SimCity's Offline Mode Launches Today

• 78 results
#51 Posted by spraynardtatum (2944 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

I really want to play a SimCity at the moment but i don't want to play this one but i don't want to play SimCity 4 either so i guess i want to try this one then but then it's 40$ or 60$ with the expansion and the expansion looks really cool but fuck 60$ or even 30$ on sale for that matter...

So i guess i can plug back by snes and play the original.

You made the right decision.

#52 Posted by crithon (3195 posts) -

this is silly.

#53 Posted by Evelgest (122 posts) -

"We'll do the impossible and create offline mode! They'll be so touched that they can't be mad about small cities anymore, right?"

#54 Posted by Korolev (1706 posts) -

I've said it before, you've said it before, thousands have said it before - CITY SIZE. I couldn't be arsed about online or offline, frankly, but I'm not playing SimCity until they allow me to build an actual CITY - not a city-like town with sharply demarcated borders.

#56 Posted by iragequit (334 posts) -

Diablo 3s auction house also closed today. Funny timing.

#57 Edited by Tomzombie (397 posts) -

i may want to play it for once.

#58 Posted by Bunny_Fire (302 posts) -

you know kind of to late was planning on getting it for my mum and me when offline mode came out but alas Banished came out and that is pretty much all we need it has all the elements in a game like that that we both need and its just spot on with everything.

So GG maxis GG

#59 Edited by Dalai (7028 posts) -

Kudos to Maxis for finally letting me play this mediocre game offline.

Now do the impossible and make the cities bigger.

#60 Posted by fisk0 (4104 posts) -

Chemtrails!

#61 Posted by ghostyTrickster (310 posts) -

Update it to get rid of the whole neighboring city thing and let me have one giant utopian metropolis and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

#62 Edited by MichiganJack (113 posts) -

SimCity was definitely my biggest disappointment in gaming of 2013. Had this game released as a standard SimCity but with those incredible graphics EA would have had a perennial hit on their hands. I'm very curious to see the sale numbers of SimCity from launch to now, and the number of people who actually bought the expansion(s).

One thing SimCity (2013) did do is up the sales of older SimCity games.

#63 Posted by FastRedPonyCar (33 posts) -

Always online was not really a problem after the first week. The horrendously small city size though... that's another matter and the primary reason why I have not played more than a few hours of this game...which I regretfully preordered :/

Meh, at least I got BF3 premium edition for $25 bucks shortly thereafter so I don't feel AS bad but I'm no longer pre-ordering games from EA.

#64 Posted by Cowman (669 posts) -

@fisk0 said:

@iragequit said:

Chemtrails!

Follow the money.

#65 Posted by selbie (1903 posts) -

No big cities, no download.

EA, your broke ass game is not worth the necro.

#66 Posted by GagnarTheUnruly (57 posts) -

Pro tip: next time don't bake online only so thoroughly into the software that it takes a year to make an impossible fix. Consumer's DO NOT WANT forced online.

#67 Edited by EXTomar (4724 posts) -

Online isn't automatically a bad feature. Being able to connect to co-operative partners in a region seamlessly is a pretty cool feature. The problem was the rest of the design was sacrificed to achieve that goal which was entirely a bad move.

As I wrote in very old threads a year ago, people play SimCity to see if they can handle building New York or Paris or Mexico City or Hong Kong. They aren't so excited about building Fresno which is what SimCity 2013 can support.

#68 Edited by Yesiamaduck (1069 posts) -

I played it solidly for 6 hours last night, populated my region and got bored and uninstalled it again. I will give it THIS much though... it's a good game to play whilst listening to podcasts + the ambiance and atmosphere is still super strong + charming but maaaan the game loses at least 5 points for being so fucking restrictive.

#69 Posted by NoodleUnit (93 posts) -

Oh boy, SimCity is finally out today!

#70 Posted by Nightriff (5079 posts) -

Is the game worth it for like a $15 purchase? I'm still (mildly) interested in the game despite all its problems. I love creating large cities but I don't think I would mind micromanaging several small cities as well

#71 Edited by Arrested_Developer (718 posts) -

Is the game worth it for like a $15 purchase? I'm still (mildly) interested in the game despite all its problems. I love creating large cities but I don't think I would mind micromanaging several small cities as well

For that price I'd go for it. That said, I kinda did lose interest after building out 1 city.

#72 Posted by Nightriff (5079 posts) -

@nightriff said:

For that price I'd go for it. That said, I kinda did lose interest after building out 1 city.

Yup that's what I'm afraid of, but who knows, maybe I'll end up enjoying it for what it is.

#73 Posted by brehonia (51 posts) -

Don't buy SimCity.

#76 Edited by Yesiamaduck (1069 posts) -

It's worth $15 for sure.

#77 Posted by Vuud (1991 posts) -

More like SimSHITTY hahaaaaaa, right?

#78 Posted by golddeathmonkey (40 posts) -

@yesiamaduck: only if you like building REALLY REALLY long roads, otherwise it's one to miss. Sims need to have houses to go back to to make it actually simish

#79 Posted by ThePantheon (727 posts) -

Too bad they didn't fix the SIZE OF THE FUCKING CITY.

IT'S SIM CITY. NOT SIM NEIGHBOURHOODS. JESUS MAXIS

#80 Posted by AndrewB (7613 posts) -

I think most people here would agree that they would rather have seen any effort in doing so put into developing a new game rather than bandaging the exiting one that was designed around a concept people didn't take kindly to - myself included.

Still good news if you already bought the game and your biggest problem was the reliance on online interaction.

#81 Posted by nickdanger04 (7 posts) -

...Let me know when they make bigger city sizes. Having dense city squares surrounded by a sprawling empty region is just silly.

#82 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Good stuff, EA. Classic. Smooth.

#83 Posted by BMF808 (3 posts) -

That's a negative Ghostrider.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.