Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SimCity

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

The fifth major installment of the SimCity franchise is a new take on the old city simulation formula. It features asynchronous multiplayer as well as Maxis' new Glassbox engine, allowing for real time customization and upgrading of buildings.

Sewage Management?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I recently broke 50k population, and all of a sudden my sewage problems have gone buck wild. I have the Sewage Treatment Plant and it has been processing way more sewage than I needed for ages, and suddenly I needed an extra tank. So I plop one and carry on. 5 minutes later I need another tank. 5 minutes after that I need a 3rd tank, and now I do not have anywhere near the money to keep up with this rate (only have income of <5k an hour). My population has only risen to 67k, so why has the sewage trebeled? At 40k a pop these things aren't cheap, and I'm running out of money. I literally can't build anything else.

Why do I keep needing more sewage treatment?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Shit happens?

newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I'd say wait a bit longer and see if your treatment plant keeps overflowing. I had that problem once and it seemed like it had to handle all the built up sewage before the flow returns to normal (this is a complete guess, with the simulation being a bit wonky I can't say for sure that's what actually happened).

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Mexican food festival?

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gruebacca

Exactly what newhaap said. You must deal with the junk that has been sitting in there uncollected as well as the normal rate of sewage that collects. If it's taken you a while to deal with sewage, it will take several plants. Remember, it's not like the old SimCity games where you plop another incinerator and all your problems are then instantly solved.

It's a good idea to plop those down when necessary, however. You do NOT want to fuck around with sewage or garbage, as it takes forever for them to clean your city up. Bad sewage and garbage means expensive hospital funding, dying sims, a sharp drop in commercial activity, etc. Everything's interconnected, and it takes a lot of paying attention to make sure your city is not headed towards hell.

Hopefully, you are able to build a sizable economy by the time you plop expensive buildings like that down. By the end of my city's first year, I was making about $700,000 a month, and 40K became no big deal.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Bollard

Shit happens?

Tempted to flag that as best answer.

Exactly what newhaap said. You must deal with the junk that has been sitting in there uncollected as well as the normal rate of sewage that collects. If it's taken you a while to deal with sewage, it will take several plants. Remember, it's not like the old SimCity games where you plop another incinerator and all your problems are then instantly solved.

It's a good idea to plop those down when necessary, however. You do NOT want to fuck around with sewage or garbage, as it takes forever for them to clean your city up. Bad sewage and garbage means expensive hospital funding, dying sims, a sharp drop in commercial activity, etc. Everything's interconnected, and it takes a lot of paying attention to make sure your city is not headed towards hell.

Hopefully, you are able to build a sizable economy by the time you plop expensive buildings like that down. By the end of my city's first year, I was making about $700,000 a month, and 40K became no big deal.

Ah okay, I see. Hopefully then the problem will clear up, but I did play for a good half an hour or more without it going away. I really wish the icons would go yellow BEFORE there is a problem, rather than as it is happening, because that's what screwed me over here. I had to then wait to have the money before I could act.

Also 700k a month? Jeez. I haven't ever got anywhere near that. How on earth do I assure an economy like that? If it involves building boring ass grid shaped cities, I'm out. I am playing solo too by the way, so that might be a factor.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@the_laughing_man said:

Shit happens?

Tempted to flag that as best answer.

@gruebacca said:

Ah okay, I see. Hopefully then the problem will clear up, but I did play for a good half an hour or more without it going away. I really wish the icons would go yellow BEFORE there is a problem, rather than as it is happening, because that's what screwed me over here. I had to then wait to have the money before I could act.

Also 700k a month? Jeez. I haven't ever got anywhere near that. How on earth do I assure an economy like that? If it involves building boring ass grid shaped cities, I'm out. I am playing solo too by the way, so that might be a factor.

Ok now for a real answer. Take into account it also might just be a bug. I would not be surprised because of all the recent stuff that has happened. If I recall right I saw gameplay and there was a mention of another city offering to take a players" trash" So that might be a factor.

paulwade1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By paulwade1984

Sounds like a bug. The game is fucked. That bug might be about to fuck your entire city and everything you've spent the last few hours doing. As a last resort effort if its still happening. Bulldoze all sewage plants and leave your game. Then come back and build a new one.

If your city is still fucked then build a new city in a new region and build a sewage plant then sell your sewage to that city. If that still doesn't work cos the interconnected region stuff is bugged and fucked as well.

Well then I guess you just gotta start again.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gruebacca

@chavtheworld: Oil, baby!

@the_laughing_man: Other than questioning your response to my comment as "not real", I will say that after experimenting with the game for about 20 hours this is what I have noticed about pretty much any service in the game. It takes a long time for problems to resolve after you add more buildings to your services. There is no instant cure button like in previous SimCity games. I had a sewage plant with the maximum number of treatment plants, and it went over the limit, but then after a while the sewage rate cut down by a third after it had gotten rid of excess waste.

There is a bug involving how the game calculates how much sewage each treatment plant gets, however, when you have multiple plants. One plant may be overflowing while another may be barely getting any sewage. There are a lot of bugs in general in how the game handles problems as they are occurring, such as with garbage trucks looping and with fire trucks only going after one house at a time no matter how many fires there are.

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

did you build any other cities in your region yet? it may just be at constant yellow because it's absorbing excess from them. ignore this if you've only got the one though.

insaniacgrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What can you dso when all 7 treatment plant are plop and still you need more. Do i need to plop another sewage plant?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.