Skate 3: EA's biggest dick move

#1 Posted by EVO (3942 posts) -

EA has pulled a lot of shit over the years, but the way they handled Skate 3, in particular the multiplayer, may just be their biggest dick move yet.

Going back to the original Skate, anyone familiar with the local multiplayer knows it's not great. Of the two modes available, only one is worth playing: Spot Battle. However, Spot Battle isn't without its problems. The time you're given is far too short. Now for someone like myself who often played Skate with 3 other people, this was ok because any longer than 30 seconds per player and the wait between turns would be long. An option to set it to our liking would've been nice, though. Shit, GoldenEye did it. Surely they fixed this in Skate 2, right?

Wrong.

EA fixed nothing. Nonetheless, despite the limited options and buggy physics, Skate 2 once again became my go-to game when I had friends over. Now surely, surely, Skate 3 is different.

Correct.

Skate 3 doesn't even have local multiplayer. Or shall I say, it didn't have local multiplayer. A few months after Skate 3's release came the San Van Party Pack aka local multiplayer. Yes, EA had the balls to charge us for a feature which had been free in the previous games, and should've been in Skate 3 all along. What a fucking insult, I thought, but I bought it hoping that maybe they'd actually fixed some of the issues. Believe it or not, they somehow made it worse. Not only is the option to set a user-defined time limit still absent, the actually act of playing multiplayer is now a chore. For starters, you have to use one controller. This means having to pass the controller back and forth between friends. Also, there's no picture to accompany each spot in the menu, so choosing one is a bit of a lucky dip. That is unless you're familiar with all the names, which I'll never be, since I'd rather just play Skate 2 instead.

#2 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

EA's had worse

#3 Posted by EVO (3942 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

EA's had worse

As in?

#4 Posted by Hosstile17 (769 posts) -

They did the same thing with Burnout Paradise.

#5 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

For one thing, they took away the ability to redeem the midnight show for The Saboter >=(

Actually in seriousness, just look at Theme Park for ios. You can unlock everything by playing the game, or you can pay 60 US dollars to unlock just one single attraction ride for your virtual theme park.

#6 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2778 posts) -

you can't spell beatch without EA

#7 Posted by Drebin_893 (2934 posts) -

Skate was the fucking shit.

#8 Edited by Rittsy (79 posts) -

First world problems. Next time read some reviews and check/ask questions in forums before you buy the game/DLC.

#9 Posted by AlexW00d (6449 posts) -

@Drebin_893 said:

I never played any of the multiplayer so this is my answer.

#10 Posted by MildMolasses (3229 posts) -

Am I the only one who thinks it's odd to be this outraged over a game that cameout two years ago? Surely EA has done something worse, much more recently

#11 Posted by HatKing (6124 posts) -

I hate to be a dick, but it's kind of funny reading this post, written as though Skate 3 came out this year or something.

#12 Posted by EVO (3942 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@Drebin_893 said:

I never played any of the multiplayer so this is my answer.

Don't get me wrong, I love Skate as much as the next guy, but I'll take 's advice next time and check the back of the box before I buy Skate 4.

#13 Posted by EVO (3942 posts) -

@MildMolasses said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's odd to be this outraged over a game that cameout two years ago? Surely EA has done something worse, much more recently

@HatKing said:

I hate to be a dick, but it's kind of funny reading this post, written as though Skate 3 came out this year or something.

It's been brewing inside me for some time now.

#14 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (850 posts) -

Old news is old.

#15 Posted by StrainedEyes (1335 posts) -

I do wish Skate 3 had been better, it felt so shallow compared to 2.

#17 Posted by Grissefar (2830 posts) -

It's what happens when they force a to begin with not too great developer such as Blackbox to shit out a sequel in 8 months. You would think they had learned from Activision.

#18 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

@Hosstile17 said:

They did the same thing with Burnout Paradise.

Burnout Paradise has local multiplayer now? If it does, I'm buying it again!

#19 Posted by david3cm (636 posts) -

What you should really be outraged about is the fact you cant do flatground 360s.

#20 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@EVO: Yeah, well...let the Pixies cheer you the fuck up.

Works for me, if it weren't for these guys and The Doors i probably would have hanged myself a long time ago.

#21 Posted by EVO (3942 posts) -

@david3cm said:

What you should really be outraged about is the fact you cant do flatground 360s.

Yeah you can. Hold the right joystick in the direction you're turning.

#22 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1542 posts) -

Yeah, I didn't put in nearly as much time into Skate 3 as I did with Skate 2. They didn't really improve much (besides being able to disable Hall of Meat) and made it a lot more goofy akin to Tony Hawk. Skate 3 even looks worse than Skate 2. It's running at a lower resolution and they added some kind of blur filter to it.

#23 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Skate 3 was so disappointing. The city was not nearly as good as San Vanelona and it also seemed to lacked the personality of 2.

#24 Posted by JasonR86 (9729 posts) -

Hey did you guys know EA is supposed to really suck?

#25 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

Yeah, I didn't put in nearly as much time into Skate 3 as I did with Skate 2. They didn't really improve much (besides being able to disable Hall of Meat) and made it a lot more goofy akin to Tony Hawk. Skate 3 even looks worse than Skate 2. It's running at a lower resolution and they added some kind of blur filter to it.

I might be mistaken, but I think you can turn that filter off in the menu somewhere.

I'm in the same boat as most people here, I loved Skate 2 but found Skate 3 to be a little disappointing.

#26 Posted by david3cm (636 posts) -

@EVO: After spending close to one hundred hours with this game, and having just checked right before this comment to make sure I was correct, I can tell you you cannot preform a 360 on flatground, at least not with the same ease you can in the first to games. It is possible, but I am just disappointed in the slower rotation speed in this game compared to the first 2.

#27 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

@Rittsy said:

First world problems. Next time read some reviews and check/ask questions in forums before you buy the game/DLC.

herrr dururrr let's never express our opinions or dissatisfaction with ANYTHING because after all, some people have bigger problems! rheherehrer

#28 Posted by Zippedbinders (1039 posts) -

I still have a hard time believe any Skate game is any good. I played demos for each of them, and they all felt like garbage. Its like the later day Tony Hawk games were so bad, everyone thought Skate looked better by comparison.

#29 Posted by Rittsy (79 posts) -

@Pinworm45: Well I did provide a solution to his problem. Best way to stop yourself from being upset by a game is to wait and see. You can express an opinion, but when your opinion is "X is terrible but I bought it anyway because I didn't look at what I was buying and I'm disappointed with it" don't expect sympathy.

#30 Posted by Brodehouse (10138 posts) -

Stake 3 was pretty good though. Vampire killing simulator.

#31 Posted by EVO (3942 posts) -

@Rittsy said:

@Pinworm45: Well I did provide a solution to his problem. Best way to stop yourself from being upset by a game is to wait and see. You can express an opinion, but when your opinion is "X is terrible but I bought it anyway because I didn't look at what I was buying and I'm disappointed with it" don't expect sympathy.

I don't expect sympathy. I expect a feature that is available in the previous games, for free, out of the box. You honestly think I should've looked to see if they'd removed it? I mean, some things you just take for granted. Let's say there's a new Star Wars. I'm not gonna read reviews to make sure there's lightsabers in it, I've just come to expect they'll be there.

#32 Posted by FritzDude (2273 posts) -

This is pretty much what I know about the game:

#33 Posted by Rittsy (79 posts) -

@EVO: You would have been really disappointed with Tie Fighter and Dark Forces. I stand by my point, check reviews and forums before you commit to buying the game/DLC to avoid situations like this. Unless they promise it on the back of the box, don't assume it will be there,

#34 Posted by darkfrnklyn (1 posts) -

hey EVO,

you´re absolutly right. Somebody at EA killed a great sport franchise. Had this game laying around for months now, I forgot why, since my memories about the second title wasnt that bad.. As I had some friends over I remebered again. The lack of the lokal Multiplayer is not just only a fail, it s*****Ks soo majorish! The lack of this mode makes the game completly useless, at least for people who have real world friends. THPS got so big in the first place having some people sit around, cheering and trying to compete eachothers highscores. How could even somebody at EA think about not to implement this into S3 is a total mystery to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.