Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill

Franchise »

Silent Hill is a survival horror game franchise that revolves around the tourist town of Silent Hill; its dark link with the occult and its co-existence with its two other-dimensional forms, "Otherworld" and "Nowhere".

Thanks to your help, I have taken the plunge... Any advice?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Sackmanjones

So I've posted a bunch of threads about Silent Hill, and thanks to your help I have just picked up both Silent Hill HD (seemed some people were disappointed but overall well received) and Silent Hill Downpour. I was just hoping to get some advice for a newcomer like me. Should I start with the hd collection or go straight to Downpour? Should I wait till the darkness of the night to play? I know psn+ gives me the first 1 for free so I plan on playing it. Thanks for the help guys, heres to hoping for an enjoyable series!

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MikeGosot

Play it at night. Always. And play 2 first, then 1, then 3, then Downpour. Have fun!

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @MikeGosot Appreciate it! Should the sound be cranked? Given I don't have a sound system but still
    efman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By efman

If you can withstand the temptation of jumping headalong into Downpour, I would play them in sequential order just to get a sense of how the games, leading up to the latest one you own, have evolved. This way I'd certainly enjoy the latest outing probably more than if I had gone the other way around. Some just can't deal with dated tech structured around artwork/atmosphere that, to this day, holds up, coming off of a current-gen title. Also, yes, playing them at night furthers the experience.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By StrikeALight

Combat is so janky, might want to turn it down a notch (easy). Its been forever since I played them, but SH2 is giving me chills.

efman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By efman

@Sackmanjones If a sound system is missing, headphones are just as effective as a nice setup in terms of immersion. But man, beware.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @efman Don't worry. The goal is to te scared shitless. Haven't had that probably since REmake. Loved that game and many parts where very moody and scary
    efman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By efman

I just don't have it in me to get scared by a game, it's just too unbearable a feeling, contrasted against movies where it's more of a static experience. I've willfuly ignored really scary games (like Amnesia and so forth), but I should probably give it a go since it is very effective. I digress. I was going to say that playing console games on the big screen with a functional pair of headphones -- wireless or not -- have been really effective for me in that it makes me feel like I'm more in proximity to what's happening in the game and the story that is being told. I couln't imagine it not being effective in a game as suspenseful as a Silent Hill type of game.

RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By RadixNegative2

I hope you do better than I do. I'm playing Silent Hill 2 right now and am having a hard time going through it. It's just too damn scary :)

Try to play with headphones and on a monitor if you can. I find that's the best way to be immersed, but that might just be me.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Sackmanjones: Like someone said already, play with headphones. Not for the immersion, but to be SCARED SHITLESS HELL YEAH! Also, someoe suggested you to play the game in order to see the evolution of the series, but you will notice that regardless of the order. I suggested Silent Hill 2 first because:
    • April will take some days to come. Play Silent Hill 2 these days.
    • If you play 1 and 3 one after another, the storyline references will be more "alive".
    • Silent Hill 2 is pretty fucking awesome and you shouldn't wait to play it.
    • Seriously, why are reading this list? GO PLAY IT!
    efman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By efman

@MikeGosot As someone who probably knows more about Silent Hill than I do (I really need to get back at some point), I agree with the order in which you advice him to play them in. I was more speaking to the idea of starting off with the first few games as a jumping-off point, just to avoid the obivously evolutionary disconnect from the appreciation you'd get from a current-gen title.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @MikeGosot
    @Sackmanjones: Like someone said already, play with headphones. Not for the immersion, but to be SCARED SHITLESS HELL YEAH! Also, someoe suggested you to play the game in order to see the evolution of the series, but you will notice that regardless of the order. I suggested Silent Hill 2 first because:
    • If you play 1 and 3 one after another, the storyline references will be more "alive".
    It seems like 2 is definitely considered the best in the series. So how is 3? And if you played it what do you think of downpour?
    VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By VierasTalo

Dude, just go play instead of asking what game to play. It's Silent Hill 2. It should not be something you need to think about extensively, just pop it in and play it. Now.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Sackmanjones said:
    @MikeGosot
    It seems like 2 is definitely considered the best in the series. So how is 3? And if you played it what do you think of downpour?
    My favorite is actually... 3! But maybe that's just my nostalgia speaking. You need to have played Silent Hill 1 first to understand some of the nuances of Silent Hill 3, but it's setting is way scarier in my opinion. And i only played 20 minutes of Downpour, it seems cool, but i started getting headaches when playing video games again (It's a long story.), so i stopped playing for a while.
    Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

@Sackmanjones: 3 is my Personal favorite in the series. It's not a popular opinion, and it's easy to see why, because 2 is a goddamn fantastic game. I will say that the HD remix isn't the best way to experience either game, as there are some pretty odd changes that manage to screw up an awful lot of the atmosphere that made the original versions so engrossing and oppressive. Still, even a lackluster version of SH2 and 3 are pretty good, and Downpour, despite some poor monster designs throughout, is one of the better games released since the golden days of the franchise.

WileyS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By WileyS

I think 3 is still really great. Unlike 2 though it is a direct sequel to 1 so i would suggest playing that first.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Make_Me_Mad

@Sackmanjones: 3 is my Personal favorite in the series. It's not a popular opinion, and it's easy to see why, because 2 is a goddamn fantastic game. I will say that the HD remix isn't the best way to experience either game, as there are some pretty odd changes that manage to screw up an awful lot of the atmosphere that made the original versions so engrossing and oppressive. Still, even a lackluster version of SH2 and 3 are pretty good, and Downpour, despite some poor monster designs throughout, is one of the better games released since the golden days of the franchise.

Cool sounds good. I read a thread on here about downpour and thought I'd pick it up because I had a pretty nice gift card ad nothing to get till may
    Beb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By Beb

So I am considering picking up the HD collection - but never played 1 either....It looks like Sackmanjones must have already asked this elsewhere, but what do I do about 1? Is it on PSN, or is there already a remake, or ?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Beb If you have psn+ you actually get the first 1 free next week. If you don't my guess is it's probably 4.99 on the psn store

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.