Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Skullgirls

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Apr 10, 2012

Take control of fierce female warriors in a 1940s dark Deco world in this stylish indie fighting game developed by (and for) hardcore fighting game enthusiasts.

Man... so many missteps... My experiences with SkullGirls

• 123 results
    Ett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Ett

@MikkaQ said:

Well so much for being the fighting game that was going to make real fighters out of scrubs... Sounds like yet another venue for the skilled fighters to kick everyone's asses while the unskilled don't learn anything.

Scrub is a scrub because he/she doesn't learn. As for beginners who want too put time in the game and learn and think about what they have learned its a good game. Tutorial is awesome for new players it learns the newcomer about poking, hit confirming , mix up , high low mix ups etc.

But don't expect too be pro level player after finishing the tutorial. Experience and match up knowledge are also a big part of being a real fighter and that is only learned by playing the game.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By TentPole

@Axelhander said:

If you're playing games mostly for the extras, hey do what you love, but I posit you're perhaps missing the point of games.

@Animasta said:

@Axelhander: Sorry dude SSBB is not the worst game this gen, are you out of your fucking mind?

I explained why. Please read my posts if you're actually interested. I suspect you're not.

I read all of your self-aggrandizing and pretentious posts and will still say you are crazy if you think SSBB is the worst game this gen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'm going by this topic as to whether or not I should purchase this, and it's actually the arguments of its supporters that are telling me to not get involved. I'm at a Jeff-level of sub-intermediate skill, and the descriptions of 'learning' here sound like punishment for shoplifting in some countries.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By killacam

well this thread went downhill.. fun game, lots to learn

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By mesoian

@TentPole said:

@Axelhander said:

If you're playing games mostly for the extras, hey do what you love, but I posit you're perhaps missing the point of games.

@Animasta said:

@Axelhander: Sorry dude SSBB is not the worst game this gen, are you out of your fucking mind?

I explained why. Please read my posts if you're actually interested. I suspect you're not.

I read all of your self-aggrandizing and pretentious posts and will still say you are crazy if you think SSBB is the worst game this gen.

It's not. It's just non-traditional in a way that makes high level play non-existant, similar to the Naruto games that came out this generation. I think that's where people are getting caught up. SSMB has balance issues out the ying yang in almost every facit of content, but that doesn't matter because it was never made for the hardcore scene to begin with. It's fun to play, but at the end of the day, the moment any one decides to get serious about it, you're banning characters and at least 3/4ths of the stages. There's a reason why that old meme was a meme.

That video is best watched muted BTW.

A lot of people need to give this game a little more credit. The people who seem to be chastising this game the most are the same people who don't understand what up down/ left right mixups are. A lot of heresy and guffawing based on what other people are telling them and not what this game actually has. This game WILL teach you how to do things that apply to all fighting games, if you make it through the tutorial, which I assume the same people who are complaining will not have the patience to do. Play the game, the demo's out for both systems, PC later this year.

Honestly, a missing move list being people's big complaint...it's silly. The more valid criticism is the missing button imput indicators, especially since timing in this game is a little unique, but the haters can't even see past the thing that doesn't matter to the thing that does. And even then, all that stuff is getting patched in next month. And even THEEEEEN, the people who are complaining about that stuff missing now are the ones who will use it as an excuse down the line as to why they're getting left in the dust by allowing a months worth of labtime go by because "Hurf durf, no command menu that I would have looked at once for 10 minutes then never touched again." Silly.

I played all night last night with SRK's wiki on my phone which has infinitely more information on the game than could have ever been reasonably conveyed in a simple move list. Came up with some good strategies, had a blast.

Sometimes I wonder when people will stop making excuses on why they won't play and just play. It's the FEZ argument all over again. I wonder how many people will keep up this boycott now that it's getting 9's and 10's and every reviewer I've seen (including Ryan) have said that it's amazing. BUT DON'T MESS WITH THAT GAME GUYS BECAUSE PHIL FISH WAS A DICK ONCE!

Play the god damn games.

Axelhander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Axelhander

@Ett said:

Scrub is a scrub because he/she doesn't learn. As for beginners who want too put time in the game and learn and think about what they have learned its a good game. Tutorial is awesome for new players it learns the newcomer about poking, hit confirming , mix up , high low mix ups etc.

But don't expect too be pro level player after finishing the tutorial. Experience and match up knowledge are also a big part of being a real fighter and that is only learned by playing the game.

Well said. A scrub isn't someone new at a game. A scrub is someone who cries "throws are cheap" or "man dashing is cheap I really wish it occasionally made you trip." A scrub is someone who plays with made up rules in his head (e.g., "no hitting while dizzy") and talks nonsense about notions of "honor."

Playing the game against people is the best learning tool, and you won't get that in single player, as competitive fighters aren't primarily single player affairs. Even then, the AI in Skullgirls is trying to teach you how to approach specific situations. Consider it a training tool.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By Ravenlight

Man, here I thought anime was for jerks. It's got nothing on fighting games.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

I'm so monumentally confused by people's idea of what a fighting game is and what the games really require.

I said this in another thread, but, does a casual player really want to know how to perform specific moves and supers? No, not really. I'm talking mad casual. Does the person that wants to get into fighting games and doesn't know anything about places like SRK, TZ, 8WR, etc. want to learn shit? Yeah, and they'll go to gamefaqs, GB, or their friends and guess where they will point them? To those FG sites. Anyone with a brain who is already familiar with any 2D fighting game will know what to look for in the commands (QC, DP, HC, command normals, 270-360's, etc). People that don't do that are either A) lazy or B) are such a minority (the gamer without internet playing SG doesn't exist, obv) that it doesn't matter what they say.

People don't want to think, and the backlash to something as acutely useful as a movelist in a competitive fighting game is astonishing. Hell, the most casual of my friends understand what I mean when say QCF(x2)+PPP or "DP!". Fuck man, we're at a technological point where the lack of knowledge can be overcome with a little research, and a little less whining. Nobody cries about move lists in arcades, even at a casual level.

Complaining about single player stuff is, honestly, something a fighting game developer should worry about the least. Hell, I know the Project Soul guys are pretty good at the story bits, but their team is (more than likely) gigantic in comparison to Reverge. I'm not trying to be a pretentious ass, but when the developer lead is a competitive player talking about the "tournament worthiness" of his game you have to be prepared for what they're trying to make. There was never any doubt that this game is meant for high level play, and they never said anything otherwise. I personally don't understand why someone would play SF or MvC for the storyline when games with great stories exist for the purpose of telling those stories, but it is what it is.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#59  Edited By Jaktajj

Having just tried this game, I can confirm that this game is absolutely fucking amazing. The inputs are so easy, you don't really need a movelist.

indiefinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By indiefinch

Man this thread derailed quickly... As far as Skullgirls go, I am loving it so far. The only valid complaint I have seen anyone have is the lack of move-list, however just jump into training mode with a character for 15 min and you will easily learn which moves they have. The tutorial was all around amazing, it alone justifies the purchase imo. As far as the difficulty complaints, it seems pretty spot on. Normal seems based around you already having the full tutorial completed, which once you can master those last few chapters the AI seems a whole lot easier.

I was expecting this to be built from the ground up as a tournament ready fighter, which I think it has fully achieved. People looking for a mindless button masher are probably better off going somewhere else, but the people who want to actually learn fighting games and get competitive with it, then Skullgirls is where it is at.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By Animasta

@Ravenlight said:

dude have you seen the comments on fighting game QL's? it's terrible

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By JJOR64

@Animasta said:

@Ravenlight said:

Yeah, they do get pretty bad. All the fighting game elitists from SRK and EventHubs usually shit all over the videos. When the UMVC3 Quick Look came out on YouTube, there were tons and tons of negative comments like 'WHY DO THESE SCRUBS GET THE GAME BEFORE WE DO" and stuff like that.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63  Edited By Detrian

This thread sure is full of long chunks of text defending a poorly thought out product so let's make a list instead!

-Shitty training mode? Check.

-No move lists? Check.

-Hilariously bad difficulty curve? Check.

-Limited multiplayer lobbies? Check.

-Shitty translations for non-english language? Check.

-Gimmicky art direction? Check.

-Awful load times? Check.

-Poorly planned features like letting you fight with one character when assists are huge and an overzealous infinite protection? Check.

Yeah that sure looks like a good product.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By supamon

Man.. the people in this thread are beyond bewildering for so many reasons. Instead of complaining about being unable to beat the A.I. on normal here why don't they just go and practice on the game? It's a new fighting game, some skill is required even on a casual level. If you couldn't even play on normal then you're probably not as good as you thought you were eh?

As for me I just tried the game, the animation is great and it's pretty fun! As a casual/below average player of fighting games I find it very responsive, easy to pick up and the lack of a move list did not deter me from enjoying it.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ichthy

@supamon said:

Man.. the people in this thread are beyond bewildering for so many reasons. Instead of complaining about being unable to beat the A.I. on normal here why don't they just go and practice on the game? It's a new fighting game, some skill is required even on a casual level. If you couldn't even play on normal then you're probably not as good as you thought you were eh?

As for me I just tried the game, the animation is great and it's pretty fun! As a casual/below average player of fighting games I find it very responsive, easy to pick up and the lack of a move list did not deter me from enjoying it.

Because that would take effort, and bitching about the game itself on the internet is easier.

Maurdakar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Maurdakar

Just wrote mah review of Skullgirls. Check it out? Also, the move list is on the internet, which kinda sucks, but their simple moves. Also you get the game from the internet, sooooo...

For 15$? From a small studio?

Ya this game is fun to play. *Reads all the troll comments* Oh Hi internet, I didn't see u thar...

Axelhander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Axelhander

@Detrian said:

This thread sure is full of long chunks of text defending a poorly thought out product so let's make a list instead!

-Shitty training mode? Check, even though I couldn't defend this claim if my life depended on it.

-No move lists? Check, even though this criticism has been thoroughly explained numerous times, but I'm too high up on this soapbox to care.

-Hilariously bad difficulty curve? Check, because I seem to think "check" means "100% wrong."

-Limited multiplayer lobbies? Check. Hey, a stopped clock is right twice a day.

-Shitty translations for non-english language? Check. And that would be the "twice a day part."

-Gimmicky art direction? Check, because I could totally explain why it's "gimmicky" without sounding like I pulled this out of my ass.

-Awful load times? Check, because several seconds is "awful."

-Poorly planned features like letting you fight with one character when assists are huge and an overzealous infinite protection? Check, because, again, couldn't defend this claim if I desperately needed to.

Fixed. It's really easy to sound like you know what you're talking about when you don't know what you're talking about; it's much harder to actually know what you're talking about. Though hey, by all means, do back up all except the two valid concerns you brought up with reasons a fourth grader couldn't tear to shreds. I'd be interested in hearing them.

Maurdakar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Maurdakar

The OP really set the tone for this thread. One point that has no validity due to it being a complaint about difficulty and 2 points which were abjectly wrong, pausing and not available chars. Those chars are just unlockable in story mode twit.

Bummer bout the move lists, at least their simple and accessible, AMG I HAZ BIN INCUNVIENCED BAD GAME. 0/5 Play S F Scrub.

Don't feed trolls like Detrian Axel. Go look at his history of posts on his page, or his lists. Just let the guy work out his net-motions in peace.

UnskilledNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By UnskilledNinja

@Detrian said:

-Shitty training mode? Check.[/quote]

I don't know, I like the option of being able to see my hitboxes and hitstun. It is annoying how there's no "automatic infinite burst" or other AI behavior, but the training mode is great for combos.

I'd rate it above-average, since hitstun indicators are godsends.

Axelhander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Axelhander

@Maurdakar said:

The OP really set the tone for this thread. One point that has no validity due to it being a complaint about difficulty and 2 points which were abjectly wrong, pausing and not available chars. Those chars are just unlockable in story mode twit.

Bummer bout the move lists, at least their simple and accessible, AMG I HAZ BIN INCUNVIENCED BAD GAME. 0/5 Play S F Scrub.

Don't feed trolls like Detrian Axel. Go look at his history of posts on his page, or his lists. Just let the guy work out his net-motions in peace.

Noted with thanks.

Skogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Skogen

The option to turn on a hitstun indicator is fucking amazing, and viewable hitboxes only sweeten the deal. The game is super solid all around.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Detrian

@Axelhander said:

@Detrian said:

-Shitty training mode? Check, even though I couldn't defend this claim if my life depended on it.

-No move lists? Check, even though this criticism has been thoroughly explained numerous times, but I'm too high up on this soapbox to care.

-Hilariously bad difficulty curve? Check, because I seem to think "check" means "100% wrong."

-Limited multiplayer lobbies? Check. Hey, a stopped clock is right twice a day.

-Shitty translations for non-english language? Check. And that would be the "twice a day part."

-Gimmicky art direction? Check, because I could totally explain why it's "gimmicky" without sounding like I pulled this out of my ass.

-Awful load times? Check, because several seconds is "awful."

-Poorly planned features like letting you fight with one character when assists are huge and an overzealous infinite protection? Check, because, again, couldn't defend this claim if I desperately needed to.

Fixed. It's really easy to sound like you know what you're talking about when you don't know what you're talking about; it's much harder to actually know what you're talking about. Though hey, by all means, do back up all except the two valid concerns you brought up with reasons a fourth grader couldn't tear to shreds. I'd be interested in hearing them.

Oh with pleasure!

- Shitty training that doesn't show your input OR with any settings for the training dummy, you know, things that actually help you train moves instead of just flailing around.

- No move lists, something that people seem to think is no big deal except normal people don't want to check a printout or a laptop to see what they are doing.

- Ms. Fortune is a harder fight than many many many other characters so there's your retarded difficulty curve.

- Art direction more like ASSES AND TITTIES YALLS! VIDEOGAME REFERENCES! ANIME UP THE ASS!

- Load times? Why yes people are suffering long load times at random on both PS3 and 360 but I guess you don't know that (cause you are in denial).

- And shitty features? Why the infinite combo protection doesn't let you use moves more than once and fighting with a single character is shit because having the assists from your team is hugely important.

There. Do you have any other brilliant points I can prove wrong or is the air too thin to think up there on your high horse?

Axelhander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Axelhander

@Animasta said:

@Ravenlight said:

Yes, but probably not for the reason you're thinking. They're terrible because people don't know what they're talking about but post uneducated opinions. Go look at the comments for the various GB SG videos, and you'll find people calling the game an "anime knockoff" despite its art style very clearly drawing from a ton of influences -- including loads of American animation styles -- talking nonsense about how Mike Z presented himself, etc.

Calling out said stupidity doesn't make one a jerk.

Anywho, this thread is useless, and thankfully more folks are seeing exactly that. Good on that. Back to the game.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#74  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Axelhander said:

Should there have been in-game move lists? Yes. Does the absence of this feature really take away from the damn solid fighting engine? Not even slightly. What laziness, to seriously not be able to look up a flippin' move list. Especially in a competitive fighter with super-solid netcode, where one might be expected to -- gasp -- seek out community-fed strategy and tactics. *The horror.*

Today's gamer seriously disappoints this dude whose first game was Berserk on Atari 2600. We've come a long way... at being lazy and complaining before applying thought. For shame.

1.) To be absolutely fair games should not require supplementary material outside of the game in 2012. Films don;t require you to read a book, books don't require you to watch a film, music doesn't require you to play a video game, games shouldn't require anything outside of the actual game to know what's going on. A move list should have been implemented day one so as not to inconvenience the player for when he/she wants to learn how to use a character in the game. Is it the worse thing in the world of fighting games, absolutely not but it still should have been there. Especially for a game that has been sold to people on the basis that this is a game meant to teach newcomers to the fighting game community. And then when the learn to play the game they can go on their training journey of meeting new people to increase their skill in the game.

2.) This isn't a statement on whether or not this game is bad or good, I'm just stating that a basic feature should be expected in the game. It's great that people are considered lazy for expecting a basic feature.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By mesoian

@Detrian: - Ms. Fortune is a harder fight than many many many other characters so there's your retarded difficulty curve.

This is actually your opinion, but it brings up a good point about this game's AI. It's super fuckin' good. I've been reading all over the internet that, while this game is competent, "I can defeat everyone with ease except for 'x'". That means it's not that the character itself, or rather the AI routines behind the character, are amazing, but it means that this game has the ability to find the darkspots in how you play and exploit them. For me personally, I have the most trouble in this game against Double due to her super cheesy Cable Style hyper confirms.

As for the rest of it:

The load times are a little crazy, but only for the 360. The PS3 version is pretty smooth and they never get so bad where it's unplayable. It's not like we're talking PSX levels of load, it's just 5 seconds at the longest.

What you got against ass and titty's dude?

And people are already finding their way around the infinite protection, you just need to work on your tech.

And as always, fuck Marie because that boss fight is stupid.

Axelhander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Axelhander

@SethPhotopoulos said:

1.) To be absolutely fair games should not require supplementary material outside of the game in 2012. Films don;t require you to read a book, books don't require you to watch a film, music doesn't require you to play a video game, games shouldn't require anything outside of the actual game to know what's going on. A move list should have been implemented day one so as not to inconvenience the player for when he/she wants to learn how to use a character in the game. Is it the worse thing in the world of fighting games, absolutely not but it still should have been there. Especially for a game that has been sold to people on the basis that this is a game meant to teach newcomers to the fighting game community. And then when the learn to play the game they can go on their training journey of meeting new people to increase their skill in the game.

2.) It's great that people are considered lazy for expecting a basic feature.

Fine, one more reply.

On 1, no joke, I get it. I even said so, many times, in this very thread, and in the post you quoted: the move list should have been there. It's just not the fatal flaw the OP and others are making it out to be.

On 2, no. One is not lazy for expecting a fighting game to include in-game move lists. One is lazy for equating this slight flaw with a full blown showstopper whilst failing to look up resources available to just about everyone with the capacity to download this game in the first place and where community resources are totally in-line with this kind of game (a competitive fighter). This type of game isn't a self-contained thing; it's inherently embracing of multiplayer and community.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#77  Edited By Hailinel

@JJOR64 said:

@Animasta said:

@Ravenlight said:

Yeah, they do get pretty bad. All the fighting game elitists from SRK and EventHubs usually shit all over the videos. When the UMVC3 Quick Look came out on YouTube, there were tons and tons of negative comments like 'WHY DO THESE SCRUBS GET THE GAME BEFORE WE DO" and stuff like that.

And this is really depressing, because even after they do this, these people are the ones that get hyper-defensive when the fighting game community is scrutinized by outsiders. They want to have their cake and eat it, as far as maintaining both their insular community while also having it widely accepted. It's bizarre.

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#78  Edited By drac96

I feel like Skullgirls was somehow misrepresented by trying to add a worthwhile tutorial.

It's a fighting game made by extreme fighting game fans. Almost every aspect of it is catered to people who love fighting games. Mike Z plays tournament level Blazblue. If you ever even listen to him talk about the features they added, they're all things that huge fighting game fans nerd out over. Some examples are holding start to pause (With a possibility of a patch making the playstation button do nothing in game), the ability to set up your buttons from the character select screen, and the infinite safeguard.

It's a shame that they had such few resources, because I think that Skullgirls could have actually been the game that taught people the skills needed to succeed in fighting games. I can understand why future DLC is contingent on sales, but things like a moves list that casual players would find useful doesn't make as much sense.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By OneManX

I find it funny peole get WAY TOO salty over the art style.... like have you seen Poison? or Mai? or Cammy? or any woman in DOA?

I know its a matter of taste, but some people are going over board, when there are way worst examples in fighting games alone.

breenmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By breenmachine

I'm not going to pretend that I know shit about fighting games beyond which characters in SF are which, but I really like Skullgirls. It's kicking my ass, sure, but I feel like this is something I could eventually get a handle on.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#81  Edited By sickVisionz

Difficulty is a good thing. I remember feeling that SF4 was brutally difficult (although it's definitely beatable on the easiest setting as long as you now ultra basic mechanics like how to block and a few special moves) but now it's one of my favorites.

Maybe there should be even more difficulty settings, but being really hard is a good thing in the long run, especially if it's a fair hard and not just like the AI does more damage, moves faster, and can link moves that would be unlinkable if a player chose that character. It's always funny to me that with like 20 years of data and experience of people playing Ryu in Street Fighter and how the same mechanics and tactics found in 2 are still relevant today, Capcom finds it impossible to code Ryu AI that does any of the basics that a mediocre Ryu player use online. If single player in Skullgirls is at times, as brutal as online and the AI uses similar tactics to what youd see online rather than babying you and leaving you nearly completely unprepared for online play, that's a really great thing.

CableCarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By CableCarrier

@OneManX said:

I find it funny peole get WAY TOO salty over the art style.... like have you seen Poison? or Mai? or Cammy? or any woman in DOA?

I know its a matter of taste, but some people are going over board, when there are way worst examples in fighting games alone.

This particular example doesn't get a pass because others might be worse. It's kind of a shame that the character design is as fanservice-y as it is, because I think the actual concepts for the characters are pretty rad. Dismembered cat-thief that fights with her head off? Circus performer that beats dudes up with a weird gorilla-hat-thing? Awesome! Boobs and panty-shots everywhere? Ehh....

I'm super stoked to play this game, but that whole aspect of the character design is hella off-putting, to the point of feeling a bit gross.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By OneManX

@CableCarrier said:

@OneManX said:

This particular example doesn't get a pass because others might be worse. It's kind of a shame that the character design is as fanservice-y as it is, because I think the actual concepts for the characters are pretty rad. Dismembered cat-thief that fights with her head off? Circus performer that beats dudes up with a weird gorilla-hat-thing? Awesome! Boobs and panty-shots everywhere? Ehh....

I'm super stoked to play this game, but that whole aspect of the character design is hella off-putting, to the point of feeling a bit gross.

I kinda like the pin-up vibe from the art and I liek the movie style presentation and it looks different from about everything else. But this game isn't about boobs and panties, b/c there is never a moment where it's like LOOK AT THE BOOBS~! It's just a part of their designed, they have 8 unique characters and none of them are really played up for the sexyness, except maybe Valentine and I think that character makes it work.

But as stated by someone else, once you play for liek an hour, you stop noticing everything and you are treating it like every other fighting game.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By scarace360

Guys the AI crumbles if you just do cross ups.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By soldierg654342

I literally have no idea why this game is so polarizing. It seems that people either despise it, or think it's the second fucking coming.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Phished0ne

....Yo guys, skullgirls is EASY. Try playing any fighter on a difficulty that isnt easiest. You need to be a tournament level player to beat the ai in a lot of fighters. It sucks, but the good thing is that other real players arent nearly as good as the AI. Go online, you'll get better. The 'locked' characters are only locked in story mode. You can play them in arcade mode or online. Dont be afraid to get blown up, just play online.

Also, stop being so salty over no move list. go to the shoryuken skullgirls wiki . It was up almost a full week before the game came out i think. Plus the website has full character guides you can download. Its not like they are hiding the movelists and combos from you. You just have to go get them.

@SoldierG654342 said:

I literally have no idea why this game is so polarizing. It seems that people either despise it, or think it's the second fucking coming.

Its polarizing because people are too scared to look past what they feel is overly-sexualized character design to see that is a good game. For people that are really into fighters its hard to explain all the stuff that makes it an amazing game. I actually saw some people calling the game 'sexist' which is asinine in my opinion.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Dan_CiTi

@Brodehouse said:

Hrm, maybe I'll forgo this one. I prefer games that are just about out-thinking the opponent and finding the right in... not about finding the right in and then juggling them up there for forty hits. I want to learn the metagame, the high-mid-low mind games, the whole rock-paper-scissors part of it... I don't want to have to learn to mash out twelve input dial-a-combos like a robot. Oh well, it is by some dudes who dig on that BlazBlue, I should've expected it to be hyper-technical.

No, it is like Darkstalkers with assists really. And BlazBlue is hyper technical? what?

Anyway, the game sounds like something for you, unless you can't stand airdashing.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Dan_CiTi

@Phished0ne: I am definitely not a tournament player and I can rip through the UMvC3, SF4, and SFxT on hardest. Sometimes Ogre has given me problems though.

@scarace360 said:

Guys the AI crumbles if you just do cross ups.

Marie doesn't even attack you in her second form if you just cross her up (with Valentine) constantly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Dan_CiTi said:

@Brodehouse said:

Hrm, maybe I'll forgo this one. I prefer games that are just about out-thinking the opponent and finding the right in... not about finding the right in and then juggling them up there for forty hits. I want to learn the metagame, the high-mid-low mind games, the whole rock-paper-scissors part of it... I don't want to have to learn to mash out twelve input dial-a-combos like a robot. Oh well, it is by some dudes who dig on that BlazBlue, I should've expected it to be hyper-technical.

No, it is like Darkstalkers with assists really. And BlazBlue is hyper technical? what?

Anyway, the game sounds like something for you, unless you can't stand airdashing.

I love airdashing. I just hate having to learn long combo strings into wallbounces into another combo string into an OTG assist into the first combo string.

I like bam-bam-bam, guy who got hit rolls away, either rush in at him or play range, try to think about what the other guy is going to do and get ready for it. I played a lot of MvC3, but I was always at a disadvantage against people who knew the combo strings. Even if I got in and got a first hit more often, I wasn't doing these huge strings. That's actually something I liked about Mortal Kombat... felt like it was more a chess game than a dial-a-combo thing.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Phished0ne

@Dan_CiTi: I guess i just suck more than i thought then, But fighting game AI gives me more trouble than real players do.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By mesoian

@Brodehouse said:

@Dan_CiTi said:

@Brodehouse said:

I love airdashing. I just hate having to learn long combo strings into wallbounces into another combo string into an OTG assist into the first combo string.

I like bam-bam-bam, guy who got hit rolls away, either rush in at him or play range, try to think about what the other guy is going to do and get ready for it. I played a lot of MvC3, but I was always at a disadvantage against people who knew the combo strings. Even if I got in and got a first hit more often, I wasn't doing these huge strings. That's actually something I liked about Mortal Kombat... felt like it was more a chess game than a dial-a-combo thing.

You're gonna love BigBand

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Dan_CiTi

@Brodehouse: Combos are just part of all fighting games. Execution is an element to fighting games, and execution is just making your character do what you want it to do when you want it to. And honestly, Skullgirls' combos can be more lengthy than Street Fighter, but if you don't like combos pick a non-combo centric character like Cerebella or Peacock. Skullgirls is not like MvC3 where it is focused on touch of deaths and XFactors and stuff. There are more resets and footsies.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By mesoian

On top of which, you're not forced to play any one specific way like other games. When it comes to marvel, there are only a few different tactics you can take with each character. There is a "Correct" way to play each one. Play "incorrectly" and you get dominated, which is why there's really only 10 viable characters in Marvel 3. With Skullgirls, you have the freedom to do whatever you need to. You can tailor your playstyle to any of the characters and make it work. I played last night against a Peacock who, rather than trying to do a fullscreen projectile lockdown, played a run away game using the air hp and hk as pokes, goading me towards the corner where he tried to do some high/low unblockables. Smart stuff, but I figured it out eventually and was about to get around it with my Valentine rushdown. That's why it's a little dissapointing that the training mode is so sparse, beacause I feel that, in this game especially, you need to be able to figure out what works and what doesn't. I had a great combo going against the computer while going through story mode that did not work online at all and had to figure out through combat why it wasn't working. But in doing so, I came up with 2 more variations of the combo.

I don't understand why people get so caught up in the artstyle because, after an hour, you're going to be spending all your time focusing on strategy then oggling boobs. It just seems like such a non-issue. Such a silly thing to get upset about.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Freshbandito

@Mesoian said:

I don't understand why people get so caught up in the artstyle because, after an hour, you're going to be spending all your time focusing on strategy then oggling boobs. It just seems like such a non-issue. Such a silly thing to get upset about.

That's the shittiest logic... Hey you don't like how it looks? don't worry because you'll be so busy thinking it will all blur into a misty watercolour seascape. Oh you find the art style degrading/offensive/offputing like Hailinel? relax, because, COMBOS! you'll be so busy comboing and thinking that no visual stimulus will enter your brainpan!

If people don't like an art style and visual look of a game they're not going to just ignore that because of the fact that if they get into it they'll be too busy going ahh yes, jump high kick then low kick not vice versa to throw the guy playing the pair of tits with a hat off his game.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By mesoian

@Freshbandito said:

@Mesoian said:

That's the shittiest logic... Hey you don't like how it looks? don't worry because you'll be so busy thinking it will all blur into a misty watercolour seascape. Oh you find the art style degrading/offensive/offputing like Hailinel? relax, because, COMBOS! you'll be so busy comboing and thinking that no visual stimulus will enter your brainpan!

If people don't like an art style and visual look of a game they're not going to just ignore that because of the fact that if they get into it they'll be too busy going ahh yes, jump high kick then low kick not vice versa to throw the guy playing the pair of tits with a hat off his game.

How though? Have you ever, ever in your life, known someone to use a scantly clad character in a video game as a distraction as an actual tactic? That's makes no sense. I don't like Street Fighter 4's artstyle, but once I started getting into it, I didn't care anymore because I'm more focused on actually PLAYING the game than going, "JESUS LOOK AT THEIR MUSCLES! ROIDS RIGHT GUYS?!?" It's such a minor thing in the grand scheme of everything this game has. Personally, I don't understand it.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Freshbandito

@Mesoian said:

@Freshbandito said:

@Mesoian said:

How though? Have you ever, ever in your life, known someone to use a scantly clad character in a video game as a distraction as an actual tactic? That's makes no sense. I don't like Street Fighter 4's artstyle, but once I started getting into it, I didn't care anymore because I'm more focused on actually PLAYING the game than going, "JESUS LOOK AT THEIR MUSCLES! ROIDS RIGHT GUYS?!?" It's such a minor thing in the grand scheme of everything this game has. Personally, I don't understand it.

The bolded part...why would you even mention this? it has no bearing on if someone is not interested in a game because of it's look. I really think you don't get it and I'm way too tired to explain the idea behind someone disliking an artstyle and that affecting their thought but I'll try.

Say someone smeared faeces and gunk all over a canvas and then scratched thoughtful prose into it's crusty surface, would you ignore your revulsion at the smell and look of this piece and hang it in your lounge because you may or may not enjoy meditating on the thoughts it expressed? No, you think "gah this has put me off and does not appeal to me". It's an extreme example but you get the idea right? right....?

Some people don't like the art style, for those people this is a mark against the game, It's like if you didn't like a loud airhorn going off in your damned face then a game comes out where the ambience is filled with airhorns, you wouldn't like it and people going "nah it's fine quit not liking it and start liking it" isn't going to change anyone's mind or make your logic any less crooked here.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#97  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Mesoian said:

@Freshbandito said:

@Mesoian said:

I agree. At first I wasn't a fan of the art style either but after spending an afternoon in the lab with Filia all I can see now are hitboxes and hurtboxes. This game is great.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#98  Edited By ArbitraryWater

So anyways.... this seems alright from everything I have seen. It just seems like a fighting game made for people who are really, really into fighting games. And that's good for them. Considering I'm not a huge fan of getting totally wrecked online and will soon have no one to play with locally, I think I'll pass for now. Also, I totally hate the art style, with its americanime/pin up girl aesthetics, but that's more superficial than anything else.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Jaktajj

@Freshbandito said:

@Mesoian said:

@Freshbandito said:

@Mesoian said:

The bolded part...why would you even mention this? it has no bearing on if someone is not interested in a game because of it's look. I really think you don't get it and I'm way too tired to explain the idea behind someone disliking an artstyle and that affecting their thought but I'll try.

Say someone smeared faeces and gunk all over a canvas and then scratched thoughtful prose into it's crusty surface, would you ignore your revulsion at the smell and look of this piece and hang it in your lounge because you may or may not enjoy meditating on the thoughts it expressed? No, you think "gah this has put me off and does not appeal to me". It's an extreme example but you get the idea right? right....?

Some people don't like the art style, for those people this is a mark against the game, It's like if you didn't like a loud airhorn going off in your damned face then a game comes out where the ambience is filled with airhorns, you wouldn't like it and people going "nah it's fine quit not liking it and start liking it" isn't going to change anyone's mind or make your logic any less crooked here.

Let's face it. By 'some people don't like the artstyle' - what it really means is 'some people aren't comfortable with playing a game full of scantily clad ladies'. The art and animation is fantastic in itself, that's something no one can really argue with unless they're just being a miserable bastard and playing devil's advocate. The difference between this game and the examples of covering shit all over your walls that you gave? Skullgirls is kind of knowing in it's erotic design. There's a certain wink and a nod from the theatrical, art deco aesthetics to this game that keeps it classy.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Freshbandito

@el_tajij: Absolutely, the rather...extreme example of the materials used in the painting is in no way a true indicator of Skullgirl's artistic merit, merely a note on how people who are turned off by the design look on it. The art is well done and animates in a great way from everything I've seen but people will always have different tastes, alot of people may just be a bit uptight about the images, others may genuinely dislike the artistic style and that is in no way a criticism of the artist/s involved, simply a matter of taste. For the record I'm neither here nor there, the work looks good but it's a style I'm very much of little opinion about.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.