Seriously...what happened to 6 days in Fallujah?

Posted by Yehaw4Jihad (13 posts) -

As a member of the military, I was extremely excited about this IP. Even though the FPS market is over saturated year after year, it was hard not to follow a game that was being made by guys who have actually fought in Iraq.

Last thing I heard about this game is that it was way too controversial for release.

I guess I'll go back to shooting civilians in an airport. Who would be offended by that right?

#1 Posted by Yehaw4Jihad (13 posts) -

As a member of the military, I was extremely excited about this IP. Even though the FPS market is over saturated year after year, it was hard not to follow a game that was being made by guys who have actually fought in Iraq.

Last thing I heard about this game is that it was way too controversial for release.

I guess I'll go back to shooting civilians in an airport. Who would be offended by that right?

#2 Posted by SgtSphynx (1572 posts) -

Damn, I forgot about that game, though, TBH, since I was in Iraq, I'd rather not relive it, but it was still an interesting idea.

#3 Edited by sparks50 (373 posts) -

If you seriously want an infantry simulation, Arma 2 would probably be a better bet. Lots of active and former service members playing it in clans like Shack tactical etc.

#4 Posted by supercubedude (459 posts) -

After it got cancelled, they took the technology and made this gem.

#5 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4899 posts) -

@Yehaw4Jihad: No publisher would touch 6 Days because of the nature of its content. It aimed to be a very true, very real account of what happened. They were using real soldiers' names and they were reconstructing the battle from eyewitness accounts. Military who served there, as well as... "other" sources.

I think the latter is why shit went south. It wasn't so much "THEY ARE EXPLOITING OUR SERVICEMEN AND WOMEN" so much as "they (allegedly) talked to insurgents!" Whether it was true or not, I don't think anyone ever said. All it took was the outcry from mass media outlets to make Konami (I believe that was their publisher) back off from the whole thing. Without continued support from a publisher, the studio (Atomic Games) was forced to scrap the project. Taking what they could and making a terrible game called Breach.

I personally don't think 6 Days in Fallujah was going to be any good, but as far as pushing the medium forward and tackling heavy subject material? It could have done nothing but good. Either as a guide to how to tackle sensitive materials, or on how not to do it.

#6 Edited by Yehaw4Jihad (13 posts) -

lol @ "this gem" link.

but yea whether it was going to be a blockbuster or not I still think it deserved the chance of release.

I remember watching the news of a mother who's son was killed in Fallujah being interviewed (source?). She described this terrible scenario where her son was played by a teenage boy, who with his friends all laughed when his character (the aforementioned son) got killed. She also went on to explain how ther son would be rolling in his grave if he knew this game was being developed. I dont know about you guys, but first of all I call bullshit on this entire interview for 2 reasons:

-When I get killed in a military shooter, I dont laugh. I either contemplate throwing my controller through the TV while stopping only to calculate the cost of repair and mellow out, or I imagine strangling the kid on the other side of that gun.

-If a dev came to me and said "we know you have tours in (insert shitty country here), would you be interested in helping us make this game about you/your company/unit/etc...I would be ecstatic.

With all due respect to the mother who has to live with the loss of her son, and a pain I never have, and never hope to feel, the whole interview seemed to just have missed the entire point of why this game was being made.

Sad day for military shooters aiming at realism.

#7 Edited by sparks50 (373 posts) -

I think that if they genuinely wanted to "move gaming forward" or whatever as a more serious art form, they could have easily just have called it Derkastan and it wouldn't have been controversial at all. They could have still made something that is miles away from the generic COD shooter.

In the end, names do not matter when you want to tell a story.

#8 Posted by dabe (299 posts) -

@KingWilly said:

@Yehaw4Jihad:

I personally don't think 6 Days in Fallujah was going to be any good, but as far as pushing the medium forward and tackling heavy subject material? It could have done nothing but good. Either as a guide to how to tackle sensitive materials, or on how not to do it.

Totally agree. Shame gaming is still in the fluctuating transitive state between childs toy and immature empowerment fantasies...

Also, Breach was not engaging.

#9 Posted by imsh_pl (3314 posts) -

The publisher chickened out and canceled the game.

#10 Posted by biggiedubs (497 posts) -

Well, 'chickened out' might be a bit harsh. It was over all of the news, and also at a time in the Iraq war where a big focus was placed on the soldiers on the front line, especially with (over here in the UK at least) every soldiers death time being spent on the news explaining who they were, what regiment etc etc. It placed a big focus on individuals being mourned, and so with an entire game of individuals who had died in the line of duty they would be under immense pressure from the families and friends of those who weren't okay with it.

Konami, the original publisher, wasn't comfortable with betting that the game would still turn a profit after all of the public outcry, simply because it wasn't a 'big' title, and it could probably expect sales to be done simply because it was badmouthed on national television. Doesn't matter if it was right or wrong, it still happened and it will influence retail stores and potential buyers. Games cost too much to take that much of a chance.

If / when games are finally accepted by the mainstream population, which could take 10/20/30/60 years for it to happen, then maybe chances on controversial games like that can be made and appreciated. But until then, and as much as it pains me to say it, its not realistically possible. Its happened before, and will continue to.

http://gnews.com/nazi-killing-mod-blasted-for-showing-holocaust-victims-16201024122013/

#11 Posted by MikeinSC (910 posts) -

@Yehaw4Jihad said:

If Breach is an indication of the level of quality --- man, it was a mercy killing.

#12 Edited by mlarrabee (3064 posts) -

I honestly don't think it would have sold well.

Either it would be softened enough that players would complain about the "realism" being overhyped, or they actually manage to make it intense enough that players don't want to play.

"War is delightful to those who have had no experience of it." As someone who believes that war is sometimes a terrible necessity, I think most people (not just Fox News) would be horrified to actually see it. Just watch the player reactions to Amnesia. It's a great game, but with a fictional story and only decent graphics. Everyone would find out that they really don't want to experience a realistic war, even from an armchair.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.