Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jun 05, 2013

Entrenchment and diplomacy have failed to end the wars between the TEC, Advent, and Vasari. These factions now splinter with dissent in Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion.

I never played the previous installments, is this standalone fun?

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Seedofpower

What up duders, this is a common question I ask. Is this installment worth getting without playing the previous ones or playing in general? I love RTS games and haven't heard much buzz about this game while it's at the top of the sold games list on steam.

Also since this week is light on quicklooks, they should totally do one. Just sayin.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By alternate

You can probably pick up the earlier ones for pennies and see if you like it. 4X isn't exactly RTS and not for everyone.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Seedofpower

@alternate said:

4X isn't exactly RTS and not for everyone.

What do you mean?

NicksCorner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By NicksCorner

I really like it. The UI design is masterfully done. Its just so easy to queue up and manage your empire, even as it grows.

Don't worry about being a late comer. Story is of no importance, each instalment has just added more units and features.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By alternate

@Seedofpower said:

@alternate said:

What do you mean?

4X http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4Xis a style of RTS that has a fair bit more depth than most but can overwhelm a lot of regular RTS fans with the density.

Just as a FPS fan might not like Counterstrike or Arma.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Seedofpower

@alternate said:

@Seedofpower said:

@alternate said:

What do you mean?

4X http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4Xis a style of RTS that has a fair bit more depth than most but can overwhelm a lot of regular RTS fans with the density.

Just as a FPS fan might not like Counterstrike or Arma.

I S-ranked Wargame, granted that was an RTT but I consider that the "ArmA" of strategy games. I'll take your advice and pick up the previous copies and try them out.

Masin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Masin

@Seedofpower: The story doesn't matter in Sins. And, in my opinion, it is the one of the best RTS out there. The scale of the game is mind-boggling, with 1000s of ships on the screen at one time assaulting solar systems across the map. It is extremely pretty, the graphics are incredible. And the mods. Dear god, the mods. They are one of the things that make the game so amazing for me. Requiem (A Star Wars mod, and a very well done one) and Sins of a Prophet (A Halo mod). I would say pick up Trinity for a couple of bucks and see what you think, you won't be disappointed.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Seedofpower

@Masin said:

@Seedofpower: The story doesn't matter in Sins. And, in my opinion, it is the one of the best RTS out there. The scale of the game is mind-boggling, with 1000s of ships on the screen at one time assaulting solar systems across the map. It is extremely pretty, the graphics are incredible. And the mods. Dear god, the mods. They are one of the things that make the game so amazing for me. Requiem (A Star Wars mod, and a very well done one) and Sins of a Prophet (A Halo mod). I would say pick up Trinity for a couple of bucks and see what you think, you won't be disappointed.

That sounds pretty bad-ass. Now I'm definitely gonna check it out.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pweidman

I was gonna start a topic in the same vein, but I'll ask here and hopefully some knowledgable duders will reply. So how steep is the learning curve in Rebellion? Are there tutorials in the beginning? The concept sounds awesome, and the new game is getting good reviews, but I've never played Sins before, so yeah. How's the sp, or is it always mp? Also it's hard to find much about this game, so where to ask for help if you need it? Haven't checked their site, but would that be the only source? Very little so far in the G-faqs board.

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By zFUBARz

SP is fine, but it's easy to back the AI into a corner on small maps.

multi and single are the same thing just against bots or real people.

it's definitely worth investigating, and while there are some form of tutorial (i believe) your best bet is just turning off pirates, and fighting some super easy AI for a round ro 2, don't be afraid to pause the game and look around at things.

Divina_Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Divina_Rex

Worth it. A big 4X strategy game. I've only played single player so far but the AI isn't the best but put it on higher difficulties and you'll be entertaining rather bored with the galaxy purge.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.