Shattered Memories Gameplay Videos

  • 55 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

IGN video review (I don't know if it has any major spoilers, watch at your own risk). The initial stuff sounded like advert hyperbole:

Spoilers of the first 40 minutes or so, obviously. I like how the game just basically instantly starts while you set up your profile, options and stuff. Lip syncing could be better though. I won't watch all of these, I don't wanna be spoiled much, but what I saw looks solid.

1
2
3
4
5

 

#2 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -

A game I'll probably watch on Youtube to the end.
 
Just like I did with the other games.
 
If I tried I'll never beat it. :P

#3 Posted by Driadon (2997 posts) -

That promo video from before was...the main menu?! this is already bad ass.

#4 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Added the crappy quality embed of IGN's video review on the first post.

@animateria said:

" A game I'll probably watch on Youtube to the end.  Just like I did with the other games.  If I tried I'll never beat it. :P "

According to that one review it's pretty short so rent it or something. I doubt it's as scary as the original.
#5 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1480 posts) -

I wonder what the PS2 version's gonna look like.

#6 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" Added the crappy quality embed of IGN's video review on the first post.

@animateria said:
" A game I'll probably watch on Youtube to the end.  Just like I did with the other games.  If I tried I'll never beat it. :P "
According to that one review it's pretty short so rent it or something. "
 
I like to watch horror movies and such, not be in one.
 
Failed to beat Fatal Frame 2 and decided never again. Will watch someone play it though.
#7 Posted by JJOR64 (18954 posts) -

I hope this game gets good reviews and sells well.  It looks like a solid game.

#8 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -
#9 Posted by JJOR64 (18954 posts) -
@Romination: True.  :(
#10 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

I may pick this up in the coming months. 

#11 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

 @JJOR64 said:

" @Romination: True.  :( "

Well the last Silent Hill games didn't do great so don't expect any fanbase to flock to this. I hear Konami barely promotes it and is sending out limited numbers of copies anyway. It probably cost next to nothing (Climax is hardly AAA) and they're ok with selling through their limited initial stock.
#12 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -

It's goddang GORGEOUS, though. It's strange to think of this as the 'budget' silent hill game with such production values and high caliber of graphics.
 
Anyone have any idea exactly what happened to silent hill, anyways?

#13 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Climax's last Wii game looked pretty good too, they have the experience. But it was also low budget, Overlord II's little brother, Dark Legend:

#14 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

I'm so upset about this game because it could have used more development time. 
Seriously, this could have probably have been a great new Silent Hill if they just gave it a couple more months.

#15 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
@Emilio said:
" I'm so upset about this game because it could have used more development time. Seriously, this could have probably have been a great new Silent Hill if they just gave it a couple more months. "
What the hell are you talking about, Emilio? The game got plenty of dev time and is highly polished, only positive reviews so far. More dev time wouldn't have made this "more Silent Hill", the devs seem extremely happy with the game and it seems to have turned out exactly the way they wanted.
#16 Posted by Alexander (1721 posts) -

Looks solid. FYI IGN have a youtube channel, much better than their own embedding.
 

#17 Posted by Jeust (10552 posts) -

Seems a good game after all. 
 
Might buy it :p

#18 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

probably get the ps2 version

#19 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -
@Meowayne:  
Well okay, I saw that IGN review and now it seems a whole lot better.
#20 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

I'm getting excited again. Comments from people who got the game early (gamestop apparently started selling early) start appearing all over the place, and people seem to agree that this is the best Silent Hill game in a long time and that plot, characters and puzzles are its strongest points. Some even go as far as calling it a "worthy successor of SH2". 
 
La la la~

#21 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

It certainly seems to have a soul and set mind about what it wants to be. From what I read, avoiding spoilers, it's a love-it-or-hate-it game for long-term Silent Hill fans: One group is thoroughly disappointed and agrees with the reviews about the horrible nightmare-sequences and lack of horror, the other group sets this on one level with Silent Hill 2, which is an amazing thing to say for a Silent Hill fan. 
 
I suppose it all comes down to how well the story "works" for you. It's supposed to be very surprising and very well told interactively. 
 
No real opinions about the psych-profile stuff, though. The huge majority of the changes resulting from your playing and question answering seem to be cosmetical. A bummer, but not surprising really.

#22 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

I don't think the psych profiling stuff is meant to be there for replayability, though it can certainly add to it for the curious. It's just there to customise the game so that the first experience is the best it can be for any given person. So, yeah, a lot of it is cosmetic but in the end it probably helps a lot.

#23 Edited by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

From the gamefaq boards:

 
 Having played SH1 to utter completion, I walk away from Shattered Memories with shattered (in a good way) expectations; Climax has somehow managed to fill the shoes of Team Silent in creating an amazingly emotional tale of a troubled psyche. In all honesty, I shed a few tears in the duration of the 3-4 minute long ending. Along the way, my many theories suggest something disturbing, mad even; however, I wasn't ready (and I can imagine that few will be until they experience it) for the raw emotion.

Not only is Shattered Memories now one of my favorite SH games, but it has elevated both the original game and its direct sequel to new heights, and as a trilogy, SH2 now has competition.


 
Christ.
#24 Posted by Jeust (10552 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
" From the gamefaq boards:

 
 Having played SH1 to utter completion, I walk away from Shattered Memories with shattered (in a good way) expectations; Climax has somehow managed to fill the shoes of Team Silent in creating an amazingly emotional tale of a troubled psyche. In all honesty, I shed a few tears in the duration of the 3-4 minute long ending. Along the way, my many theories suggest something disturbing, mad even; however, I wasn't ready (and I can imagine that few will be until they experience it) for the raw emotion.

Not only is Shattered Memories not one of my favorite SH games, but it has elevated both the original game and its direct sequel to new heights, and as a trilogy, SH2 now has competition.

 Christ. "
More hype to the fire...  lol
 
Let's hope Shattered Memories is tasty enough to be enjoyable after that.
#25 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Yeah that sounds quite over the top, lol. But hey, good for him he enjoyed it that much. It really doesn't seem as good and disturbing as the first few Silent Hill games from all I've seen, but that doesn't make it bad, just not so similar. I'm glad the ending sounds like it offers room for theories.

#26 Posted by Jeust (10552 posts) -

Yep! it sounds cool though.
 
Possibly my first purchase next year... :p

#27 Edited by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Holy-
 

 Then it's onto the action, and the almost-immediate realisation that Shattered Memories is, by some margin, the most creative and engaging game to emerge in Konami's horror series since the perversely unsettling Silent Hill 3 back in 2003. Indeed, by the end of it, you're left mulling over the highlights of one of the most compelling and sure-footed offerings the genre has ever seen.
[...]
 As simple as that example is, it demonstrates thoughtful use of the Wii's controller, which we so rarely see.
[...]
 But these initial good ideas are nothing compared to some of the excellent ones implemented as the game progresses.
 [...]
and before long you'll find yourself faced with a mid-level puzzle to solve too. In common with most of the game's tasks, these are some of the most enjoyable bits of Shattered Memories, designed to make you feel quite clever in the process of solving them.  
 [...]  
Another thing to celebrate throughout Shattered Memories is the pacing. What it lacks in terms of length it more than makes up for in how well it holds your interest. By switching regularly between analysis, puzzle exploration, one-off set-pieces and nightmarish escape sequences, nothing ever outstays its welcome. As soon as you've seen enough of one particular location, you're off to the next, and, crucially, without any of the tedious backtracking and laborious map-checking that characterised all previous entrants in the series.

Shattered Memories also pushes the technical capabilities of the Wii to the max. One thing Silent Hill was particularly good at in its heyday was striking facial detail, and Climax has evidently worked hard to come up with techniques that recapture that style. At first glance during the psychological profiling phase you might have trouble believing it's a Wii release, and it's a standard that's maintained once you start wandering the snow-ridden world outside.   
[...]
It has been a rocky road getting Silent Hill back on track after the unexplained decision to remove development duties from the original Team Silent, but with Shattered Memories, Climax has found its feet in some style. Packed with inventive ideas and one engaging sequence after another, it's a spirited, poignant and unsettling game that not only delivers a long-overduereturn to form, but reinvigorates horror adventures in the process.

9/10


 

The Eurogamer review is here.  (Beware: Its very spoilery)
Shame it was written by Kristan Reed who I decided to not really take seriously as a reviewer.

#28 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

The GT review seems pretty good, but also somewhat spoilery I think.

#29 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -
#30 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Is Destructoid counted into metacritic/gamerankings-scores? 
 
Shattered Memories is an extremely interesting game for review analysis. There's now everything there, from 9.5/10 to 4/10. While it annoys me, as I too think this game features the best interactive storytelling in games since Portal and the best in the genre since Silent Hill 2, I also think it's remarkable.
 
What kind of games offer material to both justify perfect and extreme dismissive reviews?
What kind of reviewer can not be amazed at SH:SM's pacing and storytelling? 
What scores would the game have gotten if it were released on any other platform?

#31 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Yeah, it's counted. Made it go in the green thankfully (it was 74 before). I guess it depends on how you play the game and how easy it is for you to be immersed in a game's atmosphere. I can see it being pretty horrible if for example it's played in a Giant Bomb quick look like environment with a bunch of guys throwing jokes, eating, burping, and talking about random shit, but then again, any game that relies on atmosphere would be ruined like that since you'd simply miss it. Who would buy a single player adventure to play like that? They'd just find the time to be alone (or with a quiet partner) and play in a dark room so that nothing interferes with the game. Otherwise, play something else.

#32 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Yes. I sincerely hope there will be neither a quick look nor a review from this site.

#33 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Dtoid's video review:

#34 Edited by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:

"I can see it being pretty horrible if for example it's played in a Giant Bomb quick look like environment with a bunch of guys throwing jokes, eating, burping, and talking about random shit"

And surprise, that's exactly what happened. Not to mention the tons of stuff and information they missed in these few minutes alone, walking past everything and making jokes. -sigh- 
It also shows how reviewers had 5, 6 hour walkthroughs with the game. We were playing for at least an hour if not two when we reached the coloring picture part.

 
But judging from the comments, it got a couple of people interested in the game, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.
#35 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
" Is Destructoid counted into metacritic/gamerankings-scores?   Shattered Memories is an extremely interesting game for review analysis. There's now everything there, from 9.5/10 to 4/10. While it annoys me, as I too think this game features the best interactive storytelling in games since Portal and the best in the genre since Silent Hill 2, I also think it's remarkable.  What kind of games offer material to both justify perfect and extreme dismissive reviews? What kind of reviewer can not be amazed at SH:SM's pacing and storytelling?  What scores would the game have gotten if it were released on any other platform? "
I guess some people may be put off by the fact that there is a lot of walking around with the main character to try and get you immersed into the atmosphere, which, if it fails to work upon the player, would become quite boring.
#36 Posted by Icemael (6316 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
"What scores would the game have gotten if it were released on any other platform? "
I think it would have received lower scores on other platforms. On 360 and PS3 it would have gotten lost amongst all the other great releases, but on the Wii, it stands out.
#37 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -
@Icemael said:

" @Meowayne said:

"What scores would the game have gotten if it were released on any other platform? "

I think it would have received lower scores on other platforms. On 360 and PS3 it would have gotten lost amongst all the other great releases, but on the Wii, it stands out. "
I think it would have scored better because it would be shinier, played on any given reviewer's favorite controller, and horror games are few and far between on all platforms with Resident Evil going all action. Maybe it would score less if it was released alongside Alan Wake though.
#38 Posted by Icemael (6316 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" @Icemael said:

" @Meowayne said:

"What scores would the game have gotten if it were released on any other platform? "
I think it would have received lower scores on other platforms. On 360 and PS3 it would have gotten lost amongst all the other great releases, but on the Wii, it stands out. "
I think it would have scored better because it would be shinier and horror games are few and far between on all platforms, especially with Resident Evil going all action lately. Maybe it would only score less if it was released alongside Alan Wake though. "
Alan Wake isn't a survival horror game.
#39 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
@Icemael said:
" @Meowayne said:
"What scores would the game have gotten if it were released on any other platform? "
I think it would have received lower scores on other platforms. On 360 and PS3 it would have gotten lost amongst all the other great releases, but on the Wii, it stands out. "
In terms of writing and storytelling, there is no release on any other platform in the last year that was nearly as "great" as this title.
 No, I don't buy the "lower standards" argument, in this case even less than I usually do. If even gamespot and Eurogamer rate a Wii game very high, there must be something to it. 

 
@dbz1995: I think you're quite right.
#40 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

When did I say Alan Wake is survival horror? I just said horror. Atmospheric, scary, tense, stressful, a thriller, whatever you wanna call it. Survival horror is a pretty silly description coined by CAPCOM really, not a valid description of anything, just used to summarise Resident Evil-alikes.

#41 Posted by Icemael (6316 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
" @Icemael said:
" @Meowayne said:
"What scores would the game have gotten if it were released on any other platform? "
I think it would have received lower scores on other platforms. On 360 and PS3 it would have gotten lost amongst all the other great releases, but on the Wii, it stands out. "
In terms of writing and storytelling, there is no release on any other platform in the last year that was nearly as "great" as this title.  No, I don't buy the "lower standards" argument, in this case even less than I usually do. If even gamespot and Eurogamer rate a Wii game very high, there must be something to it."
Let me ask you something: If Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed II and all the other big 360 and PS3 games had been released on the Wii, do you think Shattered Memories would have gotten nearly as much attention as it has?
#42 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -
@Icemael said:

" @Meowayne said:

" @Icemael said:

" @Meowayne said:

"What scores would the game have gotten if it were released on any other platform? "

I think it would have received lower scores on other platforms. On 360 and PS3 it would have gotten lost amongst all the other great releases, but on the Wii, it stands out. "
In terms of writing and storytelling, there is no release on any other platform in the last year that was nearly as "great" as this title.  No, I don't buy the "lower standards" argument, in this case even less than I usually do. If even gamespot and Eurogamer rate a Wii game very high, there must be something to it."
Let me ask you something: If Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed II and all the other big 360 and PS3 games had been released on the Wii, do you think Shattered Memories would have gotten nearly as much attention as it has? "
Those games were still released, they were released on platforms favored by teh hardcoer media, yet this still got some attention. That speaks positively for it than negatively as you try to imply there's some sort of bias with the media giving free passes to Wii games when it's quite the opposite in most cases. Nobody said it's a flawless AAA game. Climax is hardly a renowned developer, but they apparently made something good here and it's getting some well deserved recognition. Not unanimus mind you, there are mixed reviews out there so I'm not sure what undeserved attention you're talking about as it doesn't even have that much, so comparing it to games that do have a lot of attention isn't really doing anything sensible. If it gets undeserved attention it's not because of the WIi but because it's called Silent Hill, even though it doesn't really have that many ties to the franchise in practice. That would happen all the same on any platform it was released for, not just the Wii. Of course it's not even that much attention in the first place as the franchise has been in decline for years but whatever, that's starting to get off topic so I'll stop here.
#43 Posted by Icemael (6316 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" @Icemael said:
" @Meowayne said:
" @Icemael said:
" @Meowayne said:
"What scores would the game have gotten if it were released on any other platform? "
I think it would have received lower scores on other platforms. On 360 and PS3 it would have gotten lost amongst all the other great releases, but on the Wii, it stands out. "
In terms of writing and storytelling, there is no release on any other platform in the last year that was nearly as "great" as this title.  No, I don't buy the "lower standards" argument, in this case even less than I usually do. If even gamespot and Eurogamer rate a Wii game very high, there must be something to it."
Let me ask you something: If Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed II and all the other big 360 and PS3 games had been released on the Wii, do you think Shattered Memories would have gotten nearly as much attention as it has? "
Those games were still released, they were released on platforms favored by the press, and yet this game still got attention. I think that speaks positively for it than negatively as you try to imply there's some sort of bias with the media giving free passes to the Wii when it's quite the opposite. "
It's not the opposite at all -- just look at The Conduit. That game got tons of attention and great scores despite being absolute crap.Had it been released on the PC(I'm using the PC to show how stupid the "but it got great scores because of its controls" argument is) nobody would have cared about it, and it wouldn't have received a single good, or even decent review score.
#44 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

The Conduit got attention thanks to the hyperbole by its developers. That also happens on all platforms, and less so on Wii if anything. Great scores? 69 average on metacritic. Maybe some scored it great but saying it's only because it's a Wii game is reaching into conclusions with little evidence. Kane & Lynch has similarly mixed reviews with 65 metacritic average, but that has nothing to do with the platforms it appeared on does it?

#45 Edited by Jeust (10552 posts) -

Sorry for posting on the other topic the review, but it's hard to keep track of what is put in what topic. 
 
About the conduit i think they got the attention, first of all because it was an fps that appeared to be good, and second of all because of the tight controls, on a console known to have control issues with the games, as it is the wii. 
 
As i've read that might have been it's problem, as they thrust everything else into second place.

#46 Edited by Icemael (6316 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:

" The Conduit got attention thanks to the hyperbole by its developers. That also happens on all platforms, and less so on Wii if anything. Great scores? 69 average on metacritic. Maybe some scored it great but saying it's only because it's a Wii game is reaching into conclusions with little evidence."

Not at all. Had it been released on the PC, I can promise you that the Metacritic score would have been far lower. 
 
My point is that Shattered Memories may be a fantastic survival horror game, but it's a niche title and wouldn't have received nearly as much attention had it not been a Wii game. The reason for this is that on the other platforms, it would've been the cream of the crop in its genre. On the Wii, it's simply the cream of the crop.
#47 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

I still don't see what attention you're talking about. Silent Hill always gets some attention regardless of platform. It's Silent Hill. It used to be a pretty big IP for Konami and even though it's been in decline people still hope it will be rejuvenated (and to an extent Shattered Memories does that) so pay attention to new releases. I don't see any additional hype for this Wii game. I see less if anything. There are many overrated games out there. Shattered Memories honestly doesn't appear to be one of them. Singling out one game out of many like The Conduit doesn't make a valid console bias case for anyone but a particular individual or two like Matt Cassawhatever who mostly did it to push his own agendas than favor the Wii in any way (imo he has harmed the system more than he has helped it despite all the positive reviews as he hyped games like The Conduit instead of awesome original titles). The other good reviews? I don't know. Maybe they actually enjoyed the title? I wasn't there to know. Sorry.

#48 Posted by Jeust (10552 posts) -
@Icemael:  
 
There aren't really many good horror titles these days on the last generation consoles, so it might still be the cream of the crop. 
 
Maybe the reasons why they choose the wii are other ones, like price, controls, the experience itself, a reboot.
#49 Posted by Icemael (6316 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" I still don't see what attention you're talking about. Silent Hill always gets some attention regardless of platform. It's Silent Hill. I don't see any additional hype for this Wii game. I see lless if anything. There are many overrated games out there. Singling out one on a particular platform doesn't make a valid case for anything. Sorry. "
You miss my point; I am not saying it's overrated. I'm saying I don't think it would have received as high scores on other platforms, not that I don't think it deserves the scores it got.
#50 Posted by Hailinel (24413 posts) -
@Icemael said:
" @Al3xand3r said:
" I still don't see what attention you're talking about. Silent Hill always gets some attention regardless of platform. It's Silent Hill. I don't see any additional hype for this Wii game. I see lless if anything. There are many overrated games out there. Singling out one on a particular platform doesn't make a valid case for anything. Sorry. "
You miss my point; I am not saying it's overrated. I'm saying I don't think it would have received as high scores on other platforms, not that I don't think it deserves the scores it got. "
So you're essentially using the trite "It looks good for a Wii game" argument?
Online

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.