Buying a PC just for this game!

#1 Posted by Wadawoodo (58 posts) -

So I'm a Mac guy and I'm assuming this will be out on Mac but it won't be as good as the PC version.

My question is that if I were to get a PC to run this game (well) what would you recommend on the market at the moment?

#2 Posted by believer258 (11794 posts) -

You could just get Sim City 4. Twenty bucks says that this reboot still won't beat that one.

Anyway, if someone were to build a PC now, I would recommend at least an HD 7850 graphics card, an i5 3470 processor, 8GB of RAM, at least a terabyte of storage on a 7200 RPM HDD, and a 600W power supply.

You could go lower and still get decent results but it wouldn't really last as long.

#3 Posted by Nikoran (165 posts) -

You'll be disappointed. The new Sim City is going to be the death of the series.

#4 Posted by TimesHero (679 posts) -
#5 Posted by Shortbreadtom (750 posts) -

@Nikoran: Why?

#6 Posted by MURDERSMASH (251 posts) -

@Shortbreadtom said:

@Nikoran: Why?

BECAUSE DRM AND ORIGIN ARE LITERALLY HITLER /sarcasm.

Seriously though, this SimCity reboot looks incredible. So what if the cities aren't as big? They certainly look far more complex than ever before.

#7 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4338 posts) -

@Nikoran said:

You'll be disappointed. The new Sim City is going to be the death of the series.

Oh, one of those guys.

#8 Posted by mclakers (125 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@Nikoran said:

Oh, one of those guys.

#9 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

Be sure to get Sim Copter while you're at it. That game lets you fly a helicopter through your Sim City.

#10 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

Thinking about pre-ordering just to get the day-1 content in terms of the Super Hero and Super Villain lairs. The game might not be a huge step forward in terms of new gameplay features but I've been missing a Sim City game for quite a while. I guess the next step is to further bond The Sims with Sim City and add some more multiplayer aspects like for example allow players to co-op or adversarial manage ONE city of Sims. In adversarial mode you'd have to struggle to get your wishes through and perhaps do some lobbying with certain groups of the Sims community, sabotaging and bribery, you know, like in all city politics.

#11 Posted by JacDG (2119 posts) -

I've never played a sim city or a city builder before, would this game be a good place to start? It looks pretty cool.

#12 Posted by MURDERSMASH (251 posts) -

@JacDG said:

I've never played a sim city or a city builder before, would this game be a good place to start? It looks pretty cool.

It's not out yet, so I can't say for sure. However, based on the footage we've all seen so far on Youtube and what-not, it looks friendlier and more streamlined than ever before. So yeah, i'd say this looks like a great place to start.

#13 Posted by Nikoran (165 posts) -

@Shortbreadtom: From what I've seen it's a lot like Tropico 3. But of course, that may not be a bad thing.

#14 Posted by Abendlaender (2785 posts) -

@Shortbreadtom:

Cause they changed the color of its hair!

but seriously, I'm still cautiously optimistic. Wont preorder it, but my wallet is ready to buy it

#15 Posted by rahulricky (210 posts) -

I really want to get this but the always-on internet thing means I probably won't. My internet is pretty iffy, when it's good it's great but when it's bad it cuts out every few minutes.

#16 Posted by Fattony12000 (7298 posts) -
#17 Posted by HeyImPhoenix (169 posts) -

Good man!! It's going to be awesome :)

#18 Posted by buft (3315 posts) -

What makes you think the mac version won't be as good? I dont have any proof either way im just curious if theres a history of problems wit the sim games on mac

#19 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

@buft said:

What makes you think the mac version won't be as good? I dont have any proof either way im just curious if theres a history of problems wit the sim games on mac

This, it will be absolutely fine i'm sure, don'y buy a PC for one game if your mac can run it.

#20 Posted by stewmody (22 posts) -

@TimesHero: Dude thank you! Being a Mac only guy for 15+ years, I'm ready to venture into PC gaming DIY style. However, I am completely blown away by the vast array choices, specs, ect. The website you mentioned is exactly what I need to help me narrow my choices.

#21 Posted by Blackmoore (254 posts) -
#22 Edited by ripelivejam (3799 posts) -

@TimesHero said:

This might help you (or anyone else) out.

just want to say this looks like a damn fine site. will use it when i can eventually scrape together the change to upgrade my nearly 6 (! feels like i built it yesterday) year old CPU and mobo. thank you!

#23 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4338 posts) -
#24 Posted by Sparkul (37 posts) -

If they weren't doing a native version of the game, I probably would have just bought it for Windows and just booted onto that partition. Shit usually runs pretty solid on this 2011 MBP.

#25 Posted by Zereta (1365 posts) -

I've got a Mid-Late 2010 Model Macbook Pro and I'm probably holding out until later in the year for the Mac version of the game to come out. Hopefully, it runs well.

And hopefully it has multiple platform support. My gut says "LULZ ITS EA DAWG PUBLISHERS AIN'T YOUR FRIEND". My heart wants to believe.

You hear this, EA? Prove my heart right and make me a loving person.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.