Activision Announces Skylanders Giants, Presumably While Preemptively Counting Your Money

• 71 results
Posted by Alex (2030 posts) -

The concept of a sequel to Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, Activision and developer Toys for Bob's obscenely popular action figure/video game combination aimed squarely at removing large quantities of cash from the wallets of parents prone to caving in to their children's demands and also Jeff Gerstmann, seemed like more an inevitability than a possibility. This became especially true when new web domains for something called Skylanders Giants appeared, striking fear into the hearts of Skylanders owners the world over, as they suddenly mulled the possibility that their currently owned Skylanders would suddenly become inferior in the face of giant goddamn Skylanders.

AAAAGGGHHH THESE SKYLANDERS ARE SO GIAAAAAANT AAAAGGHHHHH!

Your fears were not entirely unfounded, as today Activision has announced plans to release Skylanders Giants, a full-on sequel to Spyro's Adventure that, yes, features all new Skylanders figures that are reportedly a good bit bigger than the original game's plastic creature things. There will be eight new characters in all.

The good news? All the Skylanders you already caved and bought for reasons you still can't quite come to terms with within your soul will actually work just fine with this new sequel. Moreover, all the stats you've earned in the original game will carry over into Skylanders Giants.

The world will apparently get its first look at Skylanders Giants at the American International Toy Fair toward the end of this month, and the game is currently targeted for release this fall. You can check out some new screenshots on the newly-created Skylanders Giants game page, including a few new figure shots to whet your appetite for buying plastic things you totally know you shouldn't but will do anyway because you have the non-willpower of a thousand heroin junkies combined.

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (2030 posts) -

The concept of a sequel to Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, Activision and developer Toys for Bob's obscenely popular action figure/video game combination aimed squarely at removing large quantities of cash from the wallets of parents prone to caving in to their children's demands and also Jeff Gerstmann, seemed like more an inevitability than a possibility. This became especially true when new web domains for something called Skylanders Giants appeared, striking fear into the hearts of Skylanders owners the world over, as they suddenly mulled the possibility that their currently owned Skylanders would suddenly become inferior in the face of giant goddamn Skylanders.

AAAAGGGHHH THESE SKYLANDERS ARE SO GIAAAAAANT AAAAGGHHHHH!

Your fears were not entirely unfounded, as today Activision has announced plans to release Skylanders Giants, a full-on sequel to Spyro's Adventure that, yes, features all new Skylanders figures that are reportedly a good bit bigger than the original game's plastic creature things. There will be eight new characters in all.

The good news? All the Skylanders you already caved and bought for reasons you still can't quite come to terms with within your soul will actually work just fine with this new sequel. Moreover, all the stats you've earned in the original game will carry over into Skylanders Giants.

The world will apparently get its first look at Skylanders Giants at the American International Toy Fair toward the end of this month, and the game is currently targeted for release this fall. You can check out some new screenshots on the newly-created Skylanders Giants game page, including a few new figure shots to whet your appetite for buying plastic things you totally know you shouldn't but will do anyway because you have the non-willpower of a thousand heroin junkies combined.

Staff
#2 Posted by shmappblarg (3 posts) -

Fantastic

#3 Posted by sixpin (1287 posts) -

Yeah, I'll buy 'em.

#4 Posted by Seb (358 posts) -

And the Spyro name is finally dead.

#5 Posted by adamfedoruk (217 posts) -

Skylanders. But bigger.

#6 Posted by MisterMouse (3546 posts) -

Looks likes those arms on that giant can move

#7 Posted by jonny_mung (90 posts) -

I really hope they base one of them on Space Egypt. Like a giant robot Spynx or somethin..

#8 Posted by dbol (92 posts) -

RIP Jeff's bank account

#9 Posted by buhssuht (437 posts) -

Live reaction of Jeff plz

#10 Posted by IAmNotBatman (628 posts) -

It's the end of the world as we know it!

#11 Posted by Reagent (12 posts) -

Yeah....I'll buy them. and hate myself.

#12 Posted by thegrue72 (15 posts) -

I still can't find Cynder or Double Trouble in any local stores. I shudder to think of them releasing more figures I won't be able to find.

#13 Posted by Freezer_Burn (207 posts) -

The trailer was pretty cool. I would totally watch a Skylanders cartoon.

#14 Posted by Maajin (1058 posts) -

Poor Jeff.

#15 Posted by LordCmdrStryker (346 posts) -

I'll just sit here and gleefully hug all the other games I'll be able to buy when I'm not buying Skylanders. Wheee!

#16 Posted by sub_o (881 posts) -

@buhssuht said:

Live reaction of Jeff plz

I demand a video of Jeff chatting to his Skylanders the same way he talked to his pod racer.

#17 Posted by Atwa (617 posts) -

Really want to see Jeffs reaction to this.

#18 Posted by BertieWooster (59 posts) -

All I ask is that this prints so much money that when Activision suits visit, just enough cash falls from their pockets in loose bills to finance another Toys For Bob-made Star Control game.

Or if the TFB guys can at least salvage the $1000 bills that the Activision guys light their cigars with from their comically jewel-encrusted ashtrays.

#19 Posted by TheKing (828 posts) -

Must continue to resist delving into the deep dark work that is Skylanders.

#20 Posted by aaelon (15 posts) -

I'm just waiting on the lobster monsters...

#21 Posted by Atary77 (502 posts) -

That's great activision, now if you can get the damn figure packs in the stores so I can play with the characters and game you've already made before you pump this one out.

#22 Posted by AlwaysBeClothing (1459 posts) -

JEFF GET YOUR PRE-ORDER IN NOW, THIS IS GAME ROOM 2.0

#23 Posted by CyleMoore (494 posts) -

Oh shit!

#24 Posted by Sinful (211 posts) -

Oversaturation Incoming !!!!!

*plays Guitar Hero*

#25 Posted by PenguinDust (12491 posts) -

Does anyone at Whiskey Media cover the International Toy Fair? Comic Vine maybe? I'm curious because I used to like to read a magazine called ToyFare even though I don't collect toys. Just like the Wishbook around Christmas time, it's fun to see what's out there.

#26 Posted by rmanthorp (3911 posts) -

"How can we make more money?" "Make the figures bigger!" That guy got a raise.

#27 Posted by Jayzilla (2559 posts) -

Beanie Babies as video games. Gross.

#28 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

I wonder if Jeff will grow out of his Skylanders phase.

#29 Posted by Nux (2328 posts) -

No one tell Jeff. I know he already knows about this but no one tell him.

#30 Posted by Swoxx (2992 posts) -

@aaelon said:

I'm just waiting on the lobster monsters...

Would those be of the space neon variety?

#31 Posted by gsquirrelgo (48 posts) -

There is a distinct possibility that yesterday I may have pulled money from my 401k to purchase Skylanders. I think I need an adult.

#32 Posted by MeatSim (10828 posts) -

I look forward to hearing Jeff talk about Skylanders a bunch again.

#33 Posted by Maitimo (196 posts) -

Next they'll be packing Skylanders Minis in cereal or something.

#34 Posted by Vexxan (4618 posts) -

Jeff's wallet :/

#35 Posted by JackSukeru (5909 posts) -

They just Rayman'd Spyro's name out of the series, I see.

Well sorta. To be fair he was only in the subtitle of the last one and everybody already knows why it was on there in the first place so I guess it's no biggie. It is good news for the Skylanders brand at least.

#36 Edited by rachelepithet (1391 posts) -

#37 Posted by StitchJones (68 posts) -

I would like to get the rest of the Skylanders that haven't been released yet first please.

#38 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

We need official word from Jeff.

#39 Posted by DingoPetticoat (9 posts) -

Now if only Activision will release a bomb-esque character that happens to be giant, that would have to win the 'Best Skylander of 2012' award, right?

#40 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

MIddle-aged men's wallets are not ready!

#41 Posted by Scheds (464 posts) -

Badass! I'll definitely be picking up Giants. On the double if they make a GIANT TERRAFIN

#42 Posted by falling_fast (2208 posts) -

I'm so glad that this news got the Alex Navarro treatment

#43 Posted by paulunga (1984 posts) -

should have ended with "...but will do anyway because you have the non-willpower of a thousand heroin junkies combined, Jeff."

#44 Posted by SimplyTron (77 posts) -

Oh wow, yet another Alex article with refrences to drugs. New York really is a creative Mecca isn't it?

#45 Posted by BLipp18 (256 posts) -

@Seb said:

only makes sense, Spyro has been dead for years

#46 Posted by Nakiro (79 posts) -

The new Skylanders actually look kinda cool.

#47 Posted by jakkblades (403 posts) -

I love the caption on the picture. Clearly, Alex was troubled by new Skylanders.

#48 Posted by Sharpless (465 posts) -

Somewhere, Jeff Gerstmann is crying.

#49 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7076 posts) -

@Seb said:

Spyro was dead before Skylanders. Shitty Spyro games killed him a while ago.

#50 Posted by kollay (1928 posts) -

Skylanders = Jeff's Game Room. Except, this is 'cooler'... kinda.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.