Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Skate 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released May 11, 2010

Skate 3 features a cooperative career mode, new tricks, a robust set of community features, and a suite of creation tools for logos, films, and skate parks.

Skate 4. Let's start talking about it.

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By DevWil

So I just wrote a review for Skate 3.  I don't think it's my best review at all, but I do think that I raise a very important point about the Skate franchise and its direction: 

Do you really want to play through a story/career in Skate 4?  I don't!  I was dreading playing through all of the challenges in Skate 3 before the game showed up.  I pre-ordered it because I wanted a new city to skate; I played through the challenges to unlock stuff and get achievements. 

Get x amount of points at a spot.  Win a few contests.  Yawn.

Why is the Skate series cool?  I don't want to speak for everyone, but I think it's because of the ability to create clips of the things you've found to do in the city.  Social, emergent gameplay.  What game does it better?  What the hell does a single-player campaign have to do with that? 

I think Skate 4 should be a new city with the existing skate.reel functionality.  That's it.  They can add some mechanical improvements (like the ability to do a realistic-looking flip to grab trick) and a tutorial for total newbs, but the challenges just feel like a waste of time to me.  Just give me a sandbox and a venue to show off what I've thought up to do in it.  Make the game $40 and sell space on the Skate site for people who want to have a lot of clips online (but don't want to go through the process and re-compression of downloading clips and putting them on YouTube).  They can even do what they did with Skate 3 and charge for high-quality footage.  Just don't waste everyone's time with a stupid story.

Anybody agree?

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By CastroCasper

I think the whole Skate series is cool because it is more realistic. I mean there are a lot of things that still make it a video game, but when you finally land that 360 flip over a bench, to hippy jump over rail, to tuck knee over the gap, it is pretty sweet. I honestly don't think there were enough challenges, I finished most the first day. What I would love to see is all of those Thrasher photos and such actually meaning something in the end. For example after you finish the all of the Thrasher shoots they should so some sort of special on you, or a highlight of all the pictures you took. Right know you can take a horrible picture that is underexposed with your skater not even in the frame, and it will accept it like it was a triple kickflip 540. So I guess I kind of agree that challenges are pointless, but if they had some sort of reward besides board sales and unlocking skaters, they might be a lot cooler. I am just sick of all these games coming out where you need to depend on another person with the game. I still don't have the team achievements because I created my own team, instead of joining some random one, on the GB one which is probably already full.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Ineedaname

I disagree, I went through those challenges with a friend using the online co-op and that's where that game has the fun for me, all of the other stuff it has I've never touched, I've never made a video because I don't care, I just want to skate, and the only way I'll do that and use the best spots is through the challenges.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By EVO
    @DevWil said:
    " Get x amount of points at a spot.  Win a few contests.  Yawn. "
    The best challenges are those that require a specific trick or line, and I think Skate 3 improved on this a lot.

I think the next logical step for the series is adding rain and improving surfaces I.E. asphalt, concrete, bricks, wood, metal etc. At the moment there is little difference between skating on these other than a subtle rumble in your controller. I wanna be able to be able to skitch a car in the rain then powerslide at 60km/h along a wet marble footbath. I wanna have to seek shelter when it's pouring down and build ghetto spots til the rain ceases, maybe even with other people online. Like, they could intergrate a global weather system and make it kinda like an MMO, with dozens of skaters building spots together. Also, you should be able to climb fences and shit.
    McSmunions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By McSmunions

yea i really liked the specific trick challenges as well. killing challenges was great, if not super frustrating at times. my hope for the next skate is a day/night cycle.

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DevWil
    @McSmunions said:
    "my hope for the next skate is a day/night cycle. "
    yes, yes, a thousand times yes.  this totally slipped my mind when writing about the game. 

so much skateboarding footage is captured at night and the look of a halogen light harshly illuminating a hubba is a classic skateboarding image.
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Systech

Alright.  

Sk4Te.

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DevWil
    @systech said:
    " Alright.   Sk4Te. "
    i think it should be Skat4 just to fuck with everyone.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman

The biggest reason I have been turned away from Skate 3 is it's lack of a story, so I gotta disagree. Jeff even said on TNT that if you aren't really into doing online challenges and stuff, than Skate 2 is "kinda a better game". I do not like the direction the Black Box guys have gone, not one bit.

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DevWil
    @JJWeatherman:  
    Skate 2 undoubtedly has a better story/career.  (edit: in terms of narrative, some of the challenges were wonky as hell)

my point is that there's nowhere left to go in terms of narrative, so don't try to force it into the game.  just release a cheaper game that doesn't have a story or challenges: a big sandbox (which, as i say in my review, is what the game excels at anyways).  the Skate franchise has the best emergent gameplay of any title i'm aware of and the developers should just embrace that and stop trying to tell the player what to do.
    CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CastroCasper
    @DevWil: What if they just did a few big downloadable packs? New areas to skate with just a few story elements would be alright. Skate 3 seems like there is a lot more to do then in Skate 2 so I am not sure if I want a new full blown game that soon.
    DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DevWil
    @kurtdyoung:  
    like i said, i am totally over story in this franchise.  i think it's pointless and has no room left. 

i'm sure they'll do some DLC like they did with the second game.  i'm just saying skate 4 should just be a new city with no challenges, as my opinion is that the challenges just aren't fun and they feel unnecessary for skate to be a successful piece of software.
    DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DevWil
    @kurtdyoung:  
    like i said, i am totally over story in this franchise.  i think it's pointless and has no room left. 

i'm sure they'll do some DLC like they did with the second game.  i'm just saying skate 4 should just be a new city with no challenges, as my opinion is that the challenges just aren't fun and they feel unnecessary for skate to be a successful piece of software.
    McSmunions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By McSmunions

i think you need those challenges just to have some sort of progression and something to complete. i hear you about the stories being so flimsy that they're pointless but i'd rather have some nonsense story mode to give me challenges then just free skating. to the core fans that have bought all the games and the filmer packs (i actually didn't get the pack) the main draw is new environments to make videos. but that shit does get boring, and challenges spice it up while also just showing you new spots. 

and about weather in skate 4, i'm not sure you could do much with it. i'd like to see water in fountains not be instant death, you could pull off some cool powerslides and stuff. but a rainy day making everything harder to skate would just be frustrating in my opinion.

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
    OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By OutOfBounds9000
    @DevWil said:
    " @systech said:
    " Alright.   Sk4Te. "
    i think it should be Skat4 just to fuck with everyone. "
    Or Skat34 

Thats just wrong,dude.
    Joker369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Joker369

I think that skate 3 is the definitive skating game and would much rather see dlc for it than a skate 4

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By EVO
    @Joker369 said:
    " I think that skate 3 is the definitive skating game and would much rather see dlc for it than a skate 4 "
    Definitive? It doesn't even have local multiplayer.
    Disengage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Disengage
    @EVO said:
    " @Joker369 said:
    " I think that skate 3 is the definitive skating game and would much rather see dlc for it than a skate 4 "
    Definitive? It doesn't even have local multiplayer. "
    Tell your friends to stop being cheap asses and buy a 360.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.