Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sin & Punishment: Star Successor

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 29, 2009

Grab a gunsword and charge your way through hundreds of on-screen enemies to escape persecution for something your father did in this sequel to Treasure's N64 cult classic shooter.

I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 may have murdered this game.........

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Willy105
    Remember all the fanboy tears when this game was revealed?
    Remember all the fanboy tears when this game was revealed?
    Nintendo's big sci-fi offering for the hardcore this summer. Drowned by Super Mario Galaxy 2.  With all the commotion of the first Mario sequel in 15 years, I think this game is going to get completely lost and may not become very popular. 

Granted, it's a shooting game, with a very complex story, with a name that refers to religion, but it's main reason for existing was because Nintendo saw that the hardcore gamers wanted an old property brought back to life, and the perfect one to do it was Sin and Punishment, who the first one was never release outside Japan, and began the whole importing craze. 

And people wanted Star Fox, and this is Star Fox but without the animal characters. Oh well.

What do you think?
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

I never played the original. Isn't this game supposed to be really hard?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ

It doesn't even come out for another month, so I don't think Galaxy is going to overshadow it all that much. It's going to get the same amount of attention as any other Wii game gets.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By apathylad

I was thinking about picking up Metroid: Other M instead of this...I'll probably buy Sin & Punishment eventually, either way. I bought the first on the Virtual Console.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel
    @Apathylad said:
    " I was thinking about picking up Metroid: Other M instead of this...I'll probably buy Sin & Punishment eventually, either way. I bought the first on the Virtual Console. "
    You'll have plenty of time for both, actually.  Other M's release was pushed back to August.  My guess is that Nintendo wanted to give Sin & Punishment some breathing room.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ryanwho

This is one of those games that on its best day still has limited appeal. Blaming its inevitable low sales on the console its on or another game coming out that plays nothing like it is just kind of lazy.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Meowayne

That's why this was delayed a month for NA while Galaxy was delayed a month for PAL, I would guess.

Good thing I got my copy. Excellent game.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HandsomeDead

This seems like something that would be on XBLA or PSN.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By rjayb89

I like to sin and I like to punish, but I also like to galaxy.  Hmm.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Meowayne
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " This seems like something that would be on XBLA or PSN. "
    Explain.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Meowayne said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    Explain. "
    It's a niche shmup that's a sequel to a game that wasn't released in the West besides as a VC title about 10 years after it came out in Japan. Who are they expecting to buy this?
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ryanwho
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " @Meowayne said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    Explain. "
    It's a niche shmup that's a sequel to a game that wasn't released in the West besides as a VC title about 10 years after it came out in Japan. Who are they expecting to buy this? "
    People who liked Star Fox 64? Idunno. I'm sure the number of prints they make will be indicator enough of their expectations. A lot of Japanese devs make limited print for games that would probably do better as downloadables just because that's the traditional way to handle it.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#13  Edited By Icemael
    @AgentJ said:
    " It doesn't even come out for another month"
    What? I saw it in the store a couple of days ago...
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#14  Edited By AgentJ
    @Icemael said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    What? I saw it in the store a couple of days ago... "
    Well, in the states
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Icemael
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    What? I saw it in the store a couple of days ago... "
    Well, in the states "
    Oh, right. I looked it up, and apparently it was released May 7th here. 

If only that happened to games I cared about... we got Alan Wake a couple of days earlier, but that hardly makes up for stuff like Brawl, Tales of Vesperia and Demon's Souls.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Willy105
    @HandsomeDead said:
    Luckily, Nintendo doesn't see the need to discriminate against games based on their genre.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Willy105 said:

" @HandsomeDead said:

Luckily, Nintendo doesn't see the need to discriminate against games based on their genre. "
    Instead it's likely to give a limited run on a game and stagger the releases through the territories rather than putting it online for a lower price and potentially across all territories at once like the majority of XBLA and PSN releases.
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By Dalai

Sin & Punishment 2 is pretty much a dead man walking despite its close proximity to Galaxy 2. It's an obscure game from a franchise that is foreign to almost everyone. I plan on picking it up, but very few will buy it.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Willy105
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " @Willy105 said:

" @HandsomeDead said:

Luckily, Nintendo doesn't see the need to discriminate against games based on their genre. "
    Instead it's likely to give a limited run on a game and stagger the releases through the territories rather than putting it online for a lower price and potentially across all territories at once like the majority of XBLA and PSN releases. "
    Yeah, where games go to die.  

A physical release is much more dignified, to the developers and the consumer, even if Nintendo dislikes releasing games at the same time in different regions (for some inexplicable reason).
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Willy105 said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    " @Willy105 said:

" @HandsomeDead said:

Instead it's likely to give a limited run on a game and stagger the releases through the territories rather than putting it online for a lower price and potentially across all territories at once like the majority of XBLA and PSN releases. "
    Yeah, where games go to die.    A physical release is much more dignified, to the developers and the consumer, even if Nintendo dislikes releasing games at the same time in different regions (for some inexplicable reason). "
    Implying that being completely downloadable is showing a game a lack of dignity seems incredibly outdated. Especially considering there never was and never will be any dignity in the video game market. Granted, you see the services now and you see games that don't justify retail but at the same time, you look at the Virtual Console and you see all the titles released there, including the last Sin and Punishment meaning that it's likely that crowd, the ones who would actually be interested in this game, wouldn't be too put off by the download.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Icemael
    @Willy105 said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    The game is reportedly 4 hours long. When people say they'd like Muramasa, an 18-hour game, to be ported and released on Xbox Live Arcade, I laugh just as much as the next reasonable guy, but this... this should've been downloadable. The steep price is going to hurt sales, both in the short run and the long; especially when you take into consideration how slowly Wii games drop in price.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By agentboolen

To obscure to be really thought of as a blockbuster title.  I bet Nintendo figures this game might find a audience but knows it would never be a big sales maker.   Mario Galaxy 2 doesn't effect its sales in any way in my opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
    deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm shocked that nintendo would let a casual friendly title overshadow one for the core gaming audience.  

shocked.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Willy105
    @Icemael said:

" @Willy105 said:

" @HandsomeDead said:

The game is reportedly 4 hours long. When people say they'd like Muramasa, an 18-hour game, to be ported and released on Xbox Live Arcade, I laugh just as much as the next reasonable guy, but this... this should've been downloadable. The steep price is going to hurt sales, both in the short run and the long; especially when you take into consideration how slowly Wii games drop in price. "

Muramasa was said to be more like a downloadable game because it was a 2D game. People didn't ask Modern Warfare 2 to be a download only game, even though it was a lot shorter than that game.

@HandsomeDead said:

" @Willy105 said:

" @HandsomeDead said:
    " @Willy105 said:

" @HandsomeDead said:

Yeah, where games go to die.    A physical release is much more dignified, to the developers and the consumer, even if Nintendo dislikes releasing games at the same time in different regions (for some inexplicable reason). "
    Implying that being completely downloadable is showing a game a lack of dignity seems incredibly outdated. Especially considering there never was and never will be any dignity in the video game market. Granted, you see the services now and you see games that don't justify retail but at the same time, you look at the Virtual Console and you see all the titles released there, including the last Sin and Punishment meaning that it's likely that crowd, the ones who would actually be interested in this game, wouldn't be too put off by the download. "
      Virtual Console are for old games. There is a difference between a service that sells old games that are at least one decade old that they don't make any more, than a brand new game. The last Sin and Punishment was an N64 game. When it came out on VC, it wasn't new.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Willy105: People didn't ask for MW2 to be downloadable because it has multiplayer, all kinds of voice acting and assets that Muramasa did not, regardless of length and in terms of franchise, the last MW game was disc based while the last Sin & Punishment game was VC based.

I don't know if you're being a pedant or what about Virtual Console only being for old games and waiting for me to say 'Well, what about Wii Ware' or what. Just because there's an arbitrary division in Nintendo's downloadable market, it doesn't make it any less viable as a retail option and this would be perfect for VC considering that even though Sin & Punishment is a decade old, that was the first time many people in the West played it so that would be the perfect place to release the sequel considering that it is such a niche title. Considering the level of disassociation between the way Nintendo market the Wii and this kind of game, it's likely that if those people are interested enough that they downloaded the first one, they'll download the second meanwhile everyone else is likely to either pay it no interest or it'll be swamped in shelf space by whatever else is being released that week.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Willy105
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " @Willy105: People didn't ask for MW2 to be downloadable because it has multiplayer, all kinds of voice acting and assets that Muramasa did not, regardless of length and in terms of franchise, the last MW game was disc based while the last Sin & Punishment game was VC based.

I don't know if you're being a pedant or what about Virtual Console only being for old games and waiting for me to say 'Well, what about Wii Ware' or what. Just because there's an arbitrary division in Nintendo's downloadable market, it doesn't make it any less viable as a retail option and this would be perfect for VC considering that even though Sin & Punishment is a decade old, that was the first time many people in the West played it so that would be the perfect place to release the sequel considering that it is such a niche title. Considering the level of disassociation between the way Nintendo market the Wii and this kind of game, it's likely that if those people are interested enough that they downloaded the first one, they'll download the second meanwhile everyone else is likely to either pay it no interest or it'll be swamped in shelf space by whatever else is being released that week. "

So the game will be sent to die, just by a different manner which I thought. Alright then.

Although there is no reason to shoot higher than the niche. That's how games like MW2 became popular. Even though they are in a niche genre, they brought that genre to the masses.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Willy105: If by sent to die, you mean given the largest chance of being played, then yeah.

There's a mass appeal to MW2 though. It appeals to plenty of people. Sin & Punishment doesn't.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Willy105
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " @Willy105: If by sent to die, you mean given the largest chance of being played, then yeah.  There's a mass appeal to MW2 though. It appeals to plenty of people. Sin & Punishment doesn't. "
    Other than MW2 being set in a realistic Iraq/Afghanistan War setting, and Sin and Punishment is sci-fi mixed with religion, they are still shooters. Sin and Punishment is also more casual friendly because of it's straightforward and simpler controls.

I'm sure given the chance, Sin and Punishment can be as big as Bioshock.
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By Dalai
    @Willy105 said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    " @Willy105: If by sent to die, you mean given the largest chance of being played, then yeah.  There's a mass appeal to MW2 though. It appeals to plenty of people. Sin & Punishment doesn't. "
    Other than MW2 being set in a realistic Iraq/Afghanistan War setting, and Sin and Punishment is sci-fi mixed with religion, they are still shooters. Sin and Punishment is also more casual friendly because of it's straightforward and simpler controls.  I'm sure given the chance, Sin and Punishment can be as big as Bioshock. "
    I think the Modern Warfare 2 metaphor is not at all correct. Modern Warfare 2 sold something like 58 bajillion copies, hardly niche. Sin & Punishment is only going to appeal to people who either really liked the first game or people who like on-rails shooters. And since the original came out here 10 years too late, very few people outside of Japan actually played it. Plus, I wouldn't call Sin & Punishment casual friendly... simpler controls don't mean it will appeal to casuals. 

To HandsomeDead's point about it working on XBLA or PSN, I'm not so sure abut that. I can see the reasoning since the game is supposedly about 4 hours long, but look at House of the Dead: Overkill, a 3 hour long game? It's not exactly unprecedented. It's gonna be disappointing to people who don't know what exactly they're buying, but fans of Treasure will be happy. 

It's still gonna sell like ass however they release it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.