Should I get Origins if I enjoyed this one?

#1 Edited by Darkstar614 (1098 posts) -
Silent Hill: 0rigins  

I'm kind of in a Silent Hill funk now that I finished Shattered Memories and saw this on PSN on my PSP. 14.99 seems like a good deal for this.

I know it's gameplay is way different but I was really into RE2 back on PS1 and this is looking kind of similar. Are there any reasons I shouldn't get this?
#2 Posted by AltonBrown (950 posts) -

It's OK, though I recommend tracking down Silent Hill 2 first. Best in the series.

#3 Posted by demontium (4708 posts) -
@Darkstar614: I disliked origins and loved this one.
#4 Posted by Darkstar614 (1098 posts) -

Hm okay, Silent Hill 2 looks pretty awesome as well. Looking at Amazon they sure do want a lot for new copies, $50 for Greatest hits and $145 for non-greatest hits version(whoa). I'll have to check my local Gamestop tomorrow and see if they got a used one. I'm not exactly keen on ordering a used one from Amazon, because I don't feel like trying to send it back if it's too scratched or something.

#5 Posted by Hailinel (24425 posts) -
@AltonBrown said:
" It's OK, though I recommend tracking down Silent Hill 2 first. Best in the series. "
What he said regarding Silent Hill 2.  Definitely the best.  After that, I'd recommend Silent Hill 3 before Origins.  Silent Hill 4 is kind of weird (it didn't start off as a Silent Hill game, so it plays differently from the earlier games).  And stay the fuck away from Homecoming.
#6 Edited by AltonBrown (950 posts) -
@Darkstar614: Go with Greatest Hits. There's an additional ending and a sub-scenario.
#7 Posted by Darkstar614 (1098 posts) -
@AltonBrown: What really? I've never heard of a Greatest Hits version having any sort of additional content. I'll definitely have to track that one down, along with 3.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
#8 Posted by JJOR64 (18956 posts) -

I'm really interested in this game, but I don't want to pay $50 for it.  I think I will get it when the price drops.

#9 Posted by Hailinel (24425 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" I'm really interested in this game, but I don't want to pay $50 for it.  I think I will get it when the price drops. "
Humorous intent, or just not paying attention to the conversation?  You decide.
#10 Posted by xyzygy (9953 posts) -

Yeah, 2 is the best in the Silent Hill series and the saddest most depressing game ever made. I played 3 right after it and it was total garbage - weak characters, short length, not enough environments, it didn't have the same amount of heart put into it as 2. It just kinda felt shallow and stale compared to what Silent Hill 2 is. It didn't feel like a full game. I haven't played 4 to say, but I'm getting 5 very very soon. I heard Origins and 5 weren't that great though... (I'm a big enough fan so I'll love 5 anyway.)

#11 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

f you have the choice between SH2 and SH:O, it's not even a question. 
Silent Hill 2 is one of the best games ever made.

#12 Posted by monkeyroach (175 posts) -

No, origins sucks so does homecoming.I lost all hope for sh made by an American dev till i played shattered memories.How they completely changed everything including the gameplay was amazing.

#13 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1915 posts) -

Don't really understand all the hate for Homecoming; I love that game.

#14 Edited by Jeust (10559 posts) -

Get Silent Hill Greatest Hits if you can, if not try Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams, as it has the same bonus as the greatest hits. 

Origins is a good game, but in terms of plot, it's much weaker than SH2. But it has some superb moments, like the first level. 

Four is also nice, with the some of the most life like zombies ever made, a claustrophobic plot about a room, some nice twists, and unlike SH2, the ending is not depressing, but cheerful. 

Five is the weaker, as it doesn't follow the same story as the other ones made by Team Silent. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.