Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Dec 08, 2009

An icy re-imagining of the classic Silent Hill, which trades weapons for frantic chase sequences as the player tries desperately to flee pursuing enemies. It takes on more of an adventure game format than traditional survival-horror.

Something I'm worried about

badsmalltalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By badsmalltalker

This is a question for those who have recently played and finished SH: Shattered Memories.

After hearing things about a "twist" ending from a bunch or media outlets, were you playing with that in mind and when whatever they were talking about happened, you weren't surprised?

I'm a little bit into the game, just finished only the second chase sequence, and I find myself constantly thinking as I go and see new things, maybe this is gonna be what it is.  I'm just worried the end of the game will happen, and all this rumored stuff will happen, but all of it will have crossed my mind at some point earlier and I won't get the full effect.

Did hearing "there's an awesome twist!" before starting, ruin its actual effect when you saw it?

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Driadon

Lucky me the first time I played it was on release date and prior to reading any reviews. Knowing that there is a twist at all will dull the blow, but the question of what it is as well as other aspects of the ending are still going to be a shocker.
    Just keep playing, dammit!

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ

Aren't there a bunch of different endings?

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By HaltIamReptar
    @AgentJ: Five, from what I hear.
    Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Pepsiman
    @HaltIamReptar: There are indeed five, but you can only access four of them on your first run depending on how you play things. The fifth is a humorous joke ending that requires you do pretty specific things to unlock it on another run with the same file. Nevertheless, the four main ones do all contain the same overall spoiler that the "twist" refers to; the differences lie in how that twist is contextualized, basically. It's hard to explain without going into specifics and ruining it all.

That being said, while the fact that knowing ahead of time a twist ending is in store might dull things a tad, unless you've either read a FAQ or the most spoilertastic review on the planet, the game doesn't exactly go out of its way to reveal the nature of its ending to you. I think given that it's a psychological horror game, the fact that there is a twist is more or less of a given, but if you're like me, it might very well still hit like a train. The devil with that ending is very, very much so in the details.
    HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HaltIamReptar
    @Pepsiman said:
    " @HaltIamReptar: There are indeed five, but you can only access four of them on your first run depending on how you play things. The fifth is a humorous joke ending that requires you do pretty specific things to unlock it on another run with the same file. Nevertheless, the four main ones do all contain the same overall spoiler that the "twist" refers to; the differences lie in how that twist is contextualized, basically. It's hard to explain without going into specifics and ruining it all. That being said, while the fact that knowing ahead of time a twist ending is in store might dull things a tad, unless you've either read a FAQ or the most spoilertastic review on the planet, the game doesn't exactly go out of its way to reveal the nature of its ending to you. I think given that it's a psychological horror game, the fact that there is a twist is more or less of a given, but if you're like me, it might very well still hit like a train. The devil with that ending is very, very much so in the details. "
    Oh man.  Stop making me want this game.  I don't have the money or time for it.  If I get pushed just a little bit more, then I may have to trade something in to Gamestop.  And we all know what that's like.  It's like going to the abortion clinic when your child is ten years old.  Yeah.  It's like that.  Just like that.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Meowayne

Argh! 

@cmpLtNOOB: Do not, I repeat,

DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME EXPECTING A HUGE SHOCKING TWIST.

There is none. You are just setting yourself up for disappointment over the brilliantly made ending sequence(s). There is no Fight Club / Usual Suspects / 6th Sense moment in this game! It is much more quiet, much more subtle than that. It's fun, and you will look back at what you played in wonder, but it's not what people are generally handlung as a "twist ending".

Do not expect everything you encountered to suddenly make sense. There is a purpose and a symbolic value to everything you encounter, but the ending will not automatically unlock that for you. After you beat the game, much of what you saw will still be a mystery for you to figure out. There are also some endings which are more "shocking" than others. There is one ending in particular that is very tame and doesn't touch AT ALL on some of the prominent themes in the game.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By c1337us

Its not been released locally where I live yet. So I will be avoiding this kind of discussion for a while to prevent exactly what you are talking about, and that is my que to exit. Seeya.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By AgentJ
    @Pepsiman said:
    " @HaltIamReptar: There are indeed five, but you can only access four of them on your first run depending on how you play things. The fifth is a humorous joke ending that requires you do pretty specific things to unlock it on another run with the same file. Nevertheless, the four main ones do all contain the same overall spoiler that the "twist" refers to; the differences lie in how that twist is contextualized, basically. It's hard to explain without going into specifics and ruining it all. That being said, while the fact that knowing ahead of time a twist ending is in store might dull things a tad, unless you've either read a FAQ or the most spoilertastic review on the planet, the game doesn't exactly go out of its way to reveal the nature of its ending to you. I think given that it's a psychological horror game, the fact that there is a twist is more or less of a given, but if you're like me, it might very well still hit like a train. The devil with that ending is very, very much so in the details. "
    Must not be too hard to explain because I think you did a pretty good job of that just now :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.