Wii Game of The Year Lower Score Than Others?

#1 Posted by IndeedCodyBrown (391 posts) -

Silent Hill - 4 Stars 
Punch Out - 5 Stars 
Wii Sports Resort - 5 Stars 

Disscuss
#2 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

It doesn't matter. Punchout may have been perfect at what it did, while Silent Hill was the better game but still could have been better. It's a moot point though.

#3 Edited by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -

Assassin's Creed II was also up there in the GOTY talk with 4 stars.  One of the major advocates for the game was Ryan, who gave the game 4 stars.  Giant Bomb doesn't focus as much on scores, this should be clear if you visit the site.

#4 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed when they announced it wasn't New Super Mario Brothers Wii
It got 4 stars, And was easily my favorite Wii game this year

#5 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

silent hill started playing it today it totally deserves it.

#6 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4886 posts) -

Only one person reviewed the game. The whole staff decides GOTY.

#7 Posted by Peacemaker (1101 posts) -

New Super Mario Bros. is awesome, not doubt about it.  But it's also Mario, which it's safe to say everyone has played before.  SH is something different, and makes pretty damn good use of the Wii.  It may have it's problems but the fresh ideas really make it stand out.

#8 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -
@SJSchmidt93 said:
" Only one person reviewed the game. The whole staff decides GOTY. "
This^ 
And isn't it a different reviewer for each of those games?
Silent Hill - Brad
Wii sports - Jeff
Punch out - Ryan

That's of the top of my head though.
#9 Posted by ez123 (1945 posts) -
@Ineedaname: Brad's also the only one who played it.  He told them the twist(which ain't all that) and they decided to pick it. Weird.
#10 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Kingofallya said:
" Derpa derp  Disscuss "
I won't want to talk about derpa derp.
#11 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -
@ez123: But I look at those games, and the most complete game I see is SH.
Not to say the others aren't games by any means or anything like that but if you look at the 4 dudes picking, to quote Ryan, "punch out is just someone reselling your child hood", which sort of rules that out, I think they were a little off put by Wii sports because they think it's the only game that's used the motion plus and it's doing what the first wii sports done but better, but with SH it tried some new stuff, and was more of a proper game with an objective and such.

I can see their logic, and for the most part I agree.
#12 Posted by ez123 (1945 posts) -
@Ineedaname: Rabbids meets that criteria and I think more than one guy played it.  There you have it, Wii GOTY
#13 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -

Maybe they are trying to be controversial?  Who knows, who cares?  Not me.  Any GPTY is a croc really.

#14 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -
@ez123: It does indeed but I recall around the time of reviewing that game Ryan said you should only play it for blocks of 40mins for me that's not a sign of a GOTY candidate. Even if those 40mins are good.
#15 Edited by ez123 (1945 posts) -
@Ineedaname:  Whatever, Silent Hill is another Silent Hill so it is disqualifies itself if they followed their own rules. We've officially thought about this for longer than they did. 
#16 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -
@ez123: There were no rules though I was merely trying to justify why they probably picked it based on what I picked up from listening to the podcast and their views of the game around their release. And you can call it another SH game but the stuff that appears to be going on in the background does seem pretty cool. Not sure if it's enough but still.
#17 Posted by Hailinel (23917 posts) -
@ez123 said:
" @Ineedaname:  Whatever, Silent Hill is another Silent Hill so it is disqualifies itself if they followed their own rules. We've officially thought about this for longer than they did.  "
Except it plays absolutely nothing like any Silent Hill game before it.  I'm not sure where you're getting your argument from.
#18 Posted by ez123 (1945 posts) -
@Ineedaname: Sure, it's enough.  If they played it and liked it, that's enough, it's their choice after all.  Brad being the only one who played it is the only gripe I have.
#19 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -
@ez123: Well bar punch out and some multiplayer of other various games they all never seemed to play any others.
#20 Posted by Hailinel (23917 posts) -
@Ineedaname said:
" @ez123: Well bar punch out and some multiplayer of other various games they all never seemed to play any others. "
And this isn't limited to just Wii games.  Most of them never got around to spending much time with Dragon Age, and Dave, who wasn't involved in the deliberations, was the one that reviewed the game.
#21 Edited by ez123 (1945 posts) -
@Hailinel: Dragon Age was Dave's No2 and Pretty high up on Vinny's list.
#22 Posted by Hailinel (23917 posts) -
@ez123 said:
" @Hailinel: Dragon Age was Dave's No2 and Pretty high up on Vinny's list. "
Your point being?  I'm pointing out that not everyone spent a signficant amount of time with it on PC or console.
#23 Posted by ez123 (1945 posts) -
@Hailinel: If two people agree that a game is great, that's like..... twice as many.  That's my point.
#24 Posted by Hailinel (23917 posts) -
@ez123 said:
" @Hailinel: If two people agree that a game is great, that's like..... twice as many.  That's my point. "
But Brad's argument for Silent Hill was enough to convince the others that it should be awarded Best Wii Game.  The awards are not run as a democracy; it doesn't revolve around voting for whatever you think is best.
#25 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

I'm actually glad they chose Silent Hill as their Wii GotY. I sold my Wii for a PS3 in '08, and Silent Hill has really been the only serious game I've seen that I didn't think could be done anywhere else. 
Scores in this also don't really matter. Scores judge the quality of a game, but a Game of the Year award goes to the game that had the most impact on the journalist, and gaming itself.

#26 Posted by Jimbo (9774 posts) -

The review score descriptions are too focused on the fulfilment of potential, rather than rewarding ambition and innovation, which is how you end up with a straight Punch-Out remake scoring 5 stars in 2009.

Disregarding scores for GOTY discussion is still the right way to go.  Gamespot actually gave their GOTY award to Demon's Souls (9.0) over Uncharted 2 (9.5), so this isn't an isolated case.

#27 Posted by Aska (423 posts) -

I say, don't pay attention to the scores for comparison purposes, use them as shorthand for the quality of a game.  The written review is really where you get the stuff to compare.

#28 Posted by marlow83 (239 posts) -

Regarding the amount of time spent with games, like one person said, the game of the year isn't a democracy. Also, you can be aware of how good a game  without playing it. Everyone was aware of the different aspects of each game, and therefore was aware of how good each game was. Also, abut the original question, wii sports resort and punch out are very good at what they do, and were given five stars for being plain fun. It seems as though silent hill a better crafted, more technically proficient game  that surpasses expectations for wii games while taking advantage of the system's motion control well.

...And that's all

#29 Posted by Driadon (2995 posts) -

I dunno, if just hearing the twist was enough to cause the other three to pull out of their arguments and say that that alone is cooler and more impactful then what game I want to be on the list is without them even needing to play it, it says something about the game itself.

#30 Posted by Jeust (10480 posts) -

Quality doesn't seem to have an equal share of fun most of the times.

#31 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

After reading the story of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories...as well as researching a lot of the different outcomes that the game has in it...I don't see how any other Wii game could've been given the award.  I also think that Adam Sessler needs to choke on a dick for his review of the game.

#32 Posted by Fbomb (1168 posts) -

The game is obviously greater than the sum of its parts, and one that is judged against a higher standard in the genre it is categorized than the other two. Wii Resort is a 5-star sports compilation on the wii, Shattered Memories has a few bugs that were left in the game that took some people out of the experience. However, looked at side by side, Shattered memories was the better game. I'm pretty sure Brad didn't rate the game against Wii Sports Resort, he rated it against what he felt the potential of the game was, in relation to the Wii game catalogue and genre it occupied. In the end, like I said from the beginning, it happened to be more than the sum of its parts.

#33 Posted by ColinWright (741 posts) -

Who gives a shit? It won. Get over it. If you had played all of those games you would realize which is superior. Which is Silent Hill.

#34 Posted by Driadon (2995 posts) -
@Fbomb: Well said. Incredibly well said.
#35 Posted by EternalInfinity0 (163 posts) -
@Kingofallya said:
" Disscuss "
No.
#36 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I've put in about 87 hours into Wii Sports Resort, but Silent Hill: Shattered Memories story telling was some of the best I've seen in a while for a video game. As soon as I finished the game, I was compelled to start it again. I'm sure when it's all said and done I'll probably play through it 3 or 4 times. That's a pretty big deal for me, because I'm usually a one run and done kind of gamer. 

I had planned on getting the game a while ago, way before Brad's review and the Wii GotY award. I wasn't disappointed. Having only played Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2 and then leaving the series, I found it a nice reboot or an alternate Silent Hill reality. It's my favorite Wii game this year, that's for sure.

#37 Posted by rmills87 (463 posts) -
@AgentJ said:
"It doesn't matter. Punchout may have been perfect at what it did, while Silent Hill was the better game but still could have been better. It's a moot point though. "

Nicely said :)
#38 Posted by Daryl (1781 posts) -

There's more to it than just picking the one with the most pretty stars. 

#39 Edited by Iceland (163 posts) -

The game has some glaring flaws, that much is true, but what it does well it does so well that it definitely deserves GotY for the Wii.     
@jakob187 said:

" After reading the story of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories...as well as researching a lot of the different outcomes that the game has in it...I don't see how any other Wii game could've been given the award.  I also think that Adam Sessler needs to choke on a dick for his review of the game. "
It's clear that Sessler only played through the game once and didn't take into account that many of the things that looked like puzzles were in fact only there to examine you and your actions. Couldn't have missed the point of the game harder even if he tried.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.