Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SimCity

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

The fifth major installment of the SimCity franchise is a new take on the old city simulation formula. It features asynchronous multiplayer as well as Maxis' new Glassbox engine, allowing for real time customization and upgrading of buildings.

How is it possible Polygon review vs. Ars Tech

• 58 results
    LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

"About that 9.5 we gave it pre-release that you may have relied on to purchase the game. Whoops. Turns out those problems everyone was predicting happened and that game is kinda fucked right now. So it's not as good as it used to be. Sorry about that. It might be good again later."

What a mess that you could see that coming from a mile away. If Polygon's new policy is to just go with best case scenario, give a game a great score, then drop it to cover their ass if it turns out the game is borked on release, don't see why I should trust them again.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

That's just weird. Also, it's a good thing for Maxis/EA that the review score won't be reflected on Metacritic.

I gotta say, I don't go to Polygon...ever, but I finally decided to read this review, and it feels like someone who entered a "Back of the Box" quote contest. I don't know the guy from Adam, but...wow. That site makes me appreciate this one even more.

If the 9.5 stays on Metacritic then it totally feels like they've kind of planned this out in a way they think they could please everyone. They might get away with it too.

Nicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Their whole "changing review scores over time" policy seems dumb to me. What do they do when the server stuff gets sorted out? Raise it back to a 9.5? I see how launch day problems could necessitate an appended caveat, but ultimately you either recommend the game or you don't.

I'm not trying to bash Polygon or the review, I just think that specifically the whole "updating scores" thing is being poorly implemented.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By weltal

Oh man, that's great. Some people can't actually play the game and that's worth a whole 1.5 points.

I can't fathom this weirdness. Is the forever? Does it go back up when the servers are fixed? What kind of use is a review score that fluctuates on a daily basis?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

@krakn3dfx: They have a review policy where the reviews change based on patches, expansions, server status etc. It's actually something that should be very useful and sorely lacking everywhere else. I just don't think it's implemented well in this case, where the review had to be changed a day after it was originally published.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

@krakn3dfx: They have a review policy where the reviews change based on patches, expansions, server status etc. It's actually something that should be very useful and sorely lacking everywhere else. I just don't think it's implemented well in this case, where the review had to be changed a day after it was originally published.

Yeah, it makes sense in a lot circumstances. If a buggy game is patched a month later and works perfectly, then bump up the score. Or if a bunch of content drops that increases the value. Or if they don't follow-up online support promises and the game languishes. Or if a game develops a huge following and fan support. WoW, LoL and others are completely different games than when they were first reviewed.

But here it makes no sense whatsoever. Coming out with a score just before a game releases in circumstances they knew weren't representative and hinted at problems, and then dropping it 24 hours later after the problems turned out to be widespread? I'd far rather they just say they weren't certain, post a preview, and wait for release to review, like others did. This just looks ridiculous.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Thank God for Quick Looks. I was semi-excited for this game until I saw it in action. Now I get to keep my money and my sanity. Win for me, loss for EA. I like it like that.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By subyman

Thank God for Quick Looks. I was semi-excited for this game until I saw it in action. Now I get to keep my money and my sanity. Win for me, loss for EA. I like it like that.

+1 I was definitely excited until I saw that quick look. Glad I sat in on that and didn't blow $60, the game looks pretty bad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.