You gonna get this game??? Yay or Nay

#1 Edited by xMEGADETHxSLY (445 posts) -

I do not know why but this game has been on my "radar" for a while. I wanted to get it and now the time has come. I am genuilly curious about the "Skulls anywhere" feature where i could be on my Windows Phone(Unicorn OS) playing against some one on a PC against some one sitting their ass down on their xbox. The Windows Store version and the Windows phone version are both on "sale" so i'll probably snatch both version and maybe even the xbox 360 one. Are you guys or ladies intrested in this game, turn based strategy game with a arcady art style???????

Window Phone (Avaliable Now)

Windows 8 (Open in IE)

Edit: totally got it now to see what the hell i got myself into??

Edit Edit: Have about 15 games going on the phone and its very smooth and quick pace, ALSO THE MUSIC IS GOOD. Like sending your turn to the other player and waiting for them to send their turn back to you. So ASYNC (not NSYNC). Also XBL is down and out so the games have stopped.

#2 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (3791 posts) -

@xMEGADETHxSLY: Bought it too! Got it for WP7.5. Wanna see if I can transfer it to 8.5 when I get another phone later this year.

#3 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4702 posts) -

Maybe. I got enough points sitting on my account.

#4 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3088 posts) -

Nay. All I know of it is that I've heard the Giant Bomb guys say the name a few times.

#5 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7100 posts) -

I'll check out the demo first but the comparison to Advance Wars has me intrigued.

#6 Edited by Bollard (5868 posts) -

You have it already? I'm looking forward to getting it on the Surface.

Thanks for the Win8 link, downloading now!

#7 Posted by Hilbert (349 posts) -

Instead I'll buy:

Disgaea 3: absence of detention Vita
#8 Posted by StarvingGamer (8559 posts) -

Maybe if it comes to a platform I actually use...

Also obligatory "Yea not yay".

#9 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -

Not sure,

I want some more gameplay video and some full reviews first. I do love a good turn based tactical game but it seems like it might be a very shallow game and just won't hold my interest, Wait and see I guess.

#10 Edited by mrcraggle (1979 posts) -

I've played the demo but I'm not sure. The frame rate on my Omnia 7 (running WP 7.5) is terrible and the jagged edges and blurriness on my Lumia 920 make it seem like the game hasn't been optimised for the high resolution screen which is putting me off. Most Xbox enabled games don't seem to get a lot of updates to fix any issues. I have 14 Xbox games on my phone (used to have more) and only 5 of them have the new green banner. I just wish that MS actually gave a shit. This is the first Xbox branded game on WP in 6 weeks which is just a joke. They're extremely far behind the competition and need to be more aggressive. WP will be getting Temple Run soon but no one gives a shit at this point now that TR2 has just come out.

EDIT: Here are some screenshots from the WP8 version. Unfortunately doesn't seem to be running in HD. Just compare the last 2 images from these shots to the shots from W8. As WP8 now supports higher resolutions, this is unacceptable imo.

And here are a couple of shots from the Windows 8 version.

#11 Posted by david3cm (636 posts) -

Is this only on windows 8, or is it compatible with windows 7 as well?

#12 Posted by BisonHero (7068 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

Maybe if it comes to a platform I actually use...

Also obligatory "Yea not yay".

This is where I'm at. It looks like a cool game, but I have no intention of upgrading to Windows 8 anytime soon because I just don't see the appeal, nor am I interested in getting Windows Phone 8 or Surface or whatever else plays this.

So their loss for not releasing it for Windows 7 like a sane person.

#13 Posted by 49th (2851 posts) -

Maybe when I see some gameplay. I still have no idea what this game is despite watching a trailer and hearing it mentioned on the Bombcast multiple times... also don't care enough to search for it.

#14 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I see nothing of interest in this game.

#15 Posted by Coafi (1494 posts) -

Nay.

#16 Posted by brownsfantb (401 posts) -

Downloading the demo on XBLA right now. I'm intrigued by the game but I'm not sure if I'll have the time to play it with Fire Emblem and Sly coming out next week. Oh and Antichamber tomorrow too.

#17 Posted by RobertOrri (1159 posts) -

I feel kind of bad for the developers.

#18 Posted by august (3866 posts) -

@david3cm said:

Is this only on windows 8, or is it compatible with windows 7 as well?

Only 8.

I'm buyin' it.

#19 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3998 posts) -

For sure. Just deciding where. It's a shame they won't give you PC and Xbox. If that's something they want to push in the future this would be a great gateway.

I guess I'll probably go PC.

@49th said:

Maybe when I see some gameplay. I still have no idea what this game is despite watching a trailer and hearing it mentioned on the Bombcast multiple times... also don't care enough to search for it.

... they've done two Quick Looks on the very site you are on right now.

#20 Posted by zombie2011 (5052 posts) -

I bought it, I have a convertible Windows 8 laptop and it plays really well. I haven't played a game like this since the original Advanced Wars so i'm having so much fun with it.

#21 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1695 posts) -

I bought this off XBLA last night and played the first few campaign missions, and enjoyed it. It does well as a streamlined strategy game with some interesting mechanics. I think it'll be a stopgap for me until Fire Emblem comes out next week, probably will end up beating it over the weekend.

Really like the graphical style and music, and the writing in the campaign has been surprisingly humorous so far.

#22 Posted by BeachThunder (12437 posts) -

Maybe when I upgrade to Windows 9...

#23 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1474 posts) -

When I have the money, sure.

#24 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

@mrcraggle: thats really shitty tbh, the windows 8 shots look like you took them with a camera phone, all blurry and thats a shame since i kinda expect my PC games to look nice.

doesn't look like i'll be getting it, i have windows 7 and my Xbox is busted

#25 Posted by GnsDemon (115 posts) -

Demo like everyone is saying. Who knows I love some advanced wars. Tactics etc.

#26 Posted by FLYmeatwad (154 posts) -

Love Advanced Wars, just don't know if I have any friends who are also picking it up so who knows if the multiplayer will mean much to me. Also I'm definitely getting Fire Emblem next week, so may have strategy overload. I also don't have a smart phone or a tablet.

#27 Posted by Peanut (955 posts) -

I bought it last night and I've enjoyed it so far. It has an incredible amount of polish, which should probably be expected considering how long it was in development. Also, really great writing.

#28 Posted by Korwin (3040 posts) -

Downloaded the trial for my Lumia 920, turns out the game doesn't run at the WP8 native resolution and scales everything so it looks crappy.

THE CULMINATION OF YEARS OF DEVELOPMENT :P

#29 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Nope.

#30 Posted by BRG9000 (145 posts) -

I played this at Indiecade in 2011 and it seemed pretty great. That said, I don't have a windows phone or windows 8 and I'm not sure this is a game I'd devote full attention to while on the couch. So the jury is out.

#31 Edited by mrcraggle (1979 posts) -

@buft: Do you mean the Windows 8 or Windows Phone 8? The Windows 8 version actually looks alright when playing but it is styled to look a bit like an old movie. The screen shots I took on my phone are truely awful though. I can't believe they just released the 480 x 800 res for WP7 and just stuck the same version on a 768p screen.

@Korwin: I really hope they update it. Right now it looks awful and I don't want to pay for it just incase it doesn't get an update. A lot of the Xbox branded stuff has been pretty poor for getting updates. So many games I've bought didn't even receive an update to mango.

#32 Posted by mrfluke (5350 posts) -

yea ill get it to support 8-4 and the fact that this has been in development forever, so they are probably broke

#33 Posted by fargofallout (303 posts) -

No - not unless that absurd PC requirement is removed. I'm not installing Windows 8 just to play this game, and I'm not interested enough to get the Xbox version. If this is a timed exclusivity thing, and it goes to Steam when that time period ends, maybe I'll give it a try.

#34 Posted by President_Barackbar (3474 posts) -

@fargofallout said:

No - not unless that absurd PC requirement is removed. I'm not installing Windows 8 just to play this game, and I'm not interested enough to get the Xbox version. If this is a timed exclusivity thing, and it goes to Steam when that time period ends, maybe I'll give it a try.

That isn't going to happen. MS is making it a Metro store exclusive to try to get people into Win 8.

#35 Posted by stryfe2006 (1 posts) -

I download the trial version first to see if it is worth the purchase.

#36 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I would love to pay money for this if it wasn't exclusive to Windows 8 on the PC. I don't have an Xbox or Windows phone.

#37 Posted by fargofallout (303 posts) -

@President_Barackbar said:

@fargofallout said:

That isn't going to happen. MS is making it a Metro store exclusive to try to get people into Win 8.

Goddammit.

#38 Posted by mrfluke (5350 posts) -

played about almost halfway through it, its actually kinda difficult

but yea though cool strategy game and great writing and great music

#39 Edited by Rafaelfc (1467 posts) -

No.

I never understood the attention this game got, it never looked appealing to me.

Here's hoping Johann Sebastian Joust gets released too so I never have to hear that title ever again.

#40 Posted by Cameron (607 posts) -

Maybe eventually. I'd like to play it on PC, but I'm not going to buy a new OS I don't want just to play a game. Microsoft doesn't have nearly enough power in the PC gaming market to pull that kind of crap. I have an Xbox, but I'm a little offended that version costs more for no reason. So maybe once it's half off I'll try it.

#41 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6162 posts) -

Game looks solid enough; maybe a bit simplistic for a tactical RPG but if recent history has shown anything that's enough to get you GoTY.

#42 Posted by Morningstar (2242 posts) -

Yay. And I did. Played it for a few hours now and it's been incredibly boring so far. Graphics are nice, writing is good, music is good, but it's just so dull and flat to play.

I love adwance wars, and almost all turn based strategy game out there, but this just isn't for me I guess =(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.