Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hills

Game » consists of 0 releases.

What was to be a new entry in the Silent Hill franchise for the PS4 involving Hideo Kojima, Guillermo Del Toro, and Norman Reedus, was officially cancelled on April 27, 2015. The 'PT' demo of the game has also been taken off PSN.

Junji Ito and Silent Hills

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

In case anyone wants to be even more pissed off at Konami, Guillermo del Toro tweeted that JUNJI FREAKIN ITO was collaborating with Kojima and himself on Silent Hills:

If you haven't checked out his work, you really owe it to yourself. Unsettling as all hell, and would have been perfect for Silent Hill. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu....

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've read Uzumaki.

Fuck Konami

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ripelivejam

They should just make a game anyway already.

(I know, easier said than done...)

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

MOTHERFUCKER.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Uzumaki was so good.

I wish we could live in a world where compelling new stuff for old franchises wasn't continually smashed by corporate shitlords.

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Kojima, del Toro, Ito. A match made in heaven (or hell, considering the subject matter)

Of course Konami had to ruin it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is just cruel.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me this is just starting to sound like it would have turned into a big disjointed mess of ideas and if PT was even the smallest indication of the kind of game they were going for that wouldn't inspire much confidence either.

So I guess I remain totally indifferent about the death of Silent Hills, other than the part where every few months or so somebody pokes at the corpse enough to make Twitter get really upset.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't need to know this. Goddamnit.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh my god. This really could've been the greatest horror game ever, and probably one of the best games ever made.... Finally a game that could've topped Silent Hill 2. Been reading lots of Junji Ito' stuff, the man really is a master of horror. Can't stop reading some of these short stories.. so good!

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

FUCK.

Thank you for twisting the knife you motherfucker...

This whole Silent Hill project was some crazy fan dream from heaven that was ripped from us.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

Jesus. That could have been the best game ever made.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

"And here is some concept art where you can clearly see your childhood dog brought back to life, which would have been a feature in Silent Hills..."

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Of course. Why not? I look forward to news that David Lynch, the late Wes Craven, a young Tobe Hooper, Tim Burton in his prime, and a real-world manifestation of Pyramid Head himself were also working on this game. Maybe some news that the game was actually ready to be released, but Konami destroyed all existing code.

Oh well. I'm sure Silent Hill Pachinko: Sexy Horror Adventure will more than make up for a mere dream horror project with three of my favorite modern creative minds involved.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...I... I don't know what to say, really. A Junji Ito horror game is all i want.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It never would've seen the light of day.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not going to pretend to have any idea who Junji Ito is, but by looking at his artwork posted in this thread he seems like a natural fit for the project.

Konami can really go to hell at this point.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could say this project really spiraled down the drain....

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#20  Edited By audioBusting

Th—this game was made for those three...!

Edit: Now that I think about it, holes are a recurring theme in Silent Hill too...

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Junji Ito is a fucking brilliant horror manga artist. At least Uzumaki and to a lesser extent Gyo. Though, I think my favorite story of his is the short story at the back of Gyo's second volume called "The Enigma of Amigara Fault". The idea of being betrayed and horribly and irrevocably changed by a place you thought you ultimately belonged is a terrifying idea.

KyleBsure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone love's a scapegoat. Konami isn't the bad guy here.

The truth is, the Silent Hill games haven't been selling or reviewing well enough to warrant the amount of money needed to create a new game.

Think about that the next time you buy a Madden, FIFA or Call of Duty game.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kylebsure: I don't disagree with you, but at the same time I feel like everything was coming together (creatively at least) to make Silent Hills something truly special. The anger at Konami is so venomous because this was the best shot the Silent Hill franchise has had of a true return to form, especially coming off the goodwill and excitement generated by PT.

@sinusoidal: I bought Gyo almost solely for Amigara Fault. Deeply disturbing and fascinating. Part of me hopes that the del Toro / Kojima / Ito triad continue to work together in some way shape or form.

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

:(

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@kylebsure said:

The truth is, the Silent Hill games haven't been selling or reviewing well enough to warrant the amount of money needed to create a new game.

Oh, come now. If the Silent Hill franchise had not been selling or reviewing well enough to warrant a new game, Konami would have never released the Playable Teaser for one, announcing Guillermo Del Toro, Hideo Kojima, and Norman Reedus' involvement.

Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@shagge said:

Of course. Why not? I look forward to news that David Lynch, the late Wes Craven, a young Tobe Hooper, Tim Burton in his prime, and a real-world manifestation of Pyramid Head himself were also working on this game. Maybe some news that the game was actually ready to be released, but Konami destroyed all existing code.

Oh well. I'm sure Silent Hill Pachinko: Sexy Horror Adventure will more than make up for a mere dream horror project with three of my favorite modern creative minds involved.

You forgot to point out they got Akira Yamaoka to do the music and were looking into hiring John Carpenter as a second scenario writer. Just imagine a Silent Hill game in the vein of The Thing, and you get the idea.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By hassun
    GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Oh wow...that would have made me not even play the game myself because I would have seriously been too chickened out knowing that Junji Fucking Ito was a collaborator. I'd probably have some fucked up night terrors.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Oh what could have been! It really was a dream team collaboration making that game and such a shame that it'll never see the light of day.

Toug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By Toug

I look forward to the "Jodorowsky's Dune"-esque documentary about this game.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not going to pretend to have any idea who Junji Ito is, but by looking at his artwork posted in this thread he seems like a natural fit for the project.

Konami can really go to hell at this point.

Again, are Konami really at fault for canning a project spearheaded by three people that are unlikely to get into a room long enough to finish the thing?

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@hassun: man, that manga freaked me out.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Konami, aka "THE MAN", didn't want this art to get out there. Konami wants to keep us repressed, starving, so that we will consume any low-rent, addictive meal that they please to feed us! Fuck you I won't do what you tell me!

Honestly, this entire project seems expensive as hell and it just keeps getting more expensive with news like this. Its in that weird territory of being way too niche to cast a large enough net to even break even with the amount of money that would have been poured into this game.

Let's get real, if Konami lost their shit with an expensive project with "Kojima + TV Actor", imagine how toxic the idea of a project with "Kojima + TV Actor + Hollywood Director + Respected Horror Manga Man + Working on a Franchise That Has Been Shit for a Long Time" would be to them. So aside from the other obvious evils Konami may be up to, canceling this project most certainly is not one of them. Its a smart move for an unstable market.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fr0br0: By that logic, why undertake the project at all? It's not like Konami has never worked with Kojima before - surely he's somewhat of a known quantity after how many years? Konami set the wheels in motion, released PT into the world with a teaser for the thing, let Kojima and del Toro speak publicly about it, then canned it. Right or wrong financially, they absolutely made their own bed here.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By fr0br0

@fram: I think it is pretty telling that somebody high up on the chain at Konami looked at some numbers being spent on video games and looked at how much they were making on other known quantities and said "fuck that video game shit" after all of this was set in motion. Just because Konami has done bonehead moves before and it has worked out for them (Metal Gear Solid and Kojima are both things that should not exist with the amount of money thrown behind them because on paper, that anime/military shit wouldn't sell nearly the amount it needs to to make its huge budget back) doesn't mean that is a good model for them to live by.

By this logic, we can say Disney is the worst company for canceling Tron 3, but in actuality its smart as hell for Disney to capitalize on Star Wars and scrap Tron and put all focus on the money maker. It sucks for people looking forward to Tron or in this case Silent Hills, but people looking forward to those projects obviously aren't in the largest market. Companies can misjudge excitement for a property, doesn't mean they have to go forward with it all the way. They can cancel it all they'd like and save themselves from a larger money blow. It is their property.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fr0br0: you act like them stifling creativity for numbers is a good thing.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By cornbredx

I don't think he's that good at horror. So this isn't that big of a deal to me. (Edit: I should clarify this bad wording to mean I just don't find his artwork interesting, and doubly don't think it feels very much like it would fit Silent Hill- just my opinion though)

The game not being made at all is the saddest part, but Silent Hill 1, 2, 3, and 4 still exist so... there's always that which is fine.

I wish they'd at least release the old ones on GOG or something. It's not hard to get those games working still.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fr0br0: Tron is a victim of Disney's slate being too stacked - the last film made money, just nowhere near the amount that the Marvel properties have generated, or that Star Wars undoubtedly will. Comparing Konami to Disney doesn't entirely hold up in my opinion. The "moneymaker" in Disney's case is still big-budget tentpole blockbusters - using established franchises to minimise risk. The films Disney produces are largely held in high regard by the general public and also have fervent fanbases, and they are working with filmmakers who are maintaining quality and have a healthy respect for the source material.

Konami is doing nothing of the sort. It is sharp-turning out of a business environment that is no longer profitable, and relegating the likes of Silent Hill and Castlevania to window dressing for pachinko machines. Nobody is a "fan" of pachinko machines, nor is there any art or cultural worth to what they have to offer.

Konami would be wise to at least license out their franchises to smaller developers that care for their legacies, and might perhaps make something great from them. I'd love to see what Frictional might do with Silent Hill, or see if Derek Yu could redefine Castlevania as a modern roguelike.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Giant_Gamer

I don't think that we will ever see a horror team as good as team silent. I'm not demeaning the big names who were working on this project but i'm just saying that team silent have proved to us how good they are as a horror team 4 times on a row!

If i had a wish then it would be a kickstarter for a team silent project :_(

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Giant_Gamer

@kylebsure: Actually, Konami is the bad guy here. It started by announcing Silent Hill 2&3 on the same event. Then forcing team silent to make 4 their way. Then, kicking team silent which have been followed by the same type of mistakes....

1) late release

2) wrong consoles

3) suits control (according to devs)

4) low budget

..... And this.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fram: I believe comparing Disney to Konami is completely viable. If consumers did not enjoy the pachinko machines then the consumers would not use them and use somebody else's machines that they enjoy and thus Konami could not comfortably rely on those machines for money. Konami is using established franchises to minimize risk on their machines and who is to say that the Japanese market isn't totally eating those machines up, so just like Disney taking comic books and making them into movies. To think that Disney woulnd't jump out of a business that is no longer profitable is foolish. Disney said "fuck Lucas Art games" not too long ago and stuck with the thing that makes the most money for them, Star Wars shit.

Konami would be smart not to sell their franchises in case the market takes a turn for good. They don't care if some people want more games right now, there isn't enough money in it to put it at the scale and quality people want. And why would Konami be wise to license out their franchises? If you actually care about creativity you would play something despite the name it has. Don't say "Well X company should just do Y with the Z property." If game development were that easy, then Konami would have stayed in it.

@ripelivejam: I don't believe putting down any sort of creative work is a good thing. But I'm finding it intriguing that people are taking this Silent Hills being canned process personal. Corporations aren't people ya'll. They don't strive to be creative. They strive to make money or else they will go under. Konami is lucky to have other sources of income so they don't have to bank on risks in the game industry. If they didn't have the other income source then they may have needed a Silent Hills to push them along, but in this case they don't.

And I said it before, but I think Konami is a shit company, but for other reasons than canceling one project.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

Don't worry guys. Konami executives are still totally committed to making AAA games.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fr0br0: you act like them stifling creativity for numbers is a good thing.

Who said anything about the objective good? It's about what's best for business. Even if a product arrived, how long would it take and would they make back their costs on a franchise that's gone fairly cold. And is making back their costs enough?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.