Just realized I have to sign up for origin to play this.

#1 Posted by Forderz (246 posts) -

Fuck. My brother got BF3, and their servers kicked him off every interval of 5:23. Don't know why to this day, support tickets went unanswered.

I really want to play Sim CIty V.

#2 Posted by Funkydupe (3305 posts) -

Punkbuster kicked your brother. It is their preferred Anti-cheat client that comes with the game as it is installed. A lot of people had issues with it on release. It wasn't a problem with the Origin service.

#3 Posted by Venatio (4483 posts) -

Oh buhu get over it. Playing Mass Effect 3 on Origin and I don't see what the big deal is, it's fine

#4 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Oh hey, we're back at complaining about Origin.

#5 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2717 posts) -

Then sign up for Origin.

#6 Posted by Gonmog (580 posts) -

Yeah..sign up. You dont lose your soul or anything. And Steam will not beat down your door yelling at you about cheating.

#7 Posted by HellBound (1043 posts) -

Punkbuster is the worst. You probably have to update it. It is like a program from the early 90's the way it looks and installs. Terrible, but you have to live with it.

#8 Posted by kishinfoulux (2250 posts) -

@Venatio said:

Oh buhu get over it. Playing Mass Effect 3 on Origin and I don't see what the big deal is, it's fine

There is none. It's perfectly fine.

#9 Posted by isomeri (1216 posts) -

Origin is fine. It's just a bummer that we won't find this in a Steam sale.

#10 Posted by thefaulconer (65 posts) -

Hey don't worry brother/sister. I was pretty panicked myself back when I had to get it to install Mass Effect 3. Not because I'd heard Origin sucked or anything but mostly because I wasn't too fond of EA.

I'm still not, but their little program has come a ways from where it began and as a medium to engage in my ME3 multiplayer it's harmless.

Their shift/tab equivalent tells you the time now!

Amazing!

Don't sweat it.

#11 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Origin is percetly a-okay.

#12 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I've had no problem with Origin over past 6 months. Such a stupid excuse not to play a game.

#13 Posted by EquitasInvictus (1937 posts) -

Yeah I used to be reluctant about Origin around the time of BF3 but I ended up adjusting. It's only natural they'll force it for SimCity so I'm neither taken aback or disappointed.

#14 Posted by dungbootle (2454 posts) -

So are you just lazy or

#15 Posted by MikkaQ (10262 posts) -

Oh yeah I'd have to re-install that piece of junk. Maybe if BF3 didn't disappoint so much I wouldn't care, but having Origin just for Sim City is dumb. Oh well, there's always those shitty Cities XL games...

#16 Posted by mak_wikus (498 posts) -

God damn it!

Online
#17 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (724 posts) -

Origin is no worse than Steam.

#18 Posted by RenegadeDoppelganger (406 posts) -

I go where the games are.

Origin is really not that bad, in fact it's not "bad" at all. Nothing about the platform actively inhibits my ability or desire to buy and/or play games.

#19 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

you know you can ADD origin games to steam, right?

well I added DA2 at any rate

#20 Posted by AndrewB (7438 posts) -

You guys are being way too generous.

Origin sucks compared to Steam, but it's definitely not worth not playing a game over.

#21 Posted by flufflogic (289 posts) -

I have all the Dragon Age games installed on Origin, and I am yet to have my organs harvested. It's just a platform - a little clunky, yes, but not GFWL clunky. Just not Steam smooth yet.

#22 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -
#23 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

@Jams: the sims and simcity are different enough games that I hardly think it would matter.

#24 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Jams: the sims and simcity are different enough games that I hardly think it would matter.

Instead of managing a city, you're managing a person or family. I don't really see how it's any different.

#25 Posted by SeanFoster (854 posts) -

I'd prefer to have all my PC games under the Steam umbrella, but it's not a big deal that my Blizzard and EA games are in their own little ecosystem.

#26 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

@Jams said:

@Animasta said:

@Jams: the sims and simcity are different enough games that I hardly think it would matter.

Instead of managing a city, you're managing a person or family. I don't really see how it's any different.

different audiences though. Like, the people who play the sims are probably more concerned with what their sim looks like than the simcity person is concerned with what their city looks like (I don't mean layout and shit but merely the looks of the buildings)

#27 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Jams said:

@Animasta said:

@Jams: the sims and simcity are different enough games that I hardly think it would matter.

Instead of managing a city, you're managing a person or family. I don't really see how it's any different.

different audiences though. Like, the people who play the sims are probably more concerned with what their sim looks like than the simcity person is concerned with what their city looks like (I don't mean layout and shit but merely the looks of the buildings)

As a fan of both, that can be true for The Sims. People most certainly do it for what their sims look like. A ton of people do it for the house building part too. But as a fan of that game, it can get pretty challenging to manage a full family in that game. Especially if you give them difficult traits.

#28 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

@Jams said:

@Animasta said:

@Jams said:

@Animasta said:

@Jams: the sims and simcity are different enough games that I hardly think it would matter.

Instead of managing a city, you're managing a person or family. I don't really see how it's any different.

different audiences though. Like, the people who play the sims are probably more concerned with what their sim looks like than the simcity person is concerned with what their city looks like (I don't mean layout and shit but merely the looks of the buildings)

As a fan of both, that can be true for The Sims. People most certainly do it for what their sims look like. A ton of people do it for the house building part too. But as a fan of that game, it can get pretty challenging to manage a full family in that game. Especially if you give them difficult traits.

oh no I play the sims too. and honestly I don't feel like I'm missing ALL that much not having the expansions and shit. but you also have to figure that most of the people that play the sims aren't really heavy gamers, and so they are more easily price gouged since that's probably one of the only regular games they play (facebook/phone games aside).

I'm not saying it's not going to happen, but it will at least be better about it than sims 3 was.

#29 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Jams said:

@Animasta said:

@Jams said:

@Animasta said:

@Jams: the sims and simcity are different enough games that I hardly think it would matter.

Instead of managing a city, you're managing a person or family. I don't really see how it's any different.

different audiences though. Like, the people who play the sims are probably more concerned with what their sim looks like than the simcity person is concerned with what their city looks like (I don't mean layout and shit but merely the looks of the buildings)

As a fan of both, that can be true for The Sims. People most certainly do it for what their sims look like. A ton of people do it for the house building part too. But as a fan of that game, it can get pretty challenging to manage a full family in that game. Especially if you give them difficult traits.

oh no I play the sims too. and honestly I don't feel like I'm missing ALL that much not having the expansions and shit. but you also have to figure that most of the people that play the sims aren't really heavy gamers, and so they are more easily price gouged since that's probably one of the only regular games they play (facebook/phone games aside).

I'm not saying it's not going to happen, but it will at least be better about it than sims 3 was.

OH I get what you're trying to say now. You mean to say that they wouldn't make a cosmetic and sell it for $6 like they do in The Sims. I guess that makes sense, although I wouldn't put it past them to try and find a way to make it work like that.

#30 Posted by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -

Origin is worse than steam but is by no means bad, especially for simply playing a game. Sign up and don't worry about it

#31 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (724 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Jams said:

@Animasta said:

@Jams said:

@Animasta said:

@Jams: the sims and simcity are different enough games that I hardly think it would matter.

Instead of managing a city, you're managing a person or family. I don't really see how it's any different.

different audiences though. Like, the people who play the sims are probably more concerned with what their sim looks like than the simcity person is concerned with what their city looks like (I don't mean layout and shit but merely the looks of the buildings)

As a fan of both, that can be true for The Sims. People most certainly do it for what their sims look like. A ton of people do it for the house building part too. But as a fan of that game, it can get pretty challenging to manage a full family in that game. Especially if you give them difficult traits.

oh no I play the sims too. and honestly I don't feel like I'm missing ALL that much not having the expansions and shit. but you also have to figure that most of the people that play the sims aren't really heavy gamers, and so they are more easily price gouged since that's probably one of the only regular games they play (facebook/phone games aside).

I'm not saying it's not going to happen, but it will at least be better about it than sims 3 was.

The digital deluxe edition of SimCity comes with signature landmarks, associated city looks (French, British and German) to match those landmarks, and transport methods appropriate to those places.

If that's all they'll sell for DLC (or similar,) I think I'll be okay not buying it. I'm building my own city, not a crapped up hybrid of Britain and Germany.

#32 Posted by davo (141 posts) -

Even if SimCity does come to Steam, or some other service, it's pretty much assured that you'll still need to sign into the game service with an EA account, and that very same account will be used to sign into Origin. There's really no getting around the fact that you'll be signing up for an EA account. Not that I am promoting Origin or EA, for that matter. Personally, I don't feel like signing up for yet another service just for one game.

#33 Posted by Snail (8574 posts) -

@dekkadekkadekka said:

Origin is no worse than Steam.

Steam's sales are both better and more abundant.

Well I guess having two games on Origin makes having it installed in my computer feel less annoying than just having it for that one game. Not that big of a deal anyway.

#34 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

@davo said:

Even if SimCity does come to Steam, or some other service, it's pretty much assured that you'll still need to sign into the game service with an EA account, and that very same account will be used to sign into Origin. There's really no getting around the fact that you'll be signing up for an EA account. Not that I am promoting Origin or EA, for that matter. Personally, I don't feel like signing up for yet another service just for one game.

I've never had to launch origin to play one of the games I got from there

maybe it's different for stuff like BF3 and simcity but

#35 Posted by davo (141 posts) -

@Animasta

Okay, I stand corrected for the most part. My point remains for SimCity, though. There's no way the game won't have any social aspect to it.

#36 Posted by Anund (876 posts) -

I've been staying away from Origin as well. I have no interest in yet another place to buy digital games. This game may just sway me though.

#37 Posted by Blackmoore (254 posts) -

I think the issue with Origin is that all saves with Simcity will be cloud synced, and not stored locally which means that unless there's some good save management, you can't deliberately destroy your city for kicks, and then reload.

#38 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

You guys are being way too generous.

Origin sucks compared to Steam, but it's definitely not worth not playing a game over.

origin does all it has to do. why does it suck?

#39 Edited by Pr1mus (3775 posts) -

Origin as a store to buy games is terrible. Origin as a software to play games, while not fully featured like Steam, is as functional as Steam is.

I buy Origin games on GMG.

#40 Posted by fox01313 (5061 posts) -

While I have some hesitation of using Origin over Steam, I think that compared to what the OP saw with Battlefield3 that the online servers/game will be different for Sim City. Game looks great so I will get over using origin once I remember where I wrote the password for it (as I never use it).

#41 Posted by Dalai (6978 posts) -

Yeah I thought about this 3 months ago since I would prefer not to use Origin.

But I'm delaying the inevitable here. I'll buy it two weeks before release, Origin or not.

#42 Posted by Nictel (2364 posts) -

Origin is not Steam but I had no problems with it while playing Mass Effect 3 for 50+ hours.

#43 Edited by Vigorousjammer (2472 posts) -

Like AndrewB said, Origin isn't great, and could be a lot better. 
However, skipping on a game because of it? a bit ridiculous.

#44 Posted by granderojo (1778 posts) -

You can disable the origin overlay and run EA games through Steam to get the steam overlay. Works like a charm. It's almost as if Origin doesn't exist.

#45 Posted by alternate (2679 posts) -

Buy the game (stress this part) retail. Download the inevitable offline cracked exe. If you want multiplayer/leaderboard you are going to have to suck it up.

#46 Posted by squiDc00kiE (347 posts) -

I really wish it was on Steam too, if only so I can try and keep all my games in one place. But hey, that's PC gaming for ya.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.