Game Informer Review - Singularity

#2 Posted by EpicSteve (6499 posts) -

So the review didn't talk about why the singleplayer shouldn't be missed? He just gave a few details on the plot?

#3 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

Score?

#4 Posted by yinstarrunner (1240 posts) -

I had the ending spoiled for me yesterday, and surprisingly enough, that's what made me kinda want to pick this up.

#5 Posted by Cirdain (3146 posts) -
@ArchScabby: @EpicSteve: Sorry I thought I gave a link. Fixed it! 
#6 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -
@Cirdain: Well you made up for it by making a big ass link 0_o
#7 Posted by EpicSteve (6499 posts) -

He could've elaborated more.

#8 Posted by Meltac (2007 posts) -

It actually seems like everybody really likes it.

#9 Posted by Gearhead (2251 posts) -

...And no one is going to buy it, because no one has any clue what the fuck it is.

#10 Posted by Oni (2110 posts) -

Yeah this game's followed kind of a weird trajectory. I feel like it's been in development for ages for some reason, but it doesn't have a very strong identity. Apparently it's not bad though so I might pick it up some day.

#11 Posted by SSully (4316 posts) -

I thought it was going to be pretty crappy to be honest, it gets no coverage and i know almost nothing about it. But since the reviews are pretty good i may give it a try someday.

#12 Posted by JJWeatherman (14569 posts) -

Can anyone really trust a magazine run by Gamestop? Aren't they just trying to create game sales with their reviews? 
 
I've just been thinking that for a long time, so there I said it.

#13 Posted by Hamst3r (4563 posts) -
@Gearhead said:
" ...And no one is going to buy it, because no one has any clue what the fuck it is. "

Bought!
#14 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
#15 Posted by Cirdain (3146 posts) -
#16 Edited by Cirdain (3146 posts) -

I'm guessing either a 4 or 5 star review from GB. I'm thinking 4 stars even though I've found nothing wrong with this game and I rated it personally at 5 stars.

#17 Posted by Andrela (622 posts) -

Jeff seems to like it as well

#18 Posted by Cirdain (3146 posts) -

 Oh woah! look at those twitter post 
  

Just played the first hour or so of Singularity for a Quick Look. It really drew me in, can't wait to get home and get going on it for real.


and 

  I hate those Russians with their stupid backwards R's! I'll shoot them with TIME.


Look like someone's gonna get a good review :)    
#19 Edited by jakob187 (21755 posts) -
@Gearhead said:

"...And no one is going to buy it, because no one has any clue what the fuck it is. "


I'm not going to buy it because it's $60 for a new IP that has had little promotion and not very much out in the way of trailers and gameplay clips for me. 
 
Maybe I'll go look some stuff up and make a decision.  With Crackdown 2 on the way, though, it's going to be tough to sell me on getting Singularity instead. 
 
*EDIT*  Oh snap, a Quick Look?  Then I'll wait and see!
#20 Posted by Cirdain (3146 posts) -
@jakob187: That you will my friend, that you will. 
And when he makes that video sales for the game are going to rocket.
#21 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

I'm glad that I watched the QL.  It was a bit more derivative than I expected, but it did look interesting.  I think it'll be a good buy when it drops to $20-30 in the next six months or so.

#22 Posted by JJWeatherman (14569 posts) -
@Cirdain said:
" @JJWeatherman said: 

" Can anyone really trust a magazine run by Gamestop? Aren't they just trying to create game sales with their reviews?  I've just been thinking that for a long time, so there I said it. "

Ok how about these reviews
 
 
Gamespot 8.0/10 
PCgames.de 77% 
Cheatcode central 4.2/5 
3djuegos 86/100 
Eurogamer 80/100 
Planet Xbox 360 8.5/10 
Gamereactor.se   9/10 
Videogameszone.de   75% "
Just so you understand, I wasn't accusing this game of being bad. I was just making a general statement about the possible bias' of Game Informer. I mean it's a valid point, right?
#23 Posted by Cirdain (3146 posts) -
@JJWeatherman: Not in this case. You say that there was bias. I then provided other reviews that dis-proved your point (for this specific review) making your point un-valid (for this review). 
I'm sure that sometimes there are some sly things going on but in the case there isn't.
#24 Posted by JJWeatherman (14569 posts) -
@Cirdain said:
" @JJWeatherman: Not in this case. You say that there was bias. I then provided other reviews that dis-proved your point (for this specific review) making your point un-valid (for this review). I'm sure that sometimes there are some sly things going on but in the case there isn't. "
That's the point I was trying to get across: I'm not talking about this game or this specific review at all. 
 
Yes I realize I probably should have been, given the purpose of this thread. But I was making a general statement about other potential reviews within the magazine disregarding this specific game completely. As I said, I wasn't trying to say it's bad. I'm thinking more about games that aren't so great and how they may try to give the game a higher score to boost sales a bit. It's really a different topic for a different thread that I probably shouldn't have brought up, but whatever I already did.
#25 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1789 posts) -

Yo this game is really good.

#26 Posted by Cirdain (3146 posts) -

Yeah I'm about to upload some screen shots

#27 Posted by septim (774 posts) -

I just finished this game. Might be my favorite game of the year so far. It's story and mechanics blow Bioshock 2 out of the water. The weapons and powers feel great, and they are satisfying to use. I found the story to be more engaging than it's spiritual predecessor Bioshock. It's got hooks in time travel irregularity, mysterious characters, and historical / political intrigue. 
 
Anyone who enjoyed Bioshock would do well to check this one out.

#28 Posted by FinalDasa (2045 posts) -
@Cirdain said:
"Cheatcode central 4.2/5   "
 
4.2???? 
How the fuck does someone, after finishing a video game, randomly assign such a specific number to it?
Moderator
#29 Edited by Cirdain (3146 posts) -
@FinalDasa:  this is from the site.
Rating out of 5
Rating Description

4.3


Graphics
The world of Katorga-12 and its inhabitants looked good and are helped out by some nice damage and weather effects.

4.1


Control
Everything feels solid, with the only potential problems coming from having a fairly large list of abilities that require a wide variety of inputs to pull off.

4.2


Music / Sound FX / Voice Acting
The constant repetitive shouts of your Russian enemies will likely get on your nerves; otherwise, the music and voice acting are well done throughout the game.

4.2


Play Value
You’ll have a great time with the single-player campaign and the fairly limited, but entertaining, multiplayer component of Singularity is just icing on the cake.

4.2


Overall Rating Great 
Not an average. See Rating legend above for a final score breakdown.
#30 Posted by JJWeatherman (14569 posts) -
@Cirdain said:
" @FinalDasa:  this is from the site.
Rating out of 5
Rating Description

4.3


Graphics
The world of Katorga-12 and its inhabitants looked good and are helped out by some nice damage and weather effects.

4.1


Control
Everything feels solid, with the only potential problems coming from having a fairly large list of abilities that require a wide variety of inputs to pull off.

4.2


Music / Sound FX / Voice Acting
The constant repetitive shouts of your Russian enemies will likely get on your nerves; otherwise, the music and voice acting are well done throughout the game.

4.2


Play Value
You’ll have a great time with the single-player campaign and the fairly limited, but entertaining, multiplayer component of Singularity is just icing on the cake.

4.2


Overall Rating Great 
Not an average. See Rating legend above for a final score breakdown.
"
Decimal systems in reviews are BS. There's no way this reviewer can actually differentiate between 4.1 and 4.3 on a consistent basis.
#31 Posted by Cirdain (3146 posts) -
@JJWeatherman: agreed
#32 Posted by CactusJack (143 posts) -
@septim:  I think saying if you like Bioshock, to check this out has sold me.  I've been on the fence about this one.  I love good single player, so I'll pick this up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.