Water Problems

#1 Posted by juice8367 (443 posts) -

So I got a pretty big city going and now I'm starting into major problems number 1 being now enough power. So I converted from a coal power plant (low coal in region) to a oil power plant (low oil in region) to a nuclear power plant and now I ran into the same problem that Jeff did. I'm low on water in the region....

So my questions are....

Does the water table not replenish? Can I pump ocean water?

This sucks if I keep having to import my water. Hope Maxis fixes this.

#2 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1956 posts) -

I seemed to have gotten around the issue by placing my pumping station near my water treatment plant. I think the water treatment plant deposits quite a lot of clean water in a wide area around it. Theoretically, as long as the treatment plant is pumping sewage, there should be enough clean water for my pumps. I haven't had the opportunity to spend a huge amount of time with this setup but I think it has been that way for about 2 hours (real time) of cheetah speed (this was before they gimped it, I haven't been able to get into a game for more than 20 mins for the past 2 days).

#3 Edited by Subjugation (4719 posts) -

@juice8367: I asked the same question yesterday and you can find the discussion here. The short version is to do just what @rollingzeppelin said and place a water pumping station right next to a sewage treatment plant as the plant seems to give off a lot of water. Add a filtration pump (an add-on for the pumping station) if you need it for water pollution.

The water table is theoretically supposed to refresh over time when it rains in game, but I've played quite a bit and only seen it rain rarely. Even when it rains the replenishment seems minimal at best. To be completely honest, I didn't actually notice it replenish at all.

Now, if you figure out how to get the mass transit working reliably, let me know. I still can't figure out the logic behind when a bus/streetcar decides to turn around. Sometimes they do it when they fill, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they go into the far reaches of the city, sometimes they don't. This game (unintentionally or not) provides far too little information to explain its systems.

#4 Posted by BisonHero (6407 posts) -

@subjugation: I feel like when you get to the point of being able to add mass transit to a game and that game models individual buses/streetcars, they need to either A) have automatically optimized predefined routes/circuits that they complete, even when full, or B) let you set those predefined routes yourself. Instead, SimCity lets you see individual buses/streetcars, and their behaviour often seems completely absurd and nonsensical if you actually look at any one of them individually (which I suppose is true for many of the things in the game).

I don't own the game, but from what I've seen from Giant Bomb and a couple Let's Plays on YouTube, it seems like buses will just pull some insane u-turns when they feel like it, and like you said, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to when they go deep into your city, and when they don't.

#5 Edited by juice8367 (443 posts) -

@rollingzeppelin: @subjugation: Thanks for the help guys. I decided to start up a new city once I can log into the servers and try it out. Hopefully the second time through I'll be able to plan better

#6 Edited by RollingZeppelin (1956 posts) -

@juice8367: Yeah, I pretty much screwed up my first city too. I tried starting up a new city the 2nd last time I played, but the last time I played the new city was perpetually "rolling back" to a previously stable version. The game's really messed up right now even if you do get on.

@bisonhero: I've found that pretty much all the transportation is bugged in this game. I was trying to cut my losses in my city so I deleted my bus depots, when the city was finally able to support the buses again, when I plopped my depot down no buses came out no matter how many garages I placed. Oh yeah, the main reason I destroyed the bus depot other then the fact that it was eating up all my income was that the buses would leave my city and travel all around the reagion even though there were no other cities out there.

I followed a high wealth worker on his way to work and all that he would do was circle around and around in the same loop, never actually getting to the workplace.

One of my fire trucks kept doing U-turns on a small strip of road directly in front of a burning building until it burnt to the ground.

My garbage trucks line up behind each other about 8 in a row essentially all doing the work of one truck as they wait for the one in front to pick up the trash then all travel behind the front runner to the next house, horribly inefficient!

Seeing as most of the economy in this game is based around having a good transportation system these traffic bugs are quite crippling. Who knows how long or even if they'll fix these issues seeing how they can't even have basic functions (cheetah speed) of the game running without breaking it! It's quite frustrating to say the least.

#7 Posted by Subjugation (4719 posts) -

@juice8367: Yeah, I pretty much screwed up my first city too. I tried starting up a new city the 2nd last time I played, but the last time I played the new city was perpetually "rolling back" to a previously stable version. The game's really messed up right now even if you do get on.

@bisonhero: I've found that pretty much all the transportation is bugged in this game. I was trying to cut my losses in my city so I deleted my bus depots, when the city was finally able to support the buses again, when I plopped my depot down no buses came out no matter how many garages I placed. Oh yeah, the main reason I destroyed the bus depot other then the fact that it was eating up all my income was that the buses would leave my city and travel all around the reagion even though there were no other cities out there.

I followed a high wealth worker on his way to work and all that he would do was circle around and around in the same loop, never actually getting to the workplace.

One of my fire trucks kept doing U-turns on a small strip of road directly in front of a burning building until it burnt to the ground.

My garbage trucks line up behind each other about 8 in a row essentially all doing the work of one truck as they wait for the one in front to pick up the trash then all travel behind the front runner to the next house, horribly inefficient!

Seeing as most of the economy in this game is based around having a good transportation system these traffic bugs are quite crippling. Who knows how long or even if they'll fix these issues seeing how they can't even have basic functions (cheetah speed) of the game running without breaking it! It's quite frustrating to say the least.

I've had just about all of those same problems, except instead of the bus depot acting like that it was my streetcar depots. It really is an uphill battle trying to do well in this game with the current state of the transportation AI.

#9 Edited by Bollard (5401 posts) -

These bots are so weird!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.