Clarification

#1 Posted by theacclaimed (38 posts) -

I see Oblivion on this list and also KoToR.  Both of these games have dialogue trees in which you pick what your character says.  So in my eyes this means they aren't silent protagonists.  I was going to try removing them, but I figured I'd put it up for discussion since there are probably more games like this on the list than just those two.  What do you think?

#2 Posted by ninjadodo (194 posts) -

I would agree that even if there's no voice acting for the player character, written dialogue precludes him or her from being truly silent.

#3 Posted by dankempster (2254 posts) -

I also agree. Dialogue trees mean the protagonist in question is saying something, whether it can be heard or not.

#4 Posted by Bennyishere (1685 posts) -

I agree as well. Text is not silent.

#5 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -

Very true.

#6 Posted by GalvanizedNails (552 posts) -

yup totally agree remove them at once!

#7 Posted by HazBazz (1901 posts) -

Yeah they should be removed. A silent protagonst is someone that nobody hears talk, not even the characters in the game. Characters like Gordon Freeman and Link

#8 Edited by xruntime (1920 posts) -
ninjadodo said:
"I would agree that even if there's no voice acting for the player character, written dialogue precludes him or her from being truly silent."
I concur

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.