Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sins of a Solar Empire

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 04, 2008

Take control of one of three playable races as they combat for domination of the galaxy in this RTS title from Ironclad Games.

Picking This Up Soon, Anything I Should Know?

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By mordecaix7

I'm picking up Sins of a Solar Empire soon.  Anything I should know about this game?  Like DRM or stuff like that.

freezerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By freezerr

I just picked this up last week. It's really good and very easy to pick up and play if you have played RTS games before.

Stardock, the publisher, is probably the most anti-DRM publisher out there. They've published a "Gamer's Bill of Rights" that they try to follow and want the industry to adopt.

EDIT: I found the bill of rights. Here it is:

• *Gamers shall have the right to return games that don’t work with their computers for a full refund.
    • *Gamers shall have the right to demand that games be released in a finished state.
    • *Gamers shall have the right to expect meaningful updates after a game’s release.
    • *Gamers shall have the right to demand that download managers and updaters not force themselves to run or be forced to load in order to play a game.
    • *Gamers shall have the right to expect that the minimum requirements for a game will mean that the game will play adequately on that computer.
    • *Gamers shall have the right to expect that games won’t install hidden drivers or other potentially harmful software without their consent.
    • *Gamers shall have the right to re-download the latest versions of the games they own at any time.
    • *Gamers shall have the right to not be treated as potential criminals by developers or publishers.
    • *Gamers shall have the right to demand that a single-player game not force them to be connected to the Internet every time they wish to play.
    • *Gamers shall have the right that games which are installed to the hard drive shall not require a CD/DVD to remain in the drive to play.

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By mordecaix7

Wow, Stardock sounds awesome!  :)  They've got a good reasonable list going there.

I've played some Warcraft 2 and Starcraft back when those games first came out but I've never really been that great at RTS games.  The demo I played of SoaSE felt pretty good and fun to play.  I guess it's because it's so different than other RTS games. 

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By BiggerBomb
    freezerr said:
    "*Gamers shall have the right to expect meaningful updates after a game’s release."

That's a pretty cool list, and one that I mostly agree with. But I do not agree with that (^^.) A customer is paying for the game, nothing more. Anything else is not necessary, and to not add meaningful updates isn't infringing on consumer rights. It's just something that's nice to see, every so often.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By c1337us

That gamers bill of rights is pretty awesome. Congrats to them for adopting the policy.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

What you should know is they plan to have multiple $10 mini expansions the first of which is Entrenchment, coming soon.

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SpecTackle

You should be prepared to invest a ton of time into it. Fantastic game, love it to death, but 4v4 games are basically impossible to finish in one sitting even if you're playing with the game speed and resource speed on fastest.

freezerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By freezerr
    BiggerBomb said:
    "freezerr said:
    "*Gamers shall have the right to expect meaningful updates after a game’s release."
    That's a pretty cool list, and one that I mostly agree with. But I do not agree with that (^^.) A customer is paying for the game, nothing more. Anything else is not necessary, and to not add meaningful updates isn't infringing on consumer rights. It's just something that's nice to see, every so often."

Yes, that is the one "right" that is rather iffy. If the game is balanced and of high quality out of the box, I think the developer should be free to focus on their next project. DLC can be cool, but some of it is pretty lame (see Horse Armor, the Far Cry 2 pack, and a lot of others). There's an expectation of DLC for any major release, and honestly, it feels like a good bit of current DLC is forced and lacking anything interesting.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By BiggerBomb
    freezerr said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "freezerr said:
    That's a pretty cool list, and one that I mostly agree with. But I do not agree with that (^^.) A customer is paying for the game, nothing more. Anything else is not necessary, and to not add meaningful updates isn't infringing on consumer rights. It's just something that's nice to see, every so often."
    Yes, that is the one "right" that is rather iffy. If the game is balanced and of high quality out of the box, I think the developer should be free to focus on their next project. DLC can be cool, but some of it is pretty lame (see Horse Armor, the Far Cry 2 pack, and a lot of others). There's an expectation of DLC for any major release, and honestly, it feels like a good bit of current DLC is forced and lacking anything interesting."

In Bethesda's defense, the later Oblivion addons were quality ones.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.