Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SimCity

Franchise »

A celebrated series of open-ended city building simulation titles created by Will Wright and Maxis, the SimCity franchise began in 1989.

What is your favourite SimCity game?

• 95 results
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#51  Edited By JJWeatherman

The original because it was simple and I played it first. 2000 was so awesome and bananas though. It's close.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#52  Edited By Daveyo520

I am scared when the mods fight ;_; 

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By FrankCanada97

Alright who chose SimCity Societies?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#54  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Sim City 2000 gets my vote. Don't get me wrong, 3000 is pretty good too, but 2000 is a bare bones classic with just enough complexity to be challenging yet fun.

Any love for Sim Golf? I have to say that I played a hell of a lot of that game.

I also hate to admit it, but I think Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 is actually the sim game that I've most enjoyed and spent the most time with over the years. Hold on...let me get my flame shield ready...OK, I'm ready now.
    fattonyxxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By fattonyxxl

What a piece of poo! :( I just bought Sim City 4 on the Steam sale because I couldn't be bothered finding my 3000 disc... What was wrong with 4 (or what was/is real good with 2000) 

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By nukesniper

Classic SimCity is the only one I owned (Until buying the SimCity 4 deal in EA week on Steam), but I did love 2000 when I saw it at a friends house.

I still have to be honest and go with what I know.
    Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#57  Edited By Mento  Moderator

Which is the one where you had to lay down all the water/sewage pipes yourself? Not that one.

Personally, I judge Sim Citys on what monsters their "monster attack" disasters use. Sim City's Godzilla is slightly better than Sim CIty 2000's giant black orb UFO with lasers from the Venture Bros intro. What did Sim City 4 have? Giant robots? That kind of sucks. So I'm going with the SNES Sim City for having Bowser nonchalantly stomping buildings. I like to think he got lost between switching games and is confused and upset.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @Mento said:
    " Which is the one where you had to lay down all the water/sewage pipes yourself? Not that one.Personally, I judge Sim Citys on what monsters their "monster attack" disasters use. Sim City's Godzilla is slightly better than Sim CIty 2000's giant black orb UFO with lasers from the Venture Bros intro. What did Sim City 4 have? Giant robots? That kind of sucks. So I'm going with the SNES Sim City for having Bowser nonchalantly stomping buildings. I like to think he got lost between switching games and is confused and upset. "
    SimCity 4 also had a giant T-Rex made out of city traffic.
    JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#59  Edited By JJGIANT

Yep 3000, thats the be all end all of Simcity games.
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#60  Edited By Dalai

There's no wrong answer (except SimCity Societies) but personally, SimCity 4 is the true answer. I will say that SimCity 2000 was the game the pushed the series forward more than any other.

@Hailinel said:
    " SimCity 2000 is that far ahead?  I didn't realize that there were so many masochists here.Have fun messing with sewer systems, you whack jobs. :P "
    Then you can stick with the original and have your citizens wallow in their own virtual shit. But what do I know? I'm a masochist.
    ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#61  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
    @fattonyxxl said:
    " What a piece of poo! :( I just bought Sim City 4 on the Steam sale because I couldn't be bothered finding my 3000 disc... What was wrong with 4 (or what was/is real good with 2000)  "
    Those driving missions are crap. Also things got a little too complicated by SimCity 4. So much so that oftentimes you felt like there were no real solutions to common problems like traffic or crime...then again that could have been the point all along. 2000 and 3000 have the right level of city planning and ease of use.

Also someone voted for SimCity Societies.

This poll is invalid.
    Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#62  Edited By Mento  Moderator
    @FrankCanada97:  Damn. That's kind of cool. Is it based on that scary bearded guy in Sim City 2000 who was in charge of transit? He seemed like super-villain material.
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Dalai
    @ZombiePie said:
    " @fattonyxxl said:
    " What a piece of poo! :( I just bought Sim City 4 on the Steam sale because I couldn't be bothered finding my 3000 disc... What was wrong with 4 (or what was/is real good with 2000)  "
    Those driving missions are crap. Also things got a little too complicated by SimCity 4. So much so that oftentimes you felt like there were no real solutions to common problems like traffic or crime...then again that could have been the point all along. 2000 and 3000 have the right level of city planning and ease of use. Also someone voted for SimCity Societies. This poll is invalid. "
    If you're playing SimCity 4 for the driving missions, you're doing it wrong. And what's wrong with complexity? It's not easy being mayor, council, urban planner, and God.
    Kirbichu54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Kirbichu54

SimCity for SNES. Gotta have my green-haired Dr. Wright.

swfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By swfcfan
    ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
    @Dalai said:
    " @ZombiePie said:
    " @fattonyxxl said:
    Those driving missions are crap. Also things got a little too complicated by SimCity 4. So much so that oftentimes you felt like there were no real solutions to common problems like traffic or crime...then again that could have been the point all along. 2000 and 3000 have the right level of city planning and ease of use. Also someone voted for SimCity Societies. This poll is invalid. "
    If you're playing SimCity 4 for the driving missions, you're doing it wrong. And what's wrong with complexity? It's not easy being mayor, council, urban planner, and God. "
    God mode is dumb. You don't make your terrain better. You work with it. Also having to reconcile your borders will literally fuck up your other cities if you don't know what you are doing. Constructing Highways was a pain...though it always has been. Secondly I find 4 unplayable without Rush Hour.

Also YEAH now I can add more trees and animals to my city.....What's the point of that if I'm just going to make an industrial hub?
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @ZombiePie said:
    " @Dalai said:
    " @ZombiePie said:
    " @fattonyxxl said:
    If you're playing SimCity 4 for the driving missions, you're doing it wrong. And what's wrong with complexity? It's not easy being mayor, council, urban planner, and God. "
    God mode is dumb. You don't make your terrain better. You work with it. Also having to reconcile your borders will literally fuck up your other cities if you don't know what you are doing. Constructing Highways was a pain...though it always has been. Secondly I find 4 unplayable without Rush Hour. Also YEAH now I can add more trees and animals to my city.....What's the point of that if I'm just going to make an industrial hub? "
    But what if you're starting a new region? All you're given is flat land, it's not a matter of making terrain better if there isn't any to begin with.
    PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By PixelPrinny
    I'd hafta go with 2000 since I probably put more hours into that than any others in the series (though SC for the SNES would be a close second), it had lots of great changes from the original and even took things from the SNES remake like gifts into account. 

While 4 had a lot of neat additions and fancier graphics, it was also an insane resource hog once cities got large, so I generally stopped whenever a city hit 100k people as my computer just couldn't handle it anymore :(

pikeplacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By pikeplacer

2000!
    Hardgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#70  Edited By Hardgamer
    @MattyFTM said:
    " So yesterday in the Happy Hour chat, there was some discussion about the SimCity series and which the best one is. The majority of people (myself included) said 2000. One or two insane people *Cough*ZombiePie*Cough* said 3000. So what say you Giant Bomb, what is your favourite SimCity game? Assume that all the expansion packs & any other additions to the games are included.   "
    ZombiePie said SimCity 3000? How's that possible?
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Dalai
    @ZombiePie said:
    " @Dalai said:
    " @ZombiePie said:
    " @fattonyxxl said:
    God mode is dumb. You don't make your terrain better. You work with it. Also having to reconcile your borders will literally fuck up your other cities if you don't know what you are doing. Constructing Highways was a pain...though it always has been. Secondly I find 4 unplayable without Rush Hour. Also YEAH now I can add more trees and animals to my city.....What's the point of that if I'm just going to make an industrial hub? "
    Matty did say to include all expansions and additions so naturally I'm talking about the Deluxe version, but I do like the vanilla version.

Creating terrain takes some getting used to, but I've had few problems with it and there's always 3rd party terrain generators if needed. And finally, you don't make an industrial hub where the llamas roam... that land should be protected so the llamas can roam free.
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By FrankCanada97

Seriously, who is picking SimCity Societies? You might as well be picking option "F".

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
    @Dalai: I think I downloaded entire gigs worth of mods to finally get 4 to be the game I wanted. That is again part of the reason why 4 is not the correct answer on what is the best SimCity game. Then again the community for 4 was amazing, so what did you vote for?
    PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#74  Edited By PerryVandell

I feel bad for admitting this but I've never played Sim City. Just never caught my interest I suppose.

Hardgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#75  Edited By Hardgamer

ZombiePie, is it true that you preferred Sims3000?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Dalai
    @ZombiePie: I voted for 4, but I realize it's not for everyone. If 4 never existed, I'd go with 2000... but I don't feel like fighting that battle with you.
    Lobster_Ear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Lobster_Ear

So...why haven't they made SimCity 5 yet?

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
    @Hardgamer:  Hell son. read my previous posts for more details.

@Dalai: How about you and me form a coalition government of SimCity 3000 forces and SimCity 4 forces to defeat the 2000 majority? POLITICS GET!
    weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By weltal

I have to go with 4, had some great times with the earlier versions but 4 pretty much was the best. Of course if you're talking best current Sim City style game then it's probably the Cities XL series, they're carrying the torch that Sim City left off.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#80  Edited By BigBoss1911
    @WoodenPlatypus said:
    "

Sim City 2000

Its the only one Ive ever played :D

"

fattonyxxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By fattonyxxl

Hehe what have I done ! xD Well no I'm not playing or those utterly awesome driving games I'm playing cos it was incredibly cheap. However I do agree that it is quite more complicated and tough but hey it's still fun

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @Lobster_Ear said:
    " So...why haven't they made SimCity 5 yet? "
    Because Maxis is essentially dead.
    fattonyxxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By fattonyxxl
    @FrankCanada97: Sad face...
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#84  Edited By LordAndrew

I don't recall which is which, so I chose 2000. Why did they have to go abandon that awesome video card-style naming scheme?

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

I've played the GBA version of Sim City 2000, and that was kind of terrible.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Red12b

sim city 2000 was cool...but Sim City 4 allowed me to drive cars around,,,

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#87  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @Red12b said:
    " sim city 2000 was cool...but Sim City 4 allowed me to drive cars around,,, "
    I'm going to have to agree with ZombiePie on this one, if you're playing SimCity 4 for the driving, you're doing it wrong.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By ProfessorEss

2G

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By sjupp

My only memories of playing SimCity was loading an existing city and then blasting the shit out of it with different forces of nature or aliens. I can't even remember what version it was.

drjota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By drjota

Two Words:Alien Invasion.
    And:The Cow
    And:The Alpacas
    And:MIDI Soundtrack
    And:Multiple Newspapers
    And:Urban Renewal Kit(.....dammit,couldn't keep that going...)
    And.......see a trend?

For nostalgia's sake and a game that could veritably stand the test of time(Especially when I can burn through those cities in SimCopter and Streets of SimCity),I vote SimCity 2000.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
    @Hailinel:  As a result of Matty's 2000 party having increased their support I am offering you to join my coalition of SimCity 3000 forces and Dalai's SimCity 4 forces. Only then can we take down Matty.
    Avatar image for relentlessknight
    RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#92  Edited By RelentlessKnight

Did not have a great time playing 2000, remembering back my elementary school days when I'm playing it on a MAC in computer class. 3000 and even 4 on the other hand was fun

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3000 is the best. It doesn't matter that it's the only one I played.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#94  Edited By Hailinel
    @ZombiePie said:
    " @Hailinel:  As a result of Matty's 2000 party having increased their support I am offering you to join my coalition of SimCity 3000 forces and Dalai's SimCity 4 forces. Only then can we take down Matty. "
    To thwart Matty, I will gladly join your coalition.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#95  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @Hailinel said:
    " @ZombiePie said:
    " @Hailinel:  As a result of Matty's 2000 party having increased their support I am offering you to join my coalition of SimCity 3000 forces and Dalai's SimCity 4 forces. Only then can we take down Matty. "
    To thwart Matty, I will gladly join your coalition. "
    Yeah, like a three party coalition is going to work. I'm happy to watch as your coalition crumbles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.