Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SimCity

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

The fifth major installment of the SimCity franchise is a new take on the old city simulation formula. It features asynchronous multiplayer as well as Maxis' new Glassbox engine, allowing for real time customization and upgrading of buildings.

Just realized I have to sign up for origin to play this.

Forderz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Forderz

Fuck. My brother got BF3, and their servers kicked him off every interval of 5:23. Don't know why to this day, support tickets went unanswered.

I really want to play Sim CIty V.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Funkydupe

Punkbuster kicked your brother. It is their preferred Anti-cheat client that comes with the game as it is installed. A lot of people had issues with it on release. It wasn't a problem with the Origin service.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Venatio

Oh buhu get over it. Playing Mass Effect 3 on Origin and I don't see what the big deal is, it's fine

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60

Oh hey, we're back at complaining about Origin.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Then sign up for Origin.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Gonmog

Yeah..sign up. You dont lose your soul or anything. And Steam will not beat down your door yelling at you about cheating.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AthleticShark

Punkbuster is the worst. You probably have to update it. It is like a program from the early 90's the way it looks and installs. Terrible, but you have to live with it.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kishinfoulux

@Venatio said:

Oh buhu get over it. Playing Mass Effect 3 on Origin and I don't see what the big deal is, it's fine

There is none. It's perfectly fine.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#9  Edited By isomeri

Origin is fine. It's just a bummer that we won't find this in a Steam sale.

thefaulconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thefaulconer

Hey don't worry brother/sister. I was pretty panicked myself back when I had to get it to install Mass Effect 3. Not because I'd heard Origin sucked or anything but mostly because I wasn't too fond of EA.

I'm still not, but their little program has come a ways from where it began and as a medium to engage in my ME3 multiplayer it's harmless.

Their shift/tab equivalent tells you the time now!

Amazing!

Don't sweat it.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cloudenvy

Origin is percetly a-okay.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

I've had no problem with Origin over past 6 months. Such a stupid excuse not to play a game.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EquitasInvictus

Yeah I used to be reluctant about Origin around the time of BF3 but I ended up adjusting. It's only natural they'll force it for SimCity so I'm neither taken aback or disappointed.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dungbootle

So are you just lazy or

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By MikkaQ

Oh yeah I'd have to re-install that piece of junk. Maybe if BF3 didn't disappoint so much I wouldn't care, but having Origin just for Sim City is dumb. Oh well, there's always those shitty Cities XL games...

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mak_wikus

God damn it!

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

Origin is no worse than Steam.

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
    RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I go where the games are.

Origin is really not that bad, in fact it's not "bad" at all. Nothing about the platform actively inhibits my ability or desire to buy and/or play games.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Animasta

you know you can ADD origin games to steam, right?

well I added DA2 at any rate

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By AndrewB

You guys are being way too generous.

Origin sucks compared to Steam, but it's definitely not worth not playing a game over.

flufflogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By flufflogic

I have all the Dragon Age games installed on Origin, and I am yet to have my organs harvested. It's just a platform - a little clunky, yes, but not GFWL clunky. Just not Steam smooth yet.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jams
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Animasta

@Jams: the sims and simcity are different enough games that I hardly think it would matter.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jams

@Animasta said:

@Jams: the sims and simcity are different enough games that I hardly think it would matter.

Instead of managing a city, you're managing a person or family. I don't really see how it's any different.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SeanFoster

I'd prefer to have all my PC games under the Steam umbrella, but it's not a big deal that my Blizzard and EA games are in their own little ecosystem.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Animasta

@Jams said:

@Animasta said:

Instead of managing a city, you're managing a person or family. I don't really see how it's any different.

different audiences though. Like, the people who play the sims are probably more concerned with what their sim looks like than the simcity person is concerned with what their city looks like (I don't mean layout and shit but merely the looks of the buildings)

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jams

@Animasta said:

@Jams said:

@Animasta said:

different audiences though. Like, the people who play the sims are probably more concerned with what their sim looks like than the simcity person is concerned with what their city looks like (I don't mean layout and shit but merely the looks of the buildings)

As a fan of both, that can be true for The Sims. People most certainly do it for what their sims look like. A ton of people do it for the house building part too. But as a fan of that game, it can get pretty challenging to manage a full family in that game. Especially if you give them difficult traits.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Animasta

@Jams said:

@Animasta said:

@Jams said:

@Animasta said:

As a fan of both, that can be true for The Sims. People most certainly do it for what their sims look like. A ton of people do it for the house building part too. But as a fan of that game, it can get pretty challenging to manage a full family in that game. Especially if you give them difficult traits.

oh no I play the sims too. and honestly I don't feel like I'm missing ALL that much not having the expansions and shit. but you also have to figure that most of the people that play the sims aren't really heavy gamers, and so they are more easily price gouged since that's probably one of the only regular games they play (facebook/phone games aside).

I'm not saying it's not going to happen, but it will at least be better about it than sims 3 was.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jams

@Animasta said:

@Jams said:

@Animasta said:

@Jams said:

@Animasta said:

oh no I play the sims too. and honestly I don't feel like I'm missing ALL that much not having the expansions and shit. but you also have to figure that most of the people that play the sims aren't really heavy gamers, and so they are more easily price gouged since that's probably one of the only regular games they play (facebook/phone games aside).

I'm not saying it's not going to happen, but it will at least be better about it than sims 3 was.

OH I get what you're trying to say now. You mean to say that they wouldn't make a cosmetic and sell it for $6 like they do in The Sims. I guess that makes sense, although I wouldn't put it past them to try and find a way to make it work like that.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By Sackmanjones

Origin is worse than steam but is by no means bad, especially for simply playing a game. Sign up and don't worry about it

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

@Animasta said:

@Jams said:

@Animasta said:

@Jams said:

@Animasta said:

The digital deluxe edition of SimCity comes with signature landmarks, associated city looks (French, British and German) to match those landmarks, and transport methods appropriate to those places.

If that's all they'll sell for DLC (or similar,) I think I'll be okay not buying it. I'm building my own city, not a crapped up hybrid of Britain and Germany.

davo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By davo

Even if SimCity does come to Steam, or some other service, it's pretty much assured that you'll still need to sign into the game service with an EA account, and that very same account will be used to sign into Origin. There's really no getting around the fact that you'll be signing up for an EA account. Not that I am promoting Origin or EA, for that matter. Personally, I don't feel like signing up for yet another service just for one game.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By Snail

@dekkadekkadekka said:

Origin is no worse than Steam.

Steam's sales are both better and more abundant.

Well I guess having two games on Origin makes having it installed in my computer feel less annoying than just having it for that one game. Not that big of a deal anyway.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Animasta

@davo said:

Even if SimCity does come to Steam, or some other service, it's pretty much assured that you'll still need to sign into the game service with an EA account, and that very same account will be used to sign into Origin. There's really no getting around the fact that you'll be signing up for an EA account. Not that I am promoting Origin or EA, for that matter. Personally, I don't feel like signing up for yet another service just for one game.

I've never had to launch origin to play one of the games I got from there

maybe it's different for stuff like BF3 and simcity but

davo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By davo

@Animasta

Okay, I stand corrected for the most part. My point remains for SimCity, though. There's no way the game won't have any social aspect to it.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Anund

I've been staying away from Origin as well. I have no interest in yet another place to buy digital games. This game may just sway me though.

Blackmoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Blackmoore

I think the issue with Origin is that all saves with Simcity will be cloud synced, and not stored locally which means that unless there's some good save management, you can't deliberately destroy your city for kicks, and then reload.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By doobie

@AndrewB said:

You guys are being way too generous.

Origin sucks compared to Steam, but it's definitely not worth not playing a game over.

origin does all it has to do. why does it suck?

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By pr1mus

Origin as a store to buy games is terrible. Origin as a software to play games, while not fully featured like Steam, is as functional as Steam is.

I buy Origin games on GMG.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#40  Edited By fox01313

While I have some hesitation of using Origin over Steam, I think that compared to what the OP saw with Battlefield3 that the online servers/game will be different for Sim City. Game looks great so I will get over using origin once I remember where I wrote the password for it (as I never use it).

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By Dalai

Yeah I thought about this 3 months ago since I would prefer not to use Origin.

But I'm delaying the inevitable here. I'll buy it two weeks before release, Origin or not.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By Nictel

Origin is not Steam but I had no problems with it while playing Mass Effect 3 for 50+ hours.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#43  Edited By vigorousjammer

Like AndrewB said, Origin isn't great, and could be a lot better. 
    However, skipping on a game because of it? a bit ridiculous.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#44  Edited By granderojo

You can disable the origin overlay and run EA games through Steam to get the steam overlay. Works like a charm. It's almost as if Origin doesn't exist.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By alternate

Buy the game (stress this part) retail. Download the inevitable offline cracked exe. If you want multiplayer/leaderboard you are going to have to suck it up.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wish it was on Steam too, if only so I can try and keep all my games in one place. But hey, that's PC gaming for ya.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.