Downloading The Game Now: 9GB.

#1 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

I'm downloading Siren Blood Curse from the UK store now. It's a 9GB download for all the chapters. Comes in 9 parts. I'm interested to see whether they group together on the XMB or whether I'm going to have 12 seperate boxes. I'll be annoyed if it works in the latter way.

#2 Posted by aemaeth (220 posts) -

Let me know how it turns out, fella.
I'm interested in getting this.

#3 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

Not even half way yet ;)

#4 Posted by Jonathan (654 posts) -

The demo did not hold my interest at all. I played it for about 5 minutes at the most. Tell us how the full game compares.

#5 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -

Tell us how it goes. And if it's good, send it to me free of charge

Just kidding

#6 Posted by DarkLegend (1387 posts) -

That's a little much for me... 9GB?

#7 Posted by AaronBelfast (1491 posts) -

Wait a sec, it's in the UK store, as in United Kingdom store? Hope your not misleading me...

#8 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -
DarkLegend said:
"That's a little much for me... 9GB?"
I think DMC4 is like 12 gigs, games are big nowadays
#9 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

That's a bit much in my eyes. The download speeds on PSN have not been good at all for me and all my friends have had the same problems. I can only imagine how long it would take to download the full game and then install it... and if PSN starts getting a lot of games like this, added with the continuation of games having mandatory installs. I can see the PS3 HDD filling up fast!

#10 Posted by hyperslug (180 posts) -

How is the download comming? i want to hear about the xmb stuff too, does it take op 12 spaces?

#11 Posted by Jonathan (654 posts) -
Kush said:
"That's a bit much in my eyes. The download speeds on PSN have not been good at all for me and all my friends have had the same problems. I can only imagine how long it would take to download the full game and then install it... and if PSN starts getting a lot of games like this, added with the continuation of games having mandatory installs. I can see the PS3 HDD filling up fast!
"
Best thing about the PS3 : You can add your own hard drive. It uses a 2.5 inch laptop hard drive. And it's easy as hell to swipe. Just google it.

Also, I do find the PS3 download speeds a problem as well. 50 MB download on the 360 takes seconds to a minute. While on the PS3 it takes minutes. It's a lot slower for some reason.
#12 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

Took 6 hours 35 minutes to fully download and install. Takes up one slot on your Playstation 3 XMB (which I'm pleased about). Yet to play the game yet because I'm giving my PS3 a bit of a rest but am going ot play through tonight. For those of you curious about the game the full Eurogamer review is up now.

#13 Posted by MCWHAMMER (41 posts) -

Playstation.Blog just posted about the official release today on the store.  They say that it is comparative to a full Blu-ray disc game, and is the biggest game released on PSN yet.

I think I will download in parts (They will sell it in packs or full game, your choice).  Go here to read the details before you DL.

#14 Edited by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

Ok guys I just got done with the first three episodes of Siren Blood Curse. All I can say is: slightly more awesome than you probably think. Sadly the first two episodes were more "training" and pretty short but I'm presuming the game as a whole will pan out differently because Episode 3 was particularly long.

First, the graphics are pretty solid. They're not (obviously) MGS4 or GTA4 standard, they're not even close, but the whole game has a pretty uneasy feel to it and some graphical imperfections only add to the effect. Theres a grain filter over the entire screen all the way through and later into the game you'll encounter a lot of blurring and some decent visual effects. I'm totally used to the camera now but it will hinder some people. It might be considered an excuse but I think the clunkiness of the game kinda adds to the effect. The camera swings, blurs and bumbles all over the place at times only adding further to the frantic nature of the game.

So far the story is ok. Voice acting is decent and the story it's telling is a little cliche but enough to hold your attention. I've been put in some pretty big environments this early in the game which has given me some decent expectations of what's going to come later on and there is potential for awesome.

Some of the presentation is very well done - there is some real life footage and photography hidden in the game which is pretty cool and by the looks of things there will be reasons to replay because there are documents hidden throughout the levels. The AI is pretty sweet too - zombies can hear your footsteps, see your flash light etc.

All in all I'd say so far so good. The only disappointing thing like I've said is the first two episodes being so short but given it took me around 2 hours to complete the first 3 episodes - I'd hope the whole game lasted a good 12 hours. I'll let you know when I beat it if it does - but I'd say £19.99 for a 12 hour game is pretty decent.

It's not without it's flaws and some people might not get into it but so far this game has impressed me given it's price point.

#15 Posted by hyperslug (180 posts) -

Sound surprisingly sweet :D

im going to download the whole thing next time i get paid :-)

Thanks for the info get2sammyb!

#16 Posted by MikeHawk (382 posts) -

looks great! i'm gonna download this after i uninstall linux off of my ps3.

#17 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -
Jonathan said:
"Kush said:
"That's a bit much in my eyes. The download speeds on PSN have not been good at all for me and all my friends have had the same problems. I can only imagine how long it would take to download the full game and then install it... and if PSN starts getting a lot of games like this, added with the continuation of games having mandatory installs. I can see the PS3 HDD filling up fast!
"
Best thing about the PS3 : You can add your own hard drive. It uses a 2.5 inch laptop hard drive. And it's easy as hell to swipe. Just google it.

Also, I do find the PS3 download speeds a problem as well. 50 MB download on the 360 takes seconds to a minute. While on the PS3 it takes minutes. It's a lot slower for some reason.
"
I know that you can swap out and change your hard drive, but I don't want to...I don't like how the PS3 tries to be more like a PC in ways. I hate mandatory installs. Give me the option and I'm fine with installs, but when you make me do something I don't want to do...I'm not going to like it. There is a reason we have PCs and consoles. I don't want some hybrid and I am happy that Sony never went along with their original idea of being able to upgrade the speed and power of the system. The best thing about consoles is that you don't have to do anything to the system. No matter what game comes out for the system you know it will work and it will work well (unless the developers suck lol). I don't know...it just really bugs me (if you couldn't tell already). Anyways it doesn't matter about the size or time it takes to download Siren: Blood Curse because of one simple reason. The game isn't any good from what I've played lol.
#18 Posted by somesthetic (191 posts) -

why make it episodic if you're going to release all the episodes at once?

anyways, I liked the demo, I'll probably pick it up sometime.

#19 Posted by TouchMyBox (52 posts) -

Just picked this up, Did I realllly have to go and download each of the 13 chapters individually? really? couldn't you just make 1 large download for people getting the whole game scea? bahh. The game looks to be tits though. :)

#20 Posted by zitosilva (1838 posts) -

So, the game really only exists as a download? I heard someone had bought it on disc, I think on play-asia, but I'm not sure. I don't really like not having it phisicaly. I know, fetishist, but that's me.

#21 Posted by MissileWarriorz (264 posts) -

9GB thats alot of space but the graphics are good

#22 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -
zitosilva said:
"So, the game really only exists as a download? I heard someone had bought it on disc, I think on play-asia, but I'm not sure. I don't really like not having it phisicaly. I know, fetishist, but that's me.
"
It's available on Blu-Ray disc in some regions I believe. Not sure which though.

Kush said:
"Jonathan said:
"Kush said:
"That's a bit much in my eyes. The download speeds on PSN have not been good at all for me and all my friends have had the same problems. I can only imagine how long it would take to download the full game and then install it... and if PSN starts getting a lot of games like this, added with the continuation of games having mandatory installs. I can see the PS3 HDD filling up fast!
"
Best thing about the PS3 : You can add your own hard drive. It uses a 2.5 inch laptop hard drive. And it's easy as hell to swipe. Just google it.

Also, I do find the PS3 download speeds a problem as well. 50 MB download on the 360 takes seconds to a minute. While on the PS3 it takes minutes. It's a lot slower for some reason.
"
I know that you can swap out and change your hard drive, but I don't want to...I don't like how the PS3 tries to be more like a PC in ways. I hate mandatory installs. Give me the option and I'm fine with installs, but when you make me do something I don't want to do...I'm not going to like it. There is a reason we have PCs and consoles. I don't want some hybrid and I am happy that Sony never went along with their original idea of being able to upgrade the speed and power of the system. The best thing about consoles is that you don't have to do anything to the system. No matter what game comes out for the system you know it will work and it will work well (unless the developers suck lol). I don't know...it just really bugs me (if you couldn't tell already). Anyways it doesn't matter about the size or time it takes to download Siren: Blood Curse because of one simple reason. The game isn't any good from what I've played lol.
"

You were a little harsh in that preview I feel -- I do appreciate the demo was very short but you can't try to second guess the length of the game from the demo. That's unfair. Like I've said the first two episodes (of which the demo was built from) were VERY short but the third episode pitted me in two different, comparatively huge environments with a lot of toing and froing and stealth required.

I'll play through the next couple of episodes tonight and let you know on the length but like I said the developers are touting this as a20 hour adventure. I don't know how speculative they're being with the numbers but if the reaming 9 episodes are as long as the 3rd, I'd expect the game to be 12 hours minimum.
#23 Posted by Bawabus (34 posts) -

It's really good. You don't have to download all 9GB at once, the graphics are quite good, the lighting is used to good effect (i.e. showing the where to go in a chase sequence, highlighting something scary), the controls are fine, just a little responsive (now that I think about, it kind of adds to the tension of scary moments. When you jam on the control stick your character thrashes around just like you know... you would be if zombies were chasing you) and the story is good as always.


I just don't like some of the dialogue, a few too many F words and sometimes the voice actors miss. 

It's really good.
#24 Posted by MrMiyagi (929 posts) -

I'm still thinking about getting it... I'm really tempted.

#25 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -
Bawabus said:
"It's really good. You don't have to download all 9GB at once, the graphics are quite good, the lighting is used to good effect (i.e. showing the where to go in a chase sequence, highlighting something scary), the controls are fine, just a little responsive (now that I think about, it kind of adds to the tension of scary moments. When you jam on the control stick your character thrashes around just like you know... you would be if zombies were chasing you) and the story is good as always.

I just don't like some of the dialogue, a few too many F words and sometimes the voice actors miss. 

It's really good.
"
I agree with you there but I don't know whether to say that is considered somewhat of an excuse. But I do agree. The fact aiming is nigh on impossible represents that you are a dude, in a strange village, shooting zombies when you've never handled a gun before. I mean - you probably would miss right?
#26 Posted by epic_pets (1339 posts) -

Damn thats huge!

#27 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

The more I explore this game though, the cooler it gets. You unlock lots of little bits of archive footage as you play through the game and this one dudes student ID has a website address on it. I decided to type it in on the net not expecting a page to come up but look what I found - Howard Wrights (a chararacter from the game) blog:

http://hw-biker.blog-paradise.com/e/index.html

And looky at that - his last blog post was just before he went into the village. I love little things like this. Makes the game seem more real.

#28 Posted by tec3297 (1170 posts) -

That's one hell of a big game.

#29 Posted by FleaFive (20 posts) -

This has me really tempted! I think I might play through Condemned 2 first though for my horror fix.

#30 Posted by hyperslug (180 posts) -

Just play the first half  then :) the last bit isn't scary at all

#31 Posted by Bkorns4 (129 posts) -

I'm downloading the full game now, can't wait!

#32 Posted by Buttmonk3y (125 posts) -

Im on Episode 3 atm (Just past the tutorial stuff) really enjoying it... Really atmospheric and kinda freaky too. Welll worth the £20 so far i think.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.