Silent Hill Producer on Mature Wii Games

#1 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Sam Barlow, lead design er of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories has given his views about On-Rail shooters. They come in response to comments from Capcom and SEGA concerning mature games on Wii.

Speaking to Official Nintendo Magazine:

Without badmouthing people, a lot of the games they've been complaining about are rail shooters and a rail shooter wouldn't have sold no matter what platform you put it on because it's a rail shooter and that's a niche genre that had its heyday back in the Dreamcast era. 

Ultimately the way we looked at it was that there's a huge audience who own Wiis, we own Wiis and we know that amongst that audience there is a sub-sect who love dark stories, thrillers, mysteries and horror movies and so the development of Shattered Memories was all about removing the obstacles to those people enjoying this game. 

If they really enjoy a good horror story, they should enjoy this so we've tried to create a product that has broad appeal but does something new.

#2 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Just having it in third person made a huge difference. I really hope it sells well, it's a really cool game. Third person seems to work well on the Wii. RE4 played great on the Wii, well, for me it did.

#3 Posted by demontium (4709 posts) -
@Linkyshinks: Great response
#4 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @Linkyshinks: Great response "
It is also pretty much what all of us have been saying - in particular Ale3ander.  I will do my part and get this game.  In fact, my daughter is insisting I get it.  Now, if other game developers would just make more of the good games and we could all be happy ( I am already happy).
#5 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

Well at least someone on the development side knows whats up. Rail shooters are fun and all but I don't wanna buy like 20 of them a year, I mean no one is actually surprised they don't sell, right? I really need to buy this game, totally support this guy he seems to know whats up.

#6 Posted by Kou_Leifoh (1891 posts) -

Oddly enough, there was a Silent Hill rail shooter game.

#7 Posted by Marzy (675 posts) -

I really like the look of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, I'll definitely be getting it.

#8 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

He's dead on, people need to stop making excuses for games that just aren't appealing. If Yakuza was a Wii game would Sega be blaming the Wii for that fail, too?

#9 Posted by demontium (4709 posts) -
@oldschool said:
" @demontium said:
" @Linkyshinks: Great response "
It is also pretty much what all of us have been saying - in particular Ale3ander.  I will do my part and get this game.  In fact, my daughter is insisting I get it.  Now, if other game developers would just make more of the good games and we could all be happy ( I am already happy). "
Thats why its a great response, its the view of the impartial gamers (i.e. us).
#10 Edited by fuzzyponken (694 posts) -

...and the ones that aren't rail shooters are black and white, making it even more unappealing to the average joe, or a very mediocre first person shooter that happens to have decent graphics.  

I hope Shattered Memories sells really well. They deserve it. 

#11 Posted by demontium (4709 posts) -
@fuzzyponken said:
" ...and the ones that aren't rail shooters are black and white, making it even more unappealing to the average joe, or a very mediocre first person shooter that happens to have decent graphics.   I hope Shattered Memories sells really well. They deserve it.  "
Great words.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.