Well what is this? SimCity 5? It's unofficially a thing.

• 77 results
#1 Posted by Dalai (6996 posts) -

Rumors of SimCity 5 have been making the rounds on the internet for the past few weeks, but EA wants to keep things hush-hush and make the big announcement themselves. Well... I think the cat is out of the bag

Maxis developer Lucy Bradshaw confirmed SimCity 5 to a German gaming mag and it's expected to come out in 2013. And that's not all! New engine, non-linear roads, multiplayer. Multiplayer! This is the game SimCity fans have been waiting nearly 10 years for. Now I must change my pants.

I may be in love.
#2 Posted by believer258 (11633 posts) -

4 still doesn't look too bad as far as I'm concerned. Oh, yeah, and I can run 4. I won't be able to run 5. That might have something to do with that.

Anyway, what will the multiplayer be like? Co-op murdering of the entire town?

Here's another random thought: It would be awesome if you could become a character in whatever world you created and go Saints Row 3 nuts on everything. It would be even better if it used the Frostbite engine and everything was destructible, meaning you could make a skyscraper, turn into your character, place C4 charges along the whole thing, fill it full of people, and then blow it to hell just because you feel like being a dick that day.

#3 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

I haven't play a SimCity since the second game.

#4 Edited by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -

I hope they go all procedural with the roads and building placement this time. Grids made sense back in the 90's, but real cities aren't perfectly aligned like that all over.

#5 Edited by Dalai (6996 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:

I hope they go all procedural with the roads and building placement this time. Grids made sense back in the 90's. But real cities aren't all perfectly aligned like that.

Looking at the pictures, the grid is still there, but the road placement can go off-grid.
Did I mention that I may be in love?
#6 Edited by Mikemcn (6955 posts) -

I want the whole region from Sim city 4, but the ability to zoom in and out without loading screens. The Sims 3 did it, Sim City 5 should do it too.

Also, non linear roads sounds like they're not going to let us place roads, i don't like that, i like building avenues and transportation networks.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36000 posts) -

@Dalai said:

Rumors of SimCity 5 have been making the rounds on the internet for the past few weeks, but EA wants to keep things hush-hush and make the big announcement themselves. Well... I think the cat is out of the bag.

Maxis developer Lucy Bradshaw confirmed SimCity 5 to a German gaming mag and it's expected to come out in 2013. And that's not all! New engine, non-linear roads, multiplayer. Multiplayer! This is the game SimCity fans have been waiting nearly 10 years for. Now I must change my pants.

How the fuck would that work? Aren't roads lines?

#8 Edited by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -
@Dalai: I dunno. Looking at the un-gridded road on the right, the buildings seem to be aligning themselves to it. I'm sure the option to make straight blocks spaced perfectly apart is still there, but it doesn't look like it's forced upon us this time around.

edit: The yellowish building with the grey roof right beside the raised highway looks like it doesn't have a regular road touching it. So the "bug" of having a barricaded highway working as an access road looks like it still exists.
#9 Posted by Dalai (6996 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

@Dalai said:

Rumors of SimCity 5 have been making the rounds on the internet for the past few weeks, but EA wants to keep things hush-hush and make the big announcement themselves. Well... I think the cat is out of the bag.

Gamespot used that word, I'm just the messenger.
#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36000 posts) -

@Dalai said:

Gamespot used that word, I'm just the messenger.

I do not regret leaving that site, especially under these circumstances.

#11 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

So, what are my disaster options in this game?

#12 Posted by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -
@MikeGosot said:
Oh man I wonder if Nintendo owns the green haired cartoon Will Wright from SimCity SNES. I want to have him trample through my city like a gigantic monster.
#13 Posted by GreggD (4477 posts) -

Dude. DUDE. DUDE! Amazing. SIMCITY 5 2013 GET HYPE!

#14 Posted by Matthew (1911 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

This. This is the most important question yearning to be answered.

Lets hope they have a real instance of Y2K. That would be hilarious.

#15 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
@MikeGosot said:
Oh man I wonder if Nintendo owns the green haired cartoon Will Wright from SimCity SNES. I want to have him trample through my city like a gigantic monster.
Man, i hated that guy. He always interrupted me when i was filling my city with tornados and shit.
#16 Posted by Dalai (6996 posts) -
@Matthew said:

@MikeGosot said:

Did some searching... avalanches, explosions, and volcanic eruptions are confirmed.
#17 Posted by ZombiePie (5583 posts) -

The moment I realized that this might turn out to be something amazing is when I noticed water pollution in your first image.

#18 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Dalai said:
@Matthew said:

@MikeGosot said:

Did some searching... avalanches, explosions, and volcanic eruptions are confirmed.
What!? Like... Nukes? OH MAN, I'M GONNA KILL SO MANY PEOPLE IN THIS GAME! And build a city too. Maybe i'll do that.
#19 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

It's been about time, I though sim city 5 was all but dead or at least lying incredibly dormant. Still, HYPE!!!!!!!!

#20 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

@believer258 said:

4 still doesn't look too bad as far as I'm concerned. Oh, yeah, and I can run 4. I won't be able to run 5. That might have something to do with that.

Anyway, what will the multiplayer be like? Co-op murdering of the entire town?

Here's another random thought: It would be awesome if you could become a character in whatever world you created and go Saints Row 3 nuts on everything. It would be even better if it used the Frostbite engine and everything was destructible, meaning you could make a skyscraper, turn into your character, place C4 charges along the whole thing, fill it full of people, and then blow it to hell just because you feel like being a dick that day.

that sounds a lot like what Sim City 2000 had where you could use your Sim City 2000 levels in SimCopter to fly around and stuff or you could cause major havoc in them using Streets of Sim City.

oh man. i hope i still have my SimCopter disc around here.

#21 Posted by Chaoskiller2000 (306 posts) -

That looks great! Its nice to see something coming out that is different and old school! I HOPE this is real!

#22 Posted by Chemin (632 posts) -

Damn! This has got me stoked. It's high time for a new SimCity game, for sure, and this could be fuckin' rad.

#23 Posted by KosmoK (63 posts) -

These news make me want to boot up SimCity 4 again. It's actually quite sad that SimCity is more or less the only contender in that genre. But man, that game sucked sooo many hours out of my life. That said, can't wait for it. A 2012 release would be preferable though...

Oh, and yes, there are other, similar games around, but none of them can compete with it. SimCIty will always be the big daddy.

#25 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (529 posts) -

Oh man. This totally made my day. I never played SimCity 4, but I may have to pick it up before this is released.

I have no idea how many hours of my life are sitting in SimCity 2000 save files on long gone hard drives.

#26 Posted by Ben_H (3310 posts) -

Day one purchase. No question. I love me some SimCity.

#27 Posted by Grilledcheez (3943 posts) -

Awesome, JUST AWESOME

#28 Edited by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

GREAT! I have been itching to play a new SimCity game for a couple years so if this is true I'm super excited.

ALSO, THOSE SCREEN SHOTS LOOK AMAZING!

#29 Posted by KosmoK (63 posts) -

@zombiepenguin9 said:

Oh man. This totally made my day. I never played SimCity 4, but I may have to pick it up before this is released.

I have no idea how many hours of my life are sitting in SimCity 2000 save files on long gone hard drives.

Be careful! SC4 is great, but you loose time like nowhere else. It's one of those games where you sit down and think to yourself "Hey, I'll boot it up for an hour or so..." and suddenly you're feeling hungry, realizing it's been four hours or more. At least that's what happened to me. On more than one occasion...

Other than that it's great and I can't wait for SC5 to ruin my life all over again. Addicted to WoW? Then you haven't played SimCity!

#30 Posted by chrissedoff (2075 posts) -

cool beans

#31 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -
@Mikemcn

I want the whole region from Sim city 4, but the ability to zoom in and out without loading screens. The Sims 3 did it, Sim City 5 should do it too.

Also, non linear roads sounds like they're not going to let us place roads, i don't like that, i like building avenues and transportation networks.

@Video_Game_King

@Dalai said:

Not sure if serious x2.

Of course you'll build the roads. He means non-linear roads as in bendy roads.
#32 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

Oh man, can I send my city's waste to another city? Will Wright already suckered me into buying Spore after watching that presentation, assuming it had real multiplayer. Also I hope this game isn't hardcapped at 30 FPS like Spore.

#33 Posted by Masha2932 (1241 posts) -
#34 Posted by Red12b (9075 posts) -

oooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

#35 Posted by DeeGee (2113 posts) -

2013?

Goddamn, people need to stop announcing this stuff so far in advance. It's only March.

#36 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I didn't realize how many people were into SimCity.

I mean, it's basically just Dwarf Fortress, right? :trollface:

#37 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

I want a co-op mode in this game.

#38 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -
@Funkydupe said:

I want a co-op mode in this game.

""Co-op"" on the same city would be hilarious.
#39 Posted by JohnLocke (255 posts) -

@ZombiePie said:

The moment I realized that this might turn out to be something amazing is when I noticed water pollution in your first image.

This is the moment I realized you are right. Dude, Sim City 5!

Totally will play this if it turns out to be real and also includes multiplayer. Now for Transport Tycoon.....

#40 Edited by Kyle (2323 posts) -

FINALLY! Jeez...

@Video_Game_King said:

@Dalai said:

I'm sure they just mean curving roads.

#41 Posted by Blackmoore (254 posts) -

Next thing you know they'll have non-Cartesian roads (or whatever the trend was at PAX of last). Imaginary roads. Two imaginary roads creates a tunnel.

Anyhow, I am stoked. This looks good, however it better be on the complexity of Simcity4 at least, and not a Simcity Societies 2.

#42 Posted by ShaggE (6331 posts) -

Haven't played since 2000, but I'm about ready to SimCity again. (yeah, I declare "SimCity" to be a verb now)

#43 Posted by BoG (5181 posts) -

Oh, gosh. This looks absolutely amazing. The best part about a new Sim City game? I won't need to buy anything else in 2013.

#44 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

It better have a good original soundtrack.

#45 Posted by OverlordOutpost (5 posts) -

I have never been more hype for a game then I am for Sim City 5, I've been playing this series since I was a kid.

#46 Posted by Progman9000 (258 posts) -

@FrankCanada97 said:

Just quoting you to re-emphasize this. SimCity 3000 had some FANTASTIC music.

#47 Posted by ProfessorEss (7280 posts) -

I'd be curious to know if they're working on an iPad version.

I'm not all that into iPad gaming but games like SimCity (semi-pointless, meandering, endless affairs) are a perfect fit for me and the device.

#48 Posted by Godzilla_Sushi (1084 posts) -

I actually play Sim City 4 weekly. I build cities, and wipe my region clean to start over monthly. I couldn't be happier to hear this news! Sim City 4 is one of my favorite games of all time.

#49 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2089 posts) -

@DeeGee said:

2013?

Goddamn, people need to stop announcing this stuff so far in advance. It's only March.

You think that's bad, look at Square Enix. They announce a new game, pander around for two months then begin to make the game, after making 12 trailers for it. This is efficient compared to that.

#50 Posted by Dalai (6996 posts) -
@mjwyoshi64 said:

@FrankCanada97 said:

Just quoting you to re-emphasize this. SimCity 3000 had some FANTASTIC music.

Needs more re-emphasis. And you know what else had fantastic music? SimCity 4.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.