I just bought Alpha Protocol for $4.99 on the Steam sale...

#1 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -

.. and now I see that Singularity, another game that has been well received by at least a few members of this community, is on sale, too, for $7.49 USD. Anyone care to recommend it?

#2 Posted by ajamafalous (11592 posts) -

I bought Singularity a few sales ago but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. I was actually thinking about doing that this week.
 
 
That won't really help with your recommendation though, unfortunately.

#3 Edited by damswedon (3168 posts) -
#4 Posted by JoyfullOFrockets (1175 posts) -

I think you should have just went for Singularity to begin with, it may be somewhat unoriginal but from what I've seen in Alpha Protocol... yeah, bummer.

#5 Posted by salad10203 (654 posts) -

Haven't played it, but be sure to mod Alpha Protocol, its necessary to fix the game.

#6 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@JoyfullOFrockets said:
I think you should have just went for Singularity to begin with, it may be somewhat unoriginal but from what I've seen in Alpha Protocol... yeah, bummer.
Don't worry, I like wasting money on video games I never get around to playing.
#7 Posted by SSully (4060 posts) -

Singulairty is a pretty good game. It doesn't do anything special, but it does everything right. It is just a good, fun game.

#8 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2661 posts) -

Singularity is like a b-rate Bioshock. Definitely worth playing.

PC Alpha Protocol is best with an X360 controller, by the way.

#9 Posted by JoyfullOFrockets (1175 posts) -
@iDarktread said:
@JoyfullOFrockets said:
I think you should have just went for Singularity to begin with, it may be somewhat unoriginal but from what I've seen in Alpha Protocol... yeah, bummer.
Don't worry, I like wasting money on video games I never get around to playing.
In that case, go for it. I'm pretty sure you'll at least be able to finish it without getting bored.
#10 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@Rolyatkcinmai said:

Singularity is like a b-rate Bioshock. Definitely worth playing.

PC Alpha Protocol is best with an X360 controller, by the way.

So I've heard. I only have a wireless 360 controller at the moment, unfortunately, but I can run motioninjoy or whatever the hell it's called to get a PS3 controller working.
#11 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (5797 posts) -

@SSully said:

Singulairty is a pretty good game. It doesn't do anything special, but it does everything right. It is just a good, fun game.

That's really about it. It's an entertaining, solid shooter. Fun story, too, and some genuinely tense moments of running and gunning.

Moderator
#12 Edited by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

@SSully said:

Singulairty is a pretty good game. It doesn't do anything special, but it does everything right. It is just a good, fun game.

That's really about it. It's an entertaining, solid shooter. Fun story, too, and some genuinely tense moments of running and gunning.

Is it "better" than F3AR? 
 
I'm loving F3AR, at least the multi-player modes.
#13 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2661 posts) -

@iDarktread said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

Singularity is like a b-rate Bioshock. Definitely worth playing.

PC Alpha Protocol is best with an X360 controller, by the way.

So I've heard. I only have a wireless 360 controller at the moment, unfortunately, but I can run motioninjoy or whatever the hell it's called to get a PS3 controller working.

I use my wireless Xbox 360 controller with my PC. Just need the little $3 receiver.

#14 Edited by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@Rolyatkcinmai: $3? I've only seen it for like $28 online.
#15 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7612 posts) -

@salad10203 said:

Haven't played it, but be sure to mod Alpha Protocol, its necessary to fix the game.

How so? The only big issue with the game was the utterly boring story.

The gameplay mechanics were pretty good, much more what we should be expecting from Bioware. Less of an emphesis on mindless action and back to requiring skills and stats that actually mean something.

#16 Posted by FlamingHobo (4475 posts) -

It pisses me off that the time Steam has a sale that I have bugger all funds to buy games! Been able to spend around a tenner and now I'm broke!

#17 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

you just bought the 2nd best game of last year.
Alpha Protocol is fantastic

#18 Edited by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@kingzetta: That's good. :)
#19 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

@salad10203 said:

Haven't played it, but be sure to mod Alpha Protocol, its necessary to fix the game.

How so? The only big issue with the game was the utterly boring story.

The gameplay mechanics were pretty good, much more what we should be expecting from Bioware. Less of an emphesis on mindless action and back to requiring skills and stats that actually mean something.

the overarching story was a little bland, but I felt the interesting characters made up for it

#20 Posted by AlisterCat (5399 posts) -

@FlamingHobo said:

It pisses me off that the time Steam has a sale that I have bugger all funds to buy games! Been able to spend around a tenner and now I'm broke!

Same! I just graduated from Unviersity and I've spent about £10 - £15 on the sales, lots of tiny games and then I couldn't spare the £15 for Assassins Creed Brotherhood. Timing is bad for me. Need a damn jerb.

#21 Posted by ikwal (225 posts) -

If you liked Alpha Protocol I'm guessing your standards isn't too high, so you'll probably like it.

#22 Edited by Sparky_Buzzsaw (5797 posts) -

@iDarktread:

I'm not sure. I haven't played Fear 3 (I refuse to call it F3ar), but from what I've seen, I think the single player could be better in Singularity, but the multiplayer might be better in Fear 3. That's just a slightly educated guess, though. I really did enjoy the campaign for Singularity and think it holds up pretty well. Honestly, for $5, I think it's well worth it.

Moderator
#23 Posted by Rhaknar (5940 posts) -

Singularity is awesome.

#24 Posted by FlamingHobo (4475 posts) -
@AlisterCat said:

@FlamingHobo said:

It pisses me off that the time Steam has a sale that I have bugger all funds to buy games! Been able to spend around a tenner and now I'm broke!

Same! I just graduated from Unviersity and I've spent about £10 - £15 on the sales, lots of tiny games and then I couldn't spare the £15 for Assassins Creed Brotherhood. Timing is bad for me. Need a damn jerb.

I feel your pain bro. -Really- wanted the discount on Shogun 2. Steam hates me, I swear.
#25 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2661 posts) -

@iDarktread said:

@Rolyatkcinmai: $3? I've only seen it for like $28 online.

I think I paid $3 for mine on Amazon a few years back. That sucks though.

#26 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@ikwal: I have not played Alpha Protocol yet. I just purchased it this morning.
#27 Posted by salad10203 (654 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind: I can't remember from where, but I downloaded mods to balance the game, such as making the walk and sprint speeds realistic (make it harder and change fov/higher textures.  But it made for a much better experience.
#28 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

I recommend it. Great atmosphere (If you're like me and love reading through notes left behind or listening to audio logs, you will definitely appreciate this game), multiple endings, flashbacks (Just love them), with an interesting story and plot twists (You can find a plot hole or something not entirely thought out here and there, but overall it's quite good). Only thing that bothered me was the lack of subtitles.

#29 Posted by Redbullet685 (5980 posts) -

Singularity is a pretty good game. Definitely worth $7.50

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.