Skulls of the Shogun Betting Big on Microsoft's Future

• 73 results
#51 Posted by aquamarin (670 posts) -

As someone who will probably go all in on the Windows ecosystem with 8, good for you Skulls of the Shogun, let's hope it works out.

#52 Posted by christ0phe (1033 posts) -

Holy hell, how is this game not out yet?

#53 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3053 posts) -
@crusader8463

@Dohers: @DeF: @Noizemaze: It's only on Windows 8. You can't play it on any other version of windows. I don't want to play the game anywhere but PC, and Microsoft is now paying developers to lock PC games behind being Windows 8 only to try and force people to upgrade to that abomination of a new OS; of which I want no part of. I have seen no reason to go past Windows 7 from what I have seen of 8, and dick moves like trying to lock games away like this make me want the OS even less.

I felt like that about Windows 98.

You'll cave eventually duder, why fight it?
#54 Posted by McShank (1649 posts) -

@fidgetwidget said:

@umdesch4: sorry, my "evolve or die" comment wasn't one directed at anyone, only something in the article HumanoidTyphoon had linked to try and make their point.

Certainly there are ways to get at what you want quickly and easily that don't require a "search" field, especially when you only use a dozen or so programs on a regular basis.

As to why you would "bolt another start menu" to your task bar in order to quickly access the things you use, when there is ample room on the task bar to "pin" programs, and an entire desktop of space for programs... that just seems like wanting to do something fantastically mundane. I am all for re-inventing the wheel (if they didn't re-invent it a few times, it wouldn't be round, or use material that provide better traction, be light weight, etc), but calling a more easy to use with less to learn experience more of a "de-evolution" than an evolution is a bit short sighted.

eg. Can you drive a car? Standard or Automatic? Does your car have power steering, assisted breaks, or other inventions that make driving easier? Or perhaps you take the bus or train? What ever your answers, were those "de-evolutions" of the horse drawn carriage!? If you think that, then the computer itself was too!

As for the word "Idiocracy"... that's the name of a movie... about the fact that intelligence isn't a factor in the all too often misquoted belief that evolution is merely "survival of the fittest".

i like you. /follow

#55 Posted by umdesch4 (787 posts) -

@fidgetwidget said:

As to why you would "bolt another start menu" to your task bar in order to quickly access the things you use, when there is ample room on the task bar to "pin" programs, and an entire desktop of space for programs... that just seems like wanting to do something fantastically mundane.

I see what you're saying, and while in theory I agree, I'm sorry, I can't stop laughing a little, because I can't help but think of 7:53 in this video (sorry, can't embed youtube with a timestamp here, alas):

Loading Video...

Anyway, this is all completely off-topic, and I don't really feel it worth continuing. I think it's a grey area where we're not going to end up totally agreeing in the end. I get work done quickly and painlessly with my setup, and if I'm forced to change, I'll deal with it...

#56 Posted by fidgetwidget (75 posts) -

@umdesch4: I love the fact that your video (at the time stamp) proves apparently both of our points... cheers :D

#57 Posted by umdesch4 (787 posts) -

@fidgetwidget said:

@umdesch4: I love the fact that your video (at the time stamp) proves apparently both of our points... cheers :D

Yup, it totally does. That is, in part, why I thought of it. ;)

Oh, and by the way, also a /follow from me, 'cuz I appreciate a well-reasoned argument/discussion.

#58 Posted by NekuCTR (1710 posts) -

For a second I thought they made it a surface exclusive. That would have been garbage, but whatever. Nothing wrong with some indie devs gettin' payed. As long as it's not at the expense of user enjoyment.

#59 Posted by Tanstaafl (29 posts) -
@NekuCTR Though it is windows 8 exclusive unfortunetly.
#60 Posted by NekuCTR (1710 posts) -

@Tanstaafl said:

What? do people consider Windows 8 the XBox as well? people need to stop getting pissed at an OS that isn't even done yet.

#61 Posted by 1p (798 posts) -

I hope the game is a success and Jake gets super rich off of it. Seems like he deserves it.

#62 Posted by Tanstaafl (29 posts) -

@NekuCTR said:

@Tanstaafl said:

What? do people consider Windows 8 the XBox as well? people need to stop getting pissed at an OS that isn't even done yet.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, what I meant to say was that on PC it's Windows 8 exclusive, meaning no windows 7 version (the tablets run windows 8 too). It will still be on Xbox as well :-)

I'm just a little bummed out because I don't plan on upgrading to windows 8 any time soon and I was looking forward to the game. I may pick it up on 360 but I use my pc way more then my Xbox.

#63 Edited by Odog4ever (17 posts) -

@crajon: True the game selection is behind. But that was due to a lack of native development capability.

Devs pretty much had to rewrite games from scratch to get them on WP7 instead reusing the same assets that worked both iOS and Android (with some additional tweaking). WP8 is leveling the playing field by allowing native code, meaning mobile devs will be able to use ubiquitous game engines like Unity to target iOS, Android, AND WP8.

Also the install base of Windows PC users is way higher than the mobile OSes combined. Even Vista sold a ton of copies despite being hated by geeks.

There are decades long trends suggesting that there will be a huge install base of Windows 8 users meaning the devs will come (if they are partial to make money that is).

#64 Posted by Magnalon (5 posts) -

It's always great to see indie devs thriving.

#65 Posted by avidwriter (670 posts) -

I didn't read the ariticle but I hope this doesn't mean it's not going to be on Steam.

#66 Posted by Zereta (1504 posts) -

Listening to Jake on the 8-4 Play podcast has made me fall in love with him. I want him, Skulls of the Shogun and 17 Bit to succeed so badly.

SotS comes out on ALL the platforms: Windows 8, Windows Phone 7 and Xbox Live Arcade. So whichever of those platforms that you have, you can play this game. So stop bringing in Windows 8 complains here.

I own an Xbox and a Windows Phone 7. I don't really like my Mac so sometime in the future, I'll probably be going to the Surface. The Windows 8 ecosystem thingo that Microsoft is building has never been done before and I am buying into it completely. If Microsoft succeeds, it'll be huge. It will be a shift in how we perceive computing.

Part of this plan is gaming and Skulls of the Shogun is pretty much the Halo of this ecosystem: Its the opening shot of the Windows 8 ecosystem.

They need this to work for them.

#67 Posted by Jack_Lafayette (3855 posts) -

Oh. I was under the impression that this was coming to PS3 as well. Boy, this is awkward.

#68 Posted by kenharkey7 (14 posts) -

Windows is still windows, whether it be on a tablet, laptop, desktop. They slapped some pretty tiles on it thats about it. Personally i've ran windows 8 dev and release previews and really not impressed. Currently downgraded to xp myself only because steam for linux (thru wine) isnt' quite there where I need it to be yet.

#69 Edited by BestUsernameEver (5026 posts) -

@kenharkey7 said:

Windows is still windows, whether it be on a tablet, laptop, desktop. They slapped some pretty tiles on it thats about it. Personally i've ran windows 8 dev and release previews and really not impressed. Currently downgraded to xp myself only because steam for linux (thru wine) isnt' quite there where I need it to be yet.

Yeah, so that's pretty wrong. Windows 8 and Windows RT are pretty different architecturally, and the RT version is the tablet push. So windows on one system can be very different than of a tablet, here's another example. Windows phone 8 will be Windows NT, with built in encrypted boot and support for up to 64 cores, windows phone 7 is Windows CE, which is a much more limited version, and does not share the core with Windows RT. You are just looking at the user interface and saying it all looks the same, so it is the same, which is the furthest from the truth.

#70 Posted by jasondesante (616 posts) -

"betting big on microsoft's future" is also known as "getting fucked in the ass" or "getting screwed", also known as "a bad idea"

#71 Posted by Jaccident (3 posts) -

I played this (for about 40 minutes) at Develop 2011. The entire thing was pretty brilliant, the game controlled really well, their production structure seemed to lend itself to polishing as they went so although they didn't have some features working the ones that were working were slick and bug-free.

Still very much looking forward to this coming to XBLA.

#72 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (928 posts) -

@HumanoidTyphoon: been using windows 8 on desktop for a while now.... have no issues with it

#73 Posted by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -

@patrickklepek said:

Even if you aren't into strategy games, you may dig Skulls of the Shogun. It's like Advance Wars.

Fucking SOLD.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.