WTF did Silicon Knights do for the past 2 going on 3 years?

#1 Posted by _Phara0h_ (925 posts) -

So now that we know Silicon Knights is working on X-Men: Destiny but what did they do the past 2 years? How are they in business? Or are they the only developer that can keep a secret or does no one care what they do?

I would have liked to see Too Human 2....

#2 Posted by Unchained (1091 posts) -

They are subsidized pretty heavily by the Canadian Federal and Ontario Provincial Government. It's the same reason a lot of publishers have Canadian studios. The government helps pay the bills. 

#3 Posted by ReyGitano (2491 posts) -

Maybe they were working on Two Human 2? It's not like stuff has to be announced the moment they start work on something... though I guess 3 years is pushing it.

#4 Posted by HandsomeDead (11854 posts) -

I remember when Too Human came out, that horrible bastard Denis Dyack said his favourite class in the game was actually only in the sequel, so that would suggest they've been working on it since even before the first game came out. I honestly don't know what they do with their time because it's not even as if Too Human was super polished and groundbreaking.

#5 Posted by Unchained (1091 posts) -
#6 Edited by DukeTogo (1516 posts) -

Too Human tanked big-time, I think the boat sailed on the proposed trilogy before the game even shipped given the delays and bullshit that spouted from the head of the company (Denis Dyak) as he was diverting attention from his game tanking by coming up with out-of-nowhere nonsense about a one console world and other nonsense.

As for the last few years, probably restructuring the studio and starting on this X-men game.  Work usually begins on a game a good year or so before it gets announced, in that time it starts to gel and become an actual game.  Otherwise you're announcing an idea that may very well be nothing and take 2-3 more years to come out.

So basically, all of the above.  Since I don't think many people give a shit about what they do or the fact that they even exist.  SK was never a huge studio that millions followed.  Eternal Darkness was a niche title, Twin Snakes was a port, and Too Human was arguably their biggest project that was either going to make or break them as a standout developer - and it broke them.

#7 Posted by Goly (891 posts) -

A one hit wonder kind of studio, until they prove the contrary.

#8 Posted by septim (787 posts) -
@Unchained said:
" I really want them to do another Eternal Darkness.  "
That was heavily rumored to be the case... for awhile. Maybe those plans were scrapped when they saw the sales for Wii Horror titles, or for that matter even M-rated titles in general.

I'm surprised the company can survive with Dyack at the helm. That guy sounded legitimately bonkers whenever I heard him talk.
#9 Posted by Apathylad (3234 posts) -

I've been asking the same thing about Rare... 

#10 Edited by Jasonofindy (270 posts) -

I wasn't very impressed by Too Human, but the company's previous two original games (Blood Omen:Legacy of Kain and Eternal darkness) were both great.  I never played the MGS port.

#11 Posted by Giff (57 posts) -

They were making an unanounced title for Sega but it was put on hold due to the legal problems with EPIC and the Unreal engine.
#12 Posted by bartok (2642 posts) -

Huh I thought Too Human drove them to bankruptcy.  Glad to hear a cool company that released one super shitty over hyped game was able to survive.

#13 Posted by Azteck (7416 posts) -

They should call it Two Human. Just saying.

#14 Posted by Giff (57 posts) -

I guess I’m in the minority when I say I enjoyed most of my time with Too Human. I admired the imagination behind the games story and characters; even if the game didn’t present them in the most effective way. I also enjoyed collecting the armor and weapons despite the flawed gameplay.

#15 Posted by DoctorWelch (2817 posts) -

Who? (I actually know who, I'm just asking for effect)

#16 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1865 posts) -
@Azteck said:
" They should call it Two Human. Just saying. "
Damn straight (but I won't buy it).
#17 Posted by ch3burashka (5537 posts) -

They were working on X-Men. 

It's not that surprising. For example, Irrational has been relatively silent since Bioshock 1's release. It's not irregular for developers to go for years without announcing a game.

#18 Posted by SlightConfuse (3995 posts) -

working on the x-men game so it comes out in time for the movie next summer

#19 Posted by _Phara0h_ (925 posts) -
@slightconfuse said:
" working on the x-men game so it comes out in time for the movie next summer "
Next movie? what, I hope Activision knows that Silicon Knights are known for shipping there games late. Maybe they've been working on x-men all this time?
#20 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -
@septim said:
" @Unchained said:
That was heavily rumored to be the case... for awhile. Maybe those plans were scrapped when they saw the sales for Wii Horror titles, or for that matter even M-rated titles in general.  I'm surprised the company can survive with Dyack at the helm. That guy sounded legitimately bonkers whenever I heard him talk. "
Unless I'm mistaken, it's Nintendo's call on whether or not another Eternal Darkness gets made, isn't it?  Do they own the rights to the series, or is that with Silicon Knights?
#21 Posted by buzz_clik (7273 posts) -

No idea, but dollars to donuts it involved "reciprocity" somehow.

#22 Edited by mylifeforAiur (3475 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

" @septim said:

" @Unchained said:
That was heavily rumored to be the case... for awhile. Maybe those plans were scrapped when they saw the sales for Wii Horror titles, or for that matter even M-rated titles in general.  I'm surprised the company can survive with Dyack at the helm. That guy sounded legitimately bonkers whenever I heard him talk. "
Unless I'm mistaken, it's Nintendo's call on whether or not another Eternal Darkness gets made, isn't it?  Do they own the rights to the series, or is that with Silicon Knights? "
I think it's with Silicon Knights, at least it seems that way according to everything Dennis Dyack has said about the game in the past, but to be honest I'm incredibly ignorant on the matter :I
#23 Posted by vidiot (2891 posts) -

I don't understand the question.  

Right now X-Men Destiny has a release window of either Q3 or Q4 of next year. Regardless of how accurate that release window is, it does suggests that the game has been in development for a period of time. Were you under the impression that just because they released a teaser trailer, that's when they start development?

Current-gen development periods these days range all over the place. Development studios can become quiet for years at a time these days, there's nothing really special about Silicon Knights being equally silent.

#24 Posted by niamahai (1409 posts) -

I hope they hired someone who knows how to do dash animation this time.

#25 Posted by SlightConfuse (3995 posts) -
@THAfara0: 

X-men first class is filming now releasing june 3 2011 though this game is probably coming out later
#26 Posted by Shuborno (904 posts) -
@Apathylad said:
" I've been asking the same thing about Rare...  "
Rare's been doing Avatar and Kinect stuff. 

I think because their last few games (which are great) weren't successful enough for a first-party studio, they just got transitioned into a workhorse studio that does what the suits tell them to do.
#27 Posted by Shuborno (904 posts) -

I wonder if they had been ramping up for Too Human 2 prior to working on X-Men and then shelved it due to the less-than-blockbuster sales of Too Human 1.

#28 Posted by MattyFTM (14610 posts) -

I'm sure they've been working on something that they've just not announced yet. It's not uncommon for developers to go a long time working on something before announcing anything. Just look at Irrational - Bioshock came out in 2007 and they only recently announced Bioshock Infinity. That's three years between finishing one project and announcing the next. It's only been 2 years since Too Human came out.

#29 Posted by _Phara0h_ (925 posts) -
@slightconfuse:  Thats really what we need a prequel... Or maybe I'm just done with x-men movies especially after wolverine...
#30 Posted by buzz_killington (3655 posts) -

They had been working on a couple of things, a new IP, a game for SEGA, and this. The advances from the publishers and the government grants are enough to keep the lights on.

#31 Posted by Fona_Fett (12 posts) -

@DukeTogo: tru story, well said

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.