Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hills

Game » consists of 0 releases.

What was to be a new entry in the Silent Hill franchise for the PS4 involving Hideo Kojima, Guillermo Del Toro, and Norman Reedus, was officially cancelled on April 27, 2015. The 'PT' demo of the game has also been taken off PSN.

Silent Hills Is Officially Dead

• 175 results
    ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Kojima said he bumped the quality down for PT so as to look more like an indie dev, but the quality was still amazing (albeit for a single hallway more or less). You think if they supposedly cut down on the assets they could keep it in budget and still amaze.

T3MPLESMITH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well... $#!%.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't see anything they could possibly do with Silent Hill that wouldn't be disappointing now. In a few years time I doubt we will be talking about Konami as a serious game developer.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is very disappointing. Silent Hill as a franchise was headed in the right direction with Del Toro and Kojima collaboration. Sadly it will not come to fruition.

nimbil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Puck this snit!

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Man, what is going at Konami? I wish we could have transcripts of their recent meetings so we could better understand what's happening. Of course, it's an impossible wish, but dang

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

What is even going on between Kojima and Konami? Did he try to plant a bomb in one of the female employees or something? I don't understand the fallout.

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That sucks, I usually avoid horror in general as it affects me quite strongly but this sounded really interesting. I would have definitely given it a go.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When was the last good silent hill game anyway? The gaming industry is hard for middle tier games as it is, so i'm not surprised a struggling?* company wouldn't take a risk on a game that probably would cost a shit load to make just to pay off del toro not to mention development costs.

And there is no guarantee they would sell any ip, you wish them to fail you may never see silent hill, mgs, castlevania again

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Konami has officially screwed the pooch and dumped it into a wood chipper.

Calling it now for shits n giggles: Kojima, Del Toro and SWERY join forces to create a psychological thriller game with 7 hours of cutscenes.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: Rumours are that the higher ups at Konami are tired of him. Their view is that he takes too long to make games, they cost too much money and the return on investment weighed up to the risk isn't worth it. They've other business portfolios which are doing better for them than video games and which don't take nearly as long to develop.

cid798

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not necessary but needed. Stay tuned.

Greyfox45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once again we are robbed of a great experience due to a company's internal politics.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This would've been my dream game, but when it was announced I was not getting too excited. I knew this project was at least 3 years from release and in that time a lot could happen to it (or to me).

When it got out that Kojima and Konami were parting ways I already anticipated Silent Hills to be canceled.

I'm also pretty sure that Kojima still wants to make a game like this, because he knows about the reaction P.T. got. I wouldn't be surprised if he got together with Del Toro again some day to make their 'new Silent Hill'-like horror game!

dougfunk15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't miss this at all. P.T.'s "gameplay" of walking in circles and staring at objects for 20 seconds hoping to hear a sound was fuc*ing terrible. Atmosphere was nice and creepy, but that was boring as hell to play.

TyrellOCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By TyrellOCP

Konami's E3 booth is going to be exciting this year.

Going to predict there won't even be any PES stations, just a burning oil drum in the middle of a square of plush carpet.

Pilzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Konami is going full pachinko.

JauntyHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Well there goes all the hope I had :(

JuRas_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Konami please sell Sillent Hill to Activision or Ubisoft!

Sillent Hill every year! Better then never!

Avatar image for lowestformofwit
    lowestformofwit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

When was the last good silent hill game anyway? The gaming industry is hard for middle tier games as it is, so i'm not surprised a struggling?* company wouldn't take a risk on a game that probably would cost a shit load to make just to pay off del toro not to mention development costs.

And there is no guarantee they would sell any ip, you wish them to fail you may never see silent hill, mgs, castlevania again

That's the point though. Silent Hill has been a joke since 2 but this collaboration promised something new with a genuine creepy atmosphere which is why it's such a disappointment that Konami, for whatever reason, has decided to pull the plug on this and continue to release their normal crap Silent Hill games.

PT was nothing like what they were working on though, the final game was never going to be first person, not with a celebrity attached to playing the lead. You never know it might have been just garbage too.

Still, in a world with so many mee-too FPS games this would have been a breath of fresh air, especially for a fan of the horror genre like myself. I mean, BLOPS3, Halo 5 and Battlefront all release this year just weeks apart. The industry needs to grow up.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't mind if Kojima went on to make an entire P.T. like game. Of course, without all the really complicated puzzles. Although I also wouldn't mind if he said "Hey, there's one very mysterious puzzle in this one too, see if you can figure it out" as sort of end-game content.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

For anyone who has been following these events closely, a few things to point out before I go into predictions:

1. Konami has been voluntarily delisted from the New York Stock Exchange. They are still listed in London and Japan. This was explained as a costs-saving measure (to the tune of $5m per year).
    2. Kojima's team has been renamed, and it's expected that he will be out of Konami by December.
    3. Konami made damn sure that the world saw their financial reports where their pachinko machines and other forms of "gambling" were making far more than their video games division.

Here are my predictions:

1. Konami will voluntarily delist themselves from the London stock market within the next two months to save more money.
    2. The money saved from delisting on those two stock markets will help them to provide money to back bills that are going through Japanese government in order to legalize gambling in the country, something that Konami has had a huge hand in working on.
    3. Konami will close down their game studios and console/computer gaming divisions before the end of the fourth quarter 2015, as they will want to get as much of a return on their MGS game as possible.
    4. Konami will most likely sell the Metal Gear, Silent Hill, and Castlevania IPs (as they will reap a ton of money for them to push into their slot machines). They might sell off the DDR rights to someone, but who knows? As for everything else they have, they will be using those trademarks and names for their slot machines, much in the way they have done with Neo Contra. I can already see a Gradius slot machine. *ugh*

Mark my words. Konami, the video game company, is going to be murdered by its executives and CEO...and they don't give a damn.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By kasaioni

@jakob187 said:

Konami will most likely sell the Metal Gear, Silent Hill, and Castlevania IPs (as they will reap a ton of money for them to push into their slot machines). They might sell off the DDR rights to someone, but who knows? As for everything else they have, they will be using those trademarks and names for their slot machines, much in the way they have done with Neo Contra. I can already see a Gradius slot machine. *ugh*

But they already said they were hiring an entirely new team for MGS games? Unless that was just a bluff. In which case that was totally useless because the majority of people don't want Metal Gear without Kojima.

In any case, I hope they do sell their IPs, but I don't think they will. Because even if it's not video games (or good video games) they can still do stuff with those IPs.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#175  Edited By totsboy

that's a bummer =/

Jagged85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

It's a shame a game with so much potential to revive survival horror has been cancelled... just because Konami doesn't like Kojima.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@oursin_360 said:

That's the point though. Silent Hill has been a joke since 2

lol no. Silent Hill 3 & The Room are just as good, Shattered Memories has one of the best stories in the series, and Downpour isn't nearly as bad as everyone proclaimed. Homecoming ain't so hot, nor is Origins.

Bunny_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

real pity PT was the first actually suspenseful scary thing I have seen in a long time it was extremely well made.

Oprahtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck... Finally went ahead and got a GiantBomb membership and this is the first thing i read... Maybe i should just cancel the subscription now, and just avoid the next 12 months of horribly depressing news...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.