Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SimCity

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

The fifth major installment of the SimCity franchise is a new take on the old city simulation formula. It features asynchronous multiplayer as well as Maxis' new Glassbox engine, allowing for real time customization and upgrading of buildings.

EA and Maxis strike gold again! (Facebook post)

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Sooty

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151549164609866&set=a.10150671443859866.416315.160156464865&type=1

So are you guys excited to further beta test SimCity, despite them charging more than what any other PC game costs? (excluding Blizzard games)

and look at some of the people posting positive comments, you can tell they are accounts created by EA employees as a most have stock photos and have 'liked' only EA games.

Convenient.

This is so gross. Some are being a bit OTT in the comments (Internet) but many of the complaints are legitimate, this game is truly quite busted even now that the servers are mostly fixed - but some are still losing cities and having other issues with the region play.

edit: Oh wait what I could have sworn I was in the SimCity forum.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

EA is the best.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I keep thinking we wouldn't have these problems if the game was delayed 3-6 months to work out the bugs. And larger cities.

I'm officially done with this game until they fix all the issues.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

YEah how dare they try to correct things and try to make it a better game.

These monsters. How could they.... I feel offended.....

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Humanity

I did like that one guys post "how about the too little too late speed?"

how do you retweet on facebook?

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Is the lack of Cheetah speed the reason why I was always so low on cash even though I had a positive income?

Or do I just suck?

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@darji said:

That's not the issue. The issue seems to be that they launched the game with major problems like this in the first place.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sooty

@darji said:

The king has already said it, it's added insult to injury that they released this game in such a state and charged more than any other PC game.

It's a fundamentally flawed game, it's quite funny just how broken it is as anyone who has checked /r/SimCity in recent weeks will have found out.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

The point is they should've done that before releasing the game not after. Its sort of an admittance that they released the game without testing everything to make sure everything would run properly and now their only doing this because of how poor of a state the game is in and b/c they are getting massive amounts of shits for their game not running properly. Its really a kick in the teeth for you if you bought this full price at launch.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#10  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @sooty said:

So are you guys excited to further beta test SimCity, despite them charging more than what any other PC game costs? (excluding Blizzard games)

Mass Effect 3 PC - $59.99

Skyrim PC - $59.99

Bioshock Infinite PC - $59.99

As far as day-one PC purchases go, I think I've paid $59.99 as often as I've paid $49.99 in the past few years.

@darji said:

That's not the issue. The issue seems to be that they launched the game with major problems like this in the first place.

But attacking them every time they take a step towards bringing the game to where it should have been is extremely counterproductive. Not only are you not telling them anything they don't already know, you're diluting the message with the impression that at this point you simply have it in for SimCity and EA, no matter what state the game is in. It almost would be better if they just stopped trying to fix the game, since that way there wouldn't be any good news updates for people to shit all over and we could just move on.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King

@starvinggamer:

I'm not saying I agree; I was just trying to clarify, or at least theorize.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MAGZine

@sooty:

No Caption Provided

Honestly though, they're making an honest attempt to test their fixes before they deploy them and you critique them. Weren't you complaining before about them not testing their product before releasing it? What more do you want?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@magzine said:

@sooty:

No Caption Provided

Honestly though, they're making an honest attempt to test their fixes before they deploy them and critique them. Weren't you complaining before about them not testing their product before releasing it? What more do you want?

How about a game that wasn't so fundamentally broken out of the gate?

When it's apparently possible to create Ron Paul's utopian society with a 1.8 million population comprised entirely of residential zones with no utilities or city services, all funded on a 0% tax rate, it's telling that the flaws are in its core design.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MAGZine

@hailinel: this is not a bug that affects my gameplay, though I'm not sure how much time you spend building 100% residential cities.

Like someone else said, if there was a bug that caused Mario to lose all lives and end the game if he jumped in place 1000 times, I really wouldn't care because that's not how I play the game and so it doesn't bother me.

My point isn't that it's fine that the game is broken, but rather that you shouldn't beat them up for trying to do the right thing (unless if you want them to do the wrong thing).

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By captain_max707

As much as they may deserve it, I really don't like how people are continuing to bash EA on this. All I can think about are the people having all these terrible, hateful comments directed towards them when they likely had zero to do with how that game was designed and how it turned out. There's being upset at a product for failing to live up to expectations, and then there's aggression for the sake of aggression.

I guess EA is at fault for that too, though, seeing as they continue to pretend everything is alright. It's a shame this has turned into such a shitty situation.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magzine said:

@hailinel: this is not a bug that affects my gameplay, though I'm not sure how much time you spend building 100% residential cities.

Like someone else said, if there was a bug that caused Mario to lose all lives and end the game if he jumped in place 1000 times, I really wouldn't care because that's not how I play the game and so it doesn't bother me.

My point isn't that it's fine that the game is broken, but rather that you shouldn't beat them up for trying to do the right thing (unless if you want them to do the wrong thing).

It's a demonstrable flaw in the simulation. One of apparently numerous.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: I was never saying that it wasn't. I'm saying that nobody builds cities like this and it's a dumb example to bring up.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magzine said:

@hailinel: I was never saying that it wasn't. I'm saying that nobody builds cities like this and it's a dumb example to bring up.

Why is it a dumb example? And if no one builds cities like that, what do you call Megabumtopia? A mass hallucination?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

How patronizing.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: nobody builds cities like that in the same way that nobody plays games like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vACc4FXM0A

No, it's not the same, but you get the idea. Yep, a glitch exists, nope, it doesn't really affect anyone.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EXTomar

So when Maxis marketing and advertising claims that they have an advanced simulation that produced accurate results that requires cloud infrastructure to generate realistic responses but it turns out to be lies in multiple respects, it doesn't count because it is a video game? It is really all our fault that SimCity doesn't feel like it behaves or functions correctly. Gotcha.

If you need another hint: I don't believe people believed that SimCity would make the expert in real world city planners. That doesn't mean they can make major promises, fail to deliver on them, and then act like nothing happened.

I do understand @starvinggamer stance but what other recourse does a buyer have against this kind of behavior. Of course we want SimCity fixed but that fix should come because buyers are unhappy about the game where doing the opposite (being nice) in hopes that placates Maxis to address issues is kind of perverse. Also I do wonder if you are onto something that SimCity might be a lost cause given the scope of the fundamental flaws discovered in various systems and subsystems in the game. Is it worth fixing this game or just abandoning it and starting over? I am not sure either way where in the perfect world I would like to see them fix this game, abandon it and release a much improved "next version" some other day.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Darji

@hailinel said:

@magzine said:

@sooty:

No Caption Provided

Honestly though, they're making an honest attempt to test their fixes before they deploy them and critique them. Weren't you complaining before about them not testing their product before releasing it? What more do you want?

When it's apparently possible to create Ron Paul's utopian society with a 1.8 million population comprised entirely of residential zones with no utilities or city services, all funded on a 0% tax rate, it's telling that the flaws are in its core design.

Didnt they already figured out that this is just a bug because of having a 0% tax rate? Nothing big really. But I love how people try and try and try tom make the game even worse. IT is like they killed teir children and now they are on revenge. Was the same with DMC. People only played it too look for glitches and bugs^^

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That copy of Dead Space 3 and the countless hours I have already put into Sim City, I really don't feel ripped off at all.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@hailinel said:

@magzine said:

Why is it a dumb example? And if no one builds cities like that, what do you call Megabumtopia? A mass hallucination?

No one builds cities like that if they are actually playing the game the way it's meant to be played. Just like my example (thank you) of Mario jumping 1000 times in place causing him to lose all his lives. Yes it's a bug. Yes you can take video of it to prove that it's a bug. Neither one of them would have any impact on anyone playing the game who wasn't looking for it on purpose.

@extomar: I'm not saying Maxis gets a free pass. I'm just saying there are constructive ways of going about it and this isn't one of them. This thread is essentially calling Maxis out for fixing their game. What is the message here? "You're trying to make the game better for the people that would still like to enjoy it? Fuck you, those people should suffer." The damage to EA and Maxis in terms of popular opinion has already been done. The only people this specific level of internet hatred can hurt at this point are the players.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this game will be the knock out punch that will teach people not to pre-order EA games...

It won't.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EXTomar

Maxis and EA are "big boys" so they can take the criticism. You've got a point that many gamers are being whiners but that is them where Maxis needs to do the right thing regardless of what people or whiners want.

Which gets back to the FB post: I would appreciate it if they wouldn't couch fixes like new feature/content updates. It is insulting to suggest I should be excited about something that should not have been a problem in the first place.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Hunter5024

Yeah I'm pretty much done with this game for now. I do think it will be awesome in a few months once all of these bugs are figured out and mods have found ways to save offline and increase the city size. Unfortunately whenever that time comes I doubt people will be willing to give it a second chance.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Worth adding that the population numbers are heavily inflated by the engine to make the cities seem larger then they are.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sooty

@starvinggamer said:
    @sooty said:

Skyrim PC - $59.99

As far as day-one PC purchases go, I think I've paid $59.99 as often as I've paid $49.99 in the past few years.

UK:

Mass Effect 3 PC - £25-£30 (Boxed)

Skyrim PC - £28 (Boxed)

BioShock Infinite PC - £30 with free copy of XCOM and BioShock (Steam)

SimCity 2013 - £45 or £60 for 'deluxe' (Origin, around £40 boxed)

All prices I paid on release. Standard pricing for PC games except SimCity which was 50% more. (excluding Diablo III and StarCraft which were between £35-40)

EA also tried to get £45 for TOR I believe, then the £9 per month subscription or so on top. Could be wrong about that up front price.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

@starvinggamer said:
    @sooty said:

Skyrim PC - $59.99

UK:

Skyrim PC - £28 (Boxed)

All prices I paid on release. Standard pricing for PC games except SimCity which was 50% more. (excluding Diablo III and StarCraft which were between £35-40)

EA also tried to get £45 for TOR I believe, then the £9 per month subscription or so on top. Could be wrong about that up front price.

People still pay full price for PC games? Even wanting to play day 1 with some games I haven't payed full price for one game for a long fucking time and no, I don't have to go to shady Steam key sites to buy games for cheap.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

@starvinggamer said:
    @sooty said:

Skyrim PC - $59.99

UK:

Skyrim PC - £28 (Boxed)

People still pay full price for PC games? Even wanting to play day 1 with some games I haven't payed full price for one game for a long fucking time and no, I don't have to go to shady Steam key sites to buy games for cheap.

Not all the time, but some games are hard to find anymore than £2-3 cheaper than full price.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By OmegaPirate

Yeah!!! Fuck EA!! worst company of the year again! woo fuck them

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@extomar said:

Which gets back to the FB post: I would appreciate it if they wouldn't couch fixes like new feature/content updates. It is insulting to suggest I should be excited about something that should not have been a problem in the first place.

I think this is the big problem. They shouldn't boast about reimplementing a feature that they pulled out of the game to stop it from exploding. The right way to do this is to just tell us when it's back in the game and continue to apologize about pulling it in the first place.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By EXTomar

I'm all for Maxis announcing "The problems with Chetah Speed have been addressed, being tested, and are looking for players to test it". I'm not for "Who is excited to test Chetah Speed?" I am not a marketing expert but I would believe this is an idiotic question to ask a buyer who is not happy with the game nor is it a good thing to point out if you are less hostile and just want a better game or didn't even know.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I like SimCity, am I a bad person?

I haven't even touched my FREE Dead Space 3 yet either...

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rollingzeppelin

I'm glad that they're finally implementing a core feature of the game.

I'm very agitated that it took them a goddamn month to fix it to a feature complete, yet still buggy as hell state.

I hope the backlash sting them so bad that they never try to pull this bullshit again, you can't run a game company like this and we as customers should stand up against their crap.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dalai said:

I keep thinking we wouldn't have these problems if the game was delayed 3-6 months to work out the bugs. And larger cities.

I'm officially done with this game until they fix all the issues.

even if you gave them that time there would still be a horrible launch because one of the biggest issues were that they refuse to get the appropriate number of servers. That genius idea would still be applied.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That copy of Dead Space 3 and the countless hours I have already put into Sim City, I really don't feel ripped off at all.

I don't understand how people can hold up the free game they gave to everyone as a symbol that they righted the wrong. Is that how easily people can be bought nowadays? Can a company fuck over the consumer as much as they want as long as they give you a free game?

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bourbon_warrior said:

@chavtheworld said:

I don't understand how people can hold up the free game they gave to everyone as a symbol that they righted the wrong. Is that how easily people can be bought nowadays? Can a company fuck over the consumer as much as they want as long as they give you a free game?

I never actually have trouble apart from the first day launch on the Oceania server, I put like 20 hours into the game the 1st week, so them giving a game worth the same price as the game I brought was really unexpected and actually pretty cool. But I understand people in American and Europe went though worse server issues.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@bourbon_warrior said:

@chavtheworld said:

I wasn't... I was saying it's a nice bonus to go with a game I already like.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.