Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SimCity

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

The fifth major installment of the SimCity franchise is a new take on the old city simulation formula. It features asynchronous multiplayer as well as Maxis' new Glassbox engine, allowing for real time customization and upgrading of buildings.

Can you say "class action lawsuit"?

• 77 results
    ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By ZZoMBiE13

Because I damn sure can.

Make no mistake, I like this game. I don't care about the small city size, the mutliplayer focus that so many people are lamenting, and in theory I don't even mind the always online crap. If it worked.

It's not like it should have been difficult for them to plan ahead for. They push pre-orders, they know there is a huge interest in the game. It should not have been that far fetched to prepare enough servers to meet demands.

I'm not the type to complain. I'm patient, I'm not an "entitled" type of person by nature, and I can weather a bit of a hiccup. But this isn't a hiccup. This is borderline theft. They want me to wait in a queue and maybe, MAYBE get a slot to play in 20 minutes from now. But it damn sure didn't take them but a few seconds to hit my bank account for the pre-order fee.

EDIT: Since tone is a difficult thing to convey in text, I guess I need to clarify. I'm not really suggesting we organize something like a lawsuit. It was hyperbole as a means to vent frustration, not a true "rally cry". Sorry if anyone thought I was seriously suggesting it (as some posts below would suggest).

The launch situation has been frustrating for many of us, probably most of us. But of course it will get ironed out and things will settle down. For the sake of not wanting to anger anyone, if a mod would be so kind, we can probably lock this post before I start getting hate mail. Thanks. And again, sorry if anyone thought I honestly meant "Lets get to suing!"

GinjaAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By GinjaAssassin

I'm in the same boat. Anyone know why it would hurt to use one of the European servers (I'm in US)?

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Someone explain the situation exactly?

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in the same boat. Anyone know why it would hurt to use one of the European servers (I'm in US)?

I'm trying this but it won't allow me to create any cities, though I was able to access the main menu and options menu! (small victories, people!)

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Lawsuits won't work.

The only thing that works is if consumers speak with their wallets and stop shoveling money into the pockets of companies that insist on pushing these shady business models.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Can you say "frivolous lawsuit"? Because I'm sure the judges can.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

They're offering refunds.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking as hard as I can but I'm not seeing any cases here. Yeah, shit happened but it's the release day of an always online game. This always happens. People always overreact and lose their minds and then shout "IM GONNA SUE 'EM" and nothing comes of it because there's no case.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

class action lawsuit

GinjaAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@excast said:

Lawsuits won't work.

The only thing that works is if consumers speak with their wallets and stop shoveling money into the pockets of companies that insist on pushing these shady business models.

I completely agree with the 'speak with your wallet' motto, but I liked the beta and didn't realize EA would be so unprepared (unintentionally?).

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12  Edited By JasonR86

It's day one. You're being just a tad dramatic don't you think? Fucking shit.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you say "frivolous lawsuit"? Because I'm sure the judges can.

And would. And then laugh.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mariachimacabre: @video_game_king: @excast:

Just for the record, this is more meant as hyperbole to deal with frustration than a genuine attempt to organize a lawsuit movement.

It's just frustrating. I know we're all in the same boat. And we're all annoyed.

It shouldn't be this difficult. If they wanted to sell this kind of game, it seems like they could prepare a bit better is my point.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Just for the record, this is more meant as hyperbole to deal with frustration than a genuine attempt to organize a lawsuit movement.

Good, because you probably signed away that right in the EULA.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a couple days the game will work perfectly fine and everyone will get over it

Same thing happened for the MVM update for TF2

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm sure the judge will love to hear your damages, "but judge, I had to wait in a twenty minute queue!"

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By excast

@ginjaassassin: And I hear you. You would hope that a franchise with as much history and such a dedicated fan base would be treated right. But at the end of the day, we need to stop acting like these mega corporations have our best interests at heart.

They did the same thing with Diablo 3 and look at where that game ended up. An afterthought on most GOTY lists that people quickly grew tired of. But they got the money and that is all that mattered. Fuck the customer experience.

What it comes down to is this. Make them EARN your dollar. There is never really any reason to pre order a game or get it day one. Let others pay to be beta testers of unfinished products. Give your money to companies that show you respect and deliver a product that doesn't insult your intelligence or feel like robbery.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By big_jon

You know I have played a fair few multiplayer games that don't work for the first few days, before you make the claim that this is different because it's single player, some of these games were often bough souly for the multiplayer.

You know if you want to get angry about something get angry about the steady decline in EA's last few games, clearly due to EA pushing them out too fast, and pushing their shitty agendas on the developers.

I get that it is frustrating, but if it bothers you that much contact EA directly, or return the game.

Lawsuits for things like this are fucking retarded, it is people trying to cashout on bullshit.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, if people don't push back and say this is unacceptable then it will only get worse. No need to be apathetic and chalk it up to "release day woes." We pay money, they provide a service, if the service doesn't work then money needs to be returned.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mariachimacabre: @video_game_king: @excast:

It's just frustrating. I know we're all in the same boat. And we're all annoyed.

It shouldn't be this difficult. If they wanted to sell this kind of game, it seems like they could prepare a bit better is my point.

It shouldn't be but this isn't an issue exclusive to EA's games. Every game that requires a constant connection has had these issues. And any attempt to sue them would be met with the reality that multi-billion dollar companies tend to have legal teams of gargantuan size.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@mcghee said:

I'm sure the judge will love to hear your damages, "but judge, I had to wait in a twenty minute queue!"

in those twenty minutes I COULDVE CURED CANCER

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have hugely popular online-centric games ever worked on day 1? I mean, ever? Half Life 2? Guild Wars? StarCraft II? Diablo III? Any other MMO? Why do people honestly expect them to work? Why do we still consistently scream that its mistreatment of the fan-base when we should really understand that this is part of getting a game that is insanely popular and relies on server fortitude.

Wait a few days if it bugs you that much, you've already waited 10 years. Its not like you're the only person in the world who has the problem, after all.

TangoUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TangoUp

Waiting in line for 20 minutes to play a game?

LOLWUT? EA. Bringing customer support service to your game ... today.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tangoup said:

Waiting in line for 20 minutes to play a game?

LOLWUT? EA. Bringing customer support service to your game ... today.

It's more like "Wait in line for 20 minutes to view a network error and then be booted back into the 20 minute line"

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys should have expected this shit to happen with this kind of DRM. Lesson learned. Don't support persistent online single player games.

TangoUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hwy_61 said:

You guys should have expected this shit to happen with this kind of DRM. Lesson learned. Don't support persistent online single player games.

I daresay they deserved it after buying it, knowing it required you to be online to play SP.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TruthTellah

@zzombie13: We'll see how it is in a week. Launches are tougher than people think.

I mean, just look at Giant Bomb's recent launch. They planned ahead, and it was still a horrible mess. It got stable within a day or two, but it's still not fully back up to what it should be. This stuff takes time. If SimCity can be stable in the next few days and stay solid by next week, I'd say it's almost a successful launch of such a big online game.

(And a class action lawsuit at this point is out of the question. They bought their tickets; they knew what they were getting into. I say, let em crash.)

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subyman said:

Hey, if people don't push back and say this is unacceptable then it will only get worse. No need to be apathetic and chalk it up to "release day woes." We pay money, they provide a service, if the service doesn't work then money needs to be returned.

To this I say...

@jams said:

They're offering refunds.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Just take the refund, it was always going to happen on a MMO like this, too bad it plays like a single player game with facebook game mechanics.

You know what would of made this game legitimately awesome only, instead of just have a square to build the city in the region you and your friends could just build anywhere it the region, multiplayer real time city building. So you can see what your friends are building live.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can, but not without falling into uncontrollable giggles over the idea of it.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Everyone that is complaining please uninstall your game and get a refund or whatever. I will then move up in the queue. Thank you.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BestUsernameEver

I can't.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Only that your cities are tied to the server which may or may not cause issues down the line.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sirdesmond
    @jasonr86 said:

It's day one. You're being just a tad dramatic don't you think? Fucking shit.

The entire internet is one massive persion being a tad dramatic at all times.

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this
    this

widmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They did. They prepared for the long run, where investing in a shitload of servers for the first week or so won't make any sense.

I appreciate your more serious posts. Also, I'm just about completely sure that you are absolutely right about this. In a few weeks, maybe a few months from now, the game will see a large drop off in concurrent players so the servers will be able to handle the load. If EA had shelled out to have enough capacity to serve everyone simultaneously on launch they would end up with a bunch of idle servers just a short time down the line. That is a cost that, as a business, makes absolutely no sense to incur. I'm not condoning it (I'm waiting in the queues too) but I certainly understand the thinking behind it.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In all seriousness if an actual class action lawsuit came out of this I would personally think everyone who was involved in it are the worst people on the planet and that karma would lay the mother-fucking hammer down on them at any moment.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

People should get some perspective and learn how servers work before creating an uproar every time a widely-anticipated game with online features is busted at launch. If it's still like this a week or two from now, then you can start bitching.

Hell, you can even look at the relaunch of this very fucking website. 500:actual site ratio >2:1 for the first 2-4 days.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can say "lol," is that close enough?

Online games get hammered for the first week or two. You can avoid this in future by not buying online-only games until after the rush (or never).

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

Everyone who bought this game is part of the problem. You said yes to always online DRM when you bought it.

You all made your horrible always online beds, now sleep in them! :D

SpicyRichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most frustrating thing is that it's online.

I don't wanna play online.

I play games to get away from idiots, I deal with them at work all day long.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zzombie13:

(And a class action lawsuit at this point is out of the question. They bought their tickets; they knew what they were getting into. I say, let em crash.)

Heh, nice one. Airplane, right? Or am I thinking of another 80s movie?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

@zzombie13:

Heh, nice one. Airplane, right? Or am I thinking of another 80s movie?

heh. Yes, it's a reference to Airplane. :)

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

If I had to guess, the European serves don't exist, considering this game isn't out in Europe yet.

I can't believe you guys are talking about class action lawsuits for a game that has been out less than 48 hours, and isn't even out in most of the world.

Fucking paaaathetic.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Somebody needs to install a filter that changes "class action lawsuit" to "most annoying phrase in the English vocabulary".

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By Winternet

Ok, ok, let me try: Class Action Lawnsuit. Oh wait, I fucked. Man, it's not that easy, huh. Here I go again: Class Action Lawsuit. Yeah, I think I got it. Class Action Lawsuit. Yeah!

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the one hand, I totally sympathize. It's super frustrating when this happens and EA made a series of really bad decisions that have exacerbated this situation.

On the other hand, people are acting like god damned infants. Just whining and screaming because the game isn't accessible immediately. If this is still going on in 48 hours then maybe this level of outrage is deserved. Just calm the fuck down. Play something else for a few days.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.