Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SimAnt: The Electronic Ant Colony

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Feb 26, 1991

SimAnt puts players in control of an ant that can fight, collect food, build an anthole, and invade someone's property.

Sim Ant and the Spider

Avatar image for thegreenbastard
    TheGreenBastard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheGreenBastard

I remember playing a lot of Sim Ant on the SNES as a kid. It got me interested in insects at school :D (Insects have 6 legs - arachnids have 8 - thank you Sim Ant!)
    However... to anyone who has played this do you remember encountering the spider? It had to be one of the most terrifying moments of my video gaming life. Having your poor defenceless ant run away from the huge, brown, hairy, tarantula looking bastard as it chases you down. All the while some horrible stomach churning music plays in the background in an otherwise innocent and carefree game. You would usually hear the music first before seeing the spider which made it all the more horrifying. This game gave me arachnophobia for the later part of my childhood... Oh yeah, when IT catches up to you it shows a scrolling death animation of your ant being digested while he eats you.
    Good news however - the day I managed to build up enough ants to kill that hairy bastard was one of the best days ever... then I proceeded to check that I did not have any spiders crawling on me at the time - you know the feeling...
    So, anyone remember playing Sim Ant? Is my story of the spider totally confined to my own experience? Surely not - that fucker was terrifying...

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By elko84

I loved SimAnt!  And you're right F that spider!!!

ApolloJ85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By ApolloJ85

I faintly recall playing SimAnt on some dos-based pc. It seems a strange concept for a game, who wants to simulate ants? And yes, the spider was horrific. I doubt anyone with arachnophobia could have played this game at all.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By shirogane
    @ApolloJ85 said:
    "I faintly recall playing SimAnt on some dos-based pc. It seems a strange concept for a game, who wants to simulate ants? And yes, the spider was horrific. I doubt anyone with arachnophobia could have played this game at all. "

Must be why i don't remember it at all, and also why i played very little sim ant. Spiders are scary in all games. I must have blocked this one out of my memory...
    Avatar image for thegreenbastard
    TheGreenBastard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheGreenBastard
    @elko84: 
    Hah, I'm glad I'm not the only one that hated that things guts. 

@ApolloJ85:
    Yeah it is a bit of a strange concept but I was a bit of a geeky kid who was into bugs (so naturally I'm a hit with the ladies) but it was really interesting at the time. It got me interested in insects and I managed to learn a thing or two from it. But they sure don't make games like this anymore.

I think the main reason that the spider was so terrifying was a combination of it naturally being a spider (ofcourse) and that it rushed towards you as opposed to fleeing from you - as most human beings are accustomed to. It was like it wanted to give you a big hairy hug or something... with 6 round black eyes... ugh....
    BeeMac420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BeeMac420

First time I've stumbled upon Sim Ant, Looks like I missed a classic!

P.S - Barb Lahey says get that Everlast Wrestling ring outta here

dragonkid165

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dragonkid165

sorry if this forum is dead but i remember on the computer version i used to destroy those spiders till the spider population is to low window poped up XD

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.