Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SimCity

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

The fifth major installment of the SimCity franchise is a new take on the old city simulation formula. It features asynchronous multiplayer as well as Maxis' new Glassbox engine, allowing for real time customization and upgrading of buildings.

Amazon is starting to remove negative reviews

Avatar image for deactivated-5b45500a95f79
    deactivated-5b45500a95f79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

The negative reviews for Simcity were approaching 2,000. Now its back under 1500. And the most 'helpful' reviews have been removed. Although they have been replaced by equally negative reviews. EA CEO must be on the phone with amazon falsifying these reviews. Ultimate shady...

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Petiew

I assume reviews were removed because they had language that wasn't in line with Amazon's terms of use and it turned into an offensive circle jerk. It's hardly some big EA conspiracy, since Amazon even has a warning message that the game is messed up on the purchase page.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't take a a conspiracy theory to remove reviews. It's a phone call that says. Hey, your not going to get your share of the AAA game profits unless we quell this.

And the top voted review was very appropriate and laid out well. it had 4,000 votes on it. It's now gone.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Its not like amazon hasn't done this before. Anytime someone says something really stupid on the news or something and has a book out the internet will screw with there reviews, then a month later they fix it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By handlas

Amazon can do no wrong...YOU TAKE THAT BACK.

User reviews are mostly garbage anyway so... good on them? Metacritic is probably the worst.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is surprising? review bombs happen, and websites respond?

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I think the difference between this and most cases of mass negative reviews is that this is deserved. When people give the new Call of Duty a 1/10, they are just wrong. They might not like the game, but it's not a broken waste of space, in fact, it's not even a bad game. At worst, it's entirely mediocre. SimCity, on the other hand, is completely unplayable. There may be a great game there, but all I can get to is a title screen with buttons that don't work. That's a 1/10 in my book.

I'm fine with it if Amazon is just deleting reviews that have no meaningful content, but they shouldn't be deleting reviews that say the game is a broken mess, because it is.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

this is surprising? review bombs happen, and websites respond?

cbarnes86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe the reviews that are getting removed are the ones that aren't helpful at all. I've seen numerous one line reviews bashing the game's DRM and that is it. No constructive criticism at all. I think it is real dumb when people as @mellotronrules put it, review bomb a game.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That's odd. Amazon is usually pretty good about review stuff.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

You seem pretty paranoid. If I had to wager I would bet that they are removing reviews that violated their terms for reviews in some way. The kind of people who would go and review bomb a game don't strike me as the kind of people who would respect those rules.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#13  Edited By TheMasterDS

Eh, in fairness according to Amazon SimCity is not out yet. And it won't be out again until the servers are fixed. Thus a lot of the content of the reviews will be useless to people buying when it is made available. That doesn't make it better for people who have bought SimCity before they pulled it and want to vent their frustrations but if they really regretted buying the game Amazon is apparently taking returns last I heard. Way I figure those people are like me. Angry they can't play it but goddamn it do they want to play it.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

They will be back...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.