Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Singularity

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 29, 2010

Singularity is Raven Software's alternate history shooter, where the player is given the ability of time manipulation.

I now appreciate Bioshock

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Edited By AhmadMetallic

I dont have much to say here, except that after playing 30 minutes of Singularity, i can see how phenomenal and influential Bioshock is with it's unique atmosphere, grim graphics and attention to environment details.  

*Bioshock*

I dunno why i couldnt - and still cant - swallow Bioshock. that bitch wont grow on me.. Be it the really crazy and twitchy enemies that tackle you like maniacs and make you uncomfortable, or the few times i didnt know where to go, etc.. 
    I did see how much of a quality game it is from the very first minute, and im the kinda guy who enjoys a good atmospheric FPS with an interesting story, but all i could feel for Bioshock was hate, increasing overtime. 

*Singularity*

So this blog is dedicated to scrap what i said in the past about Bioshock. To admit that it's a one of a kind game - one that will influence other games for a long time - and that i simply wasnt lucky enough to enjoy it right. 

Posted on the Singularity forums to point out that Singularity is straight up a Bioshock spin-off. kinda.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I dont have much to say here, except that after playing 30 minutes of Singularity, i can see how phenomenal and influential Bioshock is with it's unique atmosphere, grim graphics and attention to environment details.  

*Bioshock*

I dunno why i couldnt - and still cant - swallow Bioshock. that bitch wont grow on me.. Be it the really crazy and twitchy enemies that tackle you like maniacs and make you uncomfortable, or the few times i didnt know where to go, etc.. 
    I did see how much of a quality game it is from the very first minute, and im the kinda guy who enjoys a good atmospheric FPS with an interesting story, but all i could feel for Bioshock was hate, increasing overtime. 

*Singularity*

So this blog is dedicated to scrap what i said in the past about Bioshock. To admit that it's a one of a kind game - one that will influence other games for a long time - and that i simply wasnt lucky enough to enjoy it right. 

Posted on the Singularity forums to point out that Singularity is straight up a Bioshock spin-off. kinda.

AlfredCapone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By AlfredCapone

Really...I may have check Singularity out now

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ryanwho

Gameplay wasn't great in Bioshock. Singularity looks more competent in that regard and less competent in every other regard.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By natetodamax

I don't understand why people say the gameplay in Bioshock wasn't so great. I bought the game again a few months ago because I think it's a lot of fun to play, not necessarily so I could experience the story again.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ryanwho

The environment was designed with aesthetics in mind and doesn't complement the gameplay. So there are a lot of clunky gameplay moments, or there were for me. And I was done with hacking after the first time. And dont get me started on the "bosses".

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jimbo

I don't think Bioshock is quite as mind-blowingly awesome as it's made out to be either.  The concept is neat, they created an incredible environment and it had a decent story (for a game) - but a lot of it felt quite gimmicky to me and I didn't think the gameplay was that great either.  It's less than the sum of its parts, imo.  I was bored of it before I got to the end.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By sjschmidt93

Bioshock's gameplay was good, Bioshock 2 improved on the gameplay but nothing else.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kmdrkul

Bioshock is great, although it took me over a year to beat it.  I originally had started it and played it for a couple of hours and then - like you - said to myself that I wasn't feeling it and put it on the shelf.  One bored day like a year after I got it I decided to pop it in and pick up where I left off and finished it within a day and realized how awesome the game was.  Singularity looks like a good title, but I'll probably wait for the price drop.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, Singularity is the time traveler's BioShock? I need to be more excited for this game.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @ryanwho said: 
    " Gameplay wasn't great in Bioshock. Singularity looks more competent in that regard and less competent in every other regard. "
    Phew.. i thought i was the only one. thanks man! 

@natetodamax said:
    " I don't understand why people say the gameplay in Bioshock wasn't so great. I bought the game again a few months ago because I think it's a lot of fun to play, not necessarily so I could experience the story again. "
    i find it rather interesting when someone enjoys a game's gameplay though most people find it bad.. glad u enjoy it 

@Video_Game_King said:
    " Wait, Singularity is the time traveler's BioShock? I need to be more excited for this game. "
    dont get me wrong but i've always taken you for a 80s-90s gamer living in the past, with all your Fire Emblem games and shit. the first time i saw you praise Bioshock (somewhere on these forums) i was kinda surprised :P 
    Yes, i think you'd really enjoy Singularity (story and atmosphere-wise), though the cinematic moments and the game's pace is rather MW2-ish which is such a turn off.
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Snipzor

No, Singularity is not better than Bioshock. Not even close, and I don't get the juxtaposition of the two to be honest. Just because you switch from gun to hand, doesn't mean it's like bioshock.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By sweep  Moderator

The beauty of Bioshock was in it's pacing - leaving you in a constant state of wonder as you progressed. The first time you use a plasmid, the first time you fight a splicer, your first steps into rapture, your first Big Daddy, the first Little Sister. I can still remember each encounter vividly. Fantastic game that made lots of solid lasting impressions - not to mention a mind blowing twist at the end. 

But I can understand inexplicable feelings of cynicism as well. Sometimes shit just wont click.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13  Edited By Levio

I think Bio's worst problem was the lack of good plasmids.  The guns and wrench were just better in every regard.  And that kinda throws the whole creative fighting process out the window.

That being said, I still think its one of the best current gen games I've played.

CouncilSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By CouncilSpectre

I just bought Bioshock again.  The reason being I just finished Bioshock 2 and it made me realise how much better the first game was in every way.  I traded the weird and boring Bioshock 2 for the weird and awesome first one and will keep it forever.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Snipzor said:
    " and I don't get the juxtaposition of the two to be honest. Just because you switch from gun to hand, doesn't mean it's like bioshock. "
    this blog is written like this : "after playing Singularity, i appreciate Bioshock's A, B and C." meaning that "those A B C exist one way or another, in Singularity" meaning that those things show Bio's influence. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7
    deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Singularity quicklook looked like a goofy Bioshock with some Modern Warfare 2 added in to please the kids. 

Can anyone who has played Singularity tell me if these is somewhat true? And if that's a good or bad thing?

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#18  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Ahmad_Metallic: 

I only play the old games because you can download them without people giving a shit. Besides, I've been playing more modern games recently. Red Dead Redemption, Wii Sports Resort, and hell, my next blog has Silent Hill 2 as one of the games.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Ahmad_Metallic: Wow, I thought I was the only one who disliked Bioshock. I mean, I can totally see its appeal, but after the second-or-so time it crashed on me, I just didn't feel like playing any more of it (probably a good half-way through at that point).

On the other hand, I was totally expecting Singularity to be nothing more than another failed-attempt at the first-person time-traveling war story. After seeing that quick look, I was surprisingly impressed.
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Snipzor
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Snipzor said:
    " and I don't get the juxtaposition of the two to be honest. Just because you switch from gun to hand, doesn't mean it's like bioshock. "
    this blog is written like this : "after playing Singularity, i appreciate Bioshock's A, B and C." meaning that "those A B C exist one way or another, in Singularity" meaning that those things show Bio's influence.  "
    I know, but I'm talking to the "Bioshock<<<<Singularity" posts.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Keenblaze said:
    " The Singularity quicklook looked like a goofy Bioshock with some Modern Warfare 2 added in to please the kids.  Can anyone who has played Singularity tell me if these is somewhat true? And if that's a good or bad thing? "
    like i said to VideoGameKing, it's mostly like Bioshock (atmosphere, visual style, historic story of mysterious unfortunate events), though it does have some MW2 elements, like the cinematic scenes or the rather fast-pacing. not to mention that Devlin is pretty much your MacTavish. 

dont take my word though, i only played for 30 minutes. 
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By Dalai

Seeing as I am a recent convert to Bioshock and immensely enjoying the aesthetics, Singularity is now looking slightly more interesting. The problem is that I have plenty of Bioshock to soak in at the time.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By Sooperspy
    @natetodamax said:
    " I don't understand why people say the gameplay in Bioshock wasn't so great."
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HandsomeDead

The combat in BioShock was hideous. Definitely one of those games where I enjoyed everything about it apart from having to play it.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " The combat in BioShock was hideous. Definitely one of those games where I enjoyed everything about it apart from having to play it. "
    Exactly.. i wish there was an option where i can sit back and have the computer play the game while i watch
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By c1337us

I have been resisting getting Singularity until my pay day.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By get2sammyb

I actually prefer Singularity to Bioshock. I liked Bioshock, but Singularity's drawn me in more, and I don't find the combat half as frustrating. I just found Bioshock tedious. I can accept Singularity borrows a lot, and acknowledge that Bioshock started this type of game. But yeah, I prefer Singularity.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

Good. One of my favourite games ever. It truly is remarkable. Glad you can appreciate it now :D

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bybeach

Bioshock was okay in its gameplay. they must have done some subtle improvements in Bio 2, because it seemed the same in basics..just easiar. A game that is reminding me how built in clunky it is, is Dead Space. Definetly a hate/love experience going on there. 

And Yes, both Bio games excelled in atmosphere.
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

And it only took you three years!

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ryanwho
    @get2sammyb said:
    " I actually prefer Singularity to Bioshock. I liked Bioshock, but Singularity's drawn me in more, and I don't find the combat half as frustrating. I just found Bioshock tedious. I can accept Singularity borrows a lot, and acknowledge that Bioshock started this type of game. But yeah, I prefer Singularity. "
    It didn't start this kind of game, its popularized it. Prior to this game, the same devs made System Shock 1 and 2 and used all the same tricks. Basically Bioshock is a case of console owners falling into that "if I haven't seen it, its new to me" trap. Just like they did when PC style RPGs were introduced to consoles.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People getting mad at Singularity for being like BioShock kind of frustrates me.  This is an almost exclusively iterative business.  The entire art form is based on taking an old idea and applying new ideas to it.  And considering that there has been a grand total of two games released since BioShock that are BioShockesque (Singularity and BioShock 2), it seems weird to get so agitated.

Some of my favorite games of this year are iterative takes on past formulas.  Darksiders, Bayonetta, Trauma Team... all these games can be described using past games, but they are still completely worth playing.

Hell, my favorite game from this year might as well be called Gears of BioWare.

I think I'm starting to feel like Jeff in that 'three star' games end up taking up a lot of my headspace.  For some reason I appreciate games like Dead to Rights and Alpha Protocol more than they technically deserve.  I may be growing that way with Singularity.  And I'm no fan of Raven or Activision products in general.  I think the only Raven games I've ever liked are the first X-Men Legends and Hexen when I was 13 or something.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Singularity reminds me more of the recent wolfenstein with the abilities and graphics than bioshock. However that's just me, maybe others doesn't see it that way.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By demontium

Yeah, we all agree that singularity is a bioshock rip-off. 

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @bybeach said:
    " Bioshock was okay in its gameplay. they must have done some subtle improvements in Bio 2, because it seemed the same in basics..just easiar. A game that is reminding me how built in clunky it is, is Dead Space. Definetly a hate/love experience going on there.  And Yes, both Bio games excelled in atmosphere. "
    Woah, among the few games Singularity "copies" in style, the second right after Bioshock is Dead Space (the horror aspect of Singularity.. same jump scare style and pretty much the exact same creatures from Dead Space) 

@Brodehouse: we're not mad at Singularity. we're embracing the Bioshock influence on it, thats all. 

@demontium said:
    " Yeah, we all agree that singularity is a bioshock rip-off.  "
    in a good way (:
    zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By zityz

I couldn't get into Bioshock. I have a phobia of large bodies of water at night. Also flying. So you could Imagine how one person would feel at the beginning of the game. That and being underwater gave me the creeps. So it never really got me hooked.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @zityz said:
    " I couldn't get into Bioshock. I have a phobia of large bodies of water at night. Also flying. So you could Imagine how one person would feel at the beginning of the game. That and being underwater gave me the creeps. So it never really got me hooked. "
    that excludes many great games from your collection doesnt it ?
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By thatfrood
    @Sweep said:
    " The beauty of Bioshock was in it's pacing - leaving you in a constant state of wonder as you progressed. The first time you use a plasmid, the first time you fight a splicer, your first steps into rapture, your first Big Daddy, the first Little Sister. I can still remember each encounter vividly. Fantastic game that made lots of solid lasting impressions - not to mention a mind blowing twist at the end. 

But I can understand inexplicable feelings of cynicism as well. Sometimes shit just wont click. "
    It had masterful pacing up until the middle of the game when, by all accounts, it should have ended... and then just kept going.
    bosshog70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bosshog70

I like the look of this game

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AlwaysAngry

I loved BioShock. It's one of my favorite games of all time. Strange though, considering once I was about 2 hours away from the ending, I stopped playing for about a little over a month because I thought the gameplay was boring. BUT, looking back, I think I just needed a little break and realized not only how great it was, but how great the gameplay was too! 

If that was too hard to understand, then here: BioShock had awesome EVERYTHING, including gameplay. BioShock is a really amazing game.

MrMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MrMuscle

After finishing Singularity a couple of times i decided to dl Bioshock for my 360. I played it on PC when i came out but i felt like playing it again. First of all it quickly reminded me of the things i disliked. The shooting doesnt feel accurate so lightning + wrench gets used alot for me. The other thing i diliked was the hacking, thats just crap. BUT the great things are the atmosphere and just richness of story and enviroment. I think ill get Bioschock 2 when i finish this.

Avatar image for doctorscribbler
    DoctorScribbler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DoctorScribbler

It is very similar bbuuuut I think it's much MUCH shorter.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.