Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill

Location » linked to 18 games

Silent Hill is the fog-covered supernatural town that is the setting for many games in the series of the same name.

Zomg wtf! Silent Hill is real??

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Geno

Did a google search and: 

Anyone live there 0_0?
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

lol. Of course it would be in Texas. Texas is one of the scariest places on earth.

BackwardsHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BackwardsHero

especially for black people!  

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By LaszloKovacs

But isn't Toluca Lake in LA county?

Maybe Silent Hill is actually a large region of the southwestern US.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#5  Edited By vigorousjammer

it's in San Antonio?
    maybe it's just a shop that somebody named after the video game.

petitfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By petitfool

Ha, I checked Google Maps as well. It's about an hour's drive away from where I'm staying at. Turns out it's just a neighborhood road; I doubt the residents there know about their road's famous name.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FourWude

Silent Hill is a state of consciousness. 

*Moment of supreme clarity*

PK_Koopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By PK_Koopa

lol late but still funny to see reactions. 
    @m2cks: 
    Hopefully you can still sleep at night while knowing this.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Raymayne
    @m2cks said:
    " Ha, I checked Google Maps as well. It's about an hour's drive away from where I'm staying at. Turns out it's just a neighborhood road; I doubt the residents there know about their road's famous name. "
    Yeah God forbid anyone living there has played a video game.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By xyzygy

The place is actually inspired after an eastern community I believe. I can't remember the name of it right now, I'll try to find it. There was a mine there which exploded and now there are still fires below the surface. 

EDIT: It's called Centralia, Pennsylvania. Look it up. The place used to have 2000 people in the 60's but now has around 11. There are fires burning below the surface which sometimes cause the ground to crack and steam. There is even a street called Locust Street. Epic. There are some pretty cool pictures on Google. 

Look at that steam
     Look at that steam

Cracked ground 
    Cracked ground 

Very Silent Hillish.  
     Very Silent Hillish.  
    There is a picture of Locust Street which shows how the community dwindled down. Everytime I try to uplaod the picture it says that I didn't select a picture :S 

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.moviesharkdeblore.com/assets/images/Centralia_-_2001_-_Centralia_Photo_Archive.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.moviesharkdeblore.com/html/town_that_was_the.html&h=470&w=575&sz=160&tbnid=o-VVwq7yVkoPnM:&tbnh=110&tbnw=134&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcentralia&zoom=1&q=centralia&hl=en&usg=__4hKvu_xX7aFMHZPLNnVsjULKk1U=&sa=X&ei=twHGTIORIdO7jAeMlOW6BQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDMQ9QEwBQ     
    Sorry for the long URL, lol. 
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Binman88
    @xyzygy said:
    " The place is actually inspired after an eastern community I believe. I can't remember the name of it right now, I'll try to find it. There was a mine there which exploded and now there are still fires below the surface.  EDIT: It's called Centralia, Pennsylvania. "
    Yep. Crazy stuff. I haven't played any of the Silent Hill games, but I believe they neatly reference the true origins of Silent Hill in the movie a few years back, with ash falling from the sky when things start to go rotten for the protagonist. I might just be making that up, it's a while since I've seen it.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xyzygy
    @Binman88 said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " The place is actually inspired after an eastern community I believe. I can't remember the name of it right now, I'll try to find it. There was a mine there which exploded and now there are still fires below the surface.  EDIT: It's called Centralia, Pennsylvania. "
    Yep. Crazy stuff. I haven't played any of the Silent Hill games, but I believe they neatly reference the true origins of Silent Hill in the movie a few years back, with ash falling from the sky when things start to go rotten for the protagonist. I might just be making that up, it's a while since I've seen it. "
    That was in the games too. In Silent Hill 2 it snowed ash. I watched the movie many times and it tells about the same amount as the games do. I thought that movie was absolutely excellent with a great ending. It fit the theme of Silent Hill well.
    plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By plop1920
    @xyzygy: Thanks for sharing, damn thats a crazy story
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Binman88
    @xyzygy said:
    " @Binman88 said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    Yep. Crazy stuff. I haven't played any of the Silent Hill games, but I believe they neatly reference the true origins of Silent Hill in the movie a few years back, with ash falling from the sky when things start to go rotten for the protagonist. I might just be making that up, it's a while since I've seen it. "
    That was in the games too. In Silent Hill 2 it snowed ash. I watched the movie many times and it tells about the same amount as the games do. I thought that movie was absolutely excellent with a great ending. It fit the theme of Silent Hill well. "
    Oh, cool. Yeah, even not being a follower of the series, I could appreciate the things the movie did right - definitely in terms of atmosphere and creepiness. I might go back and start playing the SH games. I remember playing a demo on the PSone for one of them when I was younger, which scared the shit out of me at the time. I remember walking through a metal gate, down an alley past a bloody hospital bed and wheelchair, meeting some scary dogs and then immediately ejecting the disc.
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By ch3burashka

I'm sure the people of Silent Hill find that joke as endlessly funny as you do.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrKlorox
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " lol. Of course it would be in Texas. Texas is one of the scariest places on earth. "
    It IS in America after all.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mutha3
    @Binman88: If your going to be playing the original Silent Hill, just keep in mind:

It is VERY much a product of the nineties. Expect terrible VA work and clumsy controls.

If you're pressed for time and don't feel playing , like, 6 games(stay far away from Origins and Homecoming): I'd reccomend SH2 and Shattered Memories for the Wii.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Binman88
    @mutha3: No worries there, I don't mind fiddling about with clumsy old games :p Sure, the clumsiness and bad voice acting is part of the charm!
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mutha3
    @Binman88 said:
    " @mutha3: No worries there, I don't mind fiddling about with clumsy old games :p Sure, the clumsiness and bad voice acting is part of the charm! "
    Spoken like a true horror game fan.

( they didn't improve much since then, did they?)
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I think I remember this turning up on a Google search for me too, it's brilliant that there's a place actually called that. You also get a scarily high number of results for typing in Rapture, maybe Andrew Ryan did a few test Raptures on land before he built his underwater utopia.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.