on me and wouldn't continue the scene so I had to reset the console and play the sequence all over again.

#17 Posted by NoelVeiga (1120 posts) -

There is a bunch of turning around and getting lost at several points, but the game is worth a couple of playthroughs, in fact. Not only is it very short, but it also changes significantly depending on some choices you make, so it's fun to see what can be different. Also, the ending is pretty good. I'm with the others, bite the bullet and put the couple of hours it takes to get to the end at least once. You'll appreciate some of what happens.

#18 Posted by MattSchwabby (118 posts) -

I never picked the game back up but I think I will now. Thanks for everyone's input.

#19 Posted by IBurningStar (2190 posts) -

Yes, you should finish it. Trust me, when you get to the end you will be glad you did. The game wraps up in a very satisfying and effective way.

#20 Posted by TwelveFootFour (154 posts) -

@IBurningStar said:

Yes, you should finish it. Trust me, when you get to the end you will be glad you did. The game wraps up in a very satisfying and effective way.

That!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.