Possible performances on low end PCs?

#1 Posted by Porkellain (253 posts) -

Sup duders.

I'm pretty hyped about this new SimCity coming out, always been a fan and when I got to see one of the first trailers I said "Man, I gotta have this!", even if it will mean signing up to Origin, which I'm not really happy about, but whatever.

The only real problem for me is that my laptop is quite old, hitting the 4 years mark in March. It was pretty powerful back in the day but now I'm afraid that the game might be a little clunky. Base specifics are Inter Core i5 M430(@2.27 GHz), 4GB RAM and nVidia M330 with 1GB RAM.

Do you think I'll be able to enjoy the game without giving up too much in terms of graphic quality and such?

#2 Posted by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

I played it on my laptop (Lenovo z7575) and it ran fine. As soon as I turned on all the cool settings it still ran fine.

#3 Posted by Porkellain (253 posts) -

You got the beta? Anyway thanks for the info, now I'm just sitting here deciding if it's the case to get hooked by the Limited Edition stuff.

#4 Posted by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -

@porkellain: There's a new beta weekend opening up

Saturday February 16 6AM PST (1300GMT / 1400CET / 2200EAT)to Sunday February 17 6AM PST (1300GMT / 1400CET / 2200EAT).

http://www.simcity.com/en_US/faq

Sounds like a good opportunity to test what your hardware can do with the game. If you aren't selected I think they're going to give away some keys on twitter/facebook, at least they did that last time around. Only notable changes are that they've fixed some stuff based on feedback. The 1 hour limit per session is probably in place and there will be a limited selection of buildings too.

#5 Edited by granderojo (1778 posts) -

I'm almost more than certain that your PC will be able to run it. The only thing that you're bumping against the minimum specs with is your CPU but the rest are well above the minimum specs. Barring some unforeseen compatibility issue you should be able to run it.

#6 Posted by zFUBARz (624 posts) -

Ran just fine on my laptop, the auto detect stuff set everything to low, but I bumped everything to medium and then to high and it still ran smooth as butter, I'm on an I5 as well

#7 Edited by JazzyJeff (399 posts) -

My specs are:

CPU: E8400

GPU: GTS 250 (512GB)

RAM: 8GB

And it ran well on this machine. I never got a huge city going, though, so performance may drop when things get crazy. Either way, my guess is you'd be fine.

#8 Posted by damnboyadvance (4059 posts) -

My specs are:

And it ran well on this machine. I never got a huge city going, though, so performance may drop when things get crazy. Either way, my guess is you'd be fine.

A 512GB GPU? No wonder it ran well on your computer.

#9 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

@jazzyjeff said:

My specs are:

A 512GB GPU? No wonder it ran well on your computer.

When they say technology grows on an exponential curve they really mean it.

#10 Edited by daedelus (91 posts) -

Your computer exceedes their stated minimum requirements so it should run. Because of your somewhat older integrated video, you will probably have to set all graphics to low.

#11 Posted by EVO (3870 posts) -

What about a late 2011 MacBook Pro?

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.