Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 13, 2011

Spyro and friends are toys come to life in this new 3D platformer from Toys for Bob and Activision.

Skylanders was terrible

thsmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By thsmith

I bought Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, and I hated it :(

I watched the Quick Look, and it looked like a lot of fun. Costly, but still fun. So I went all in, bought the starter pack, one extra character (Whirlwind from Target), and three $19.99 packs (one character pack and two level packs). I was so excited about the game that I opened up the starter pack in the car to look at all of the pieces! It's been quite a while since I was so excited about a game.

As soon as we got home, we fired up the game, and we played 6 chapters in co-op, using only the three characters that came with the starter pack. I didn't open any of the other packs, just in case I didn't like the game and I needed to take them back. We were giddy with excitement at first; however, as we kept on playing, our excitement vanished. The game is easy. It's not just kind of easy -- it's really easy. It was so lacking of challenge that it was not fun at all. The layouts were linear; the game holds your hand to an annoying degree; you are constantly watching advertisements for characters you don't have; and the enemies are go down with 1-2 shots. I primarily used Gill Grunt, and he has an ability that sprays all enemies down with water, so if you just hold down spray and spin in a circle, everything will die. I looked for a difficulty slider, but I was unable to find one. Given that I had spent about $120, still needed to buy more to fully play the game (by having one character of each of the eight elements), and was not having fun, deciding to sell the game online and take back the unopened characters was an easy choice.

One thing that I found that was interesting was that your portal of power will detect the characters if they're still in the pack. I didn't use any of the characters that I didn't open (other than to see if it would work), but an unscrupulous gamer could take advantage of this -- especially with regard to the pirate ship and crypt levels.

With all of the above being said, I think that I would have enjoyed this game a lot more if I were playing it with my son, and if he were old enough to play games (He's eleven months old right now). I've seen several comments wondering why this game was not targeted to the gaming community, but rather is marketed as a children's toy would be marketed, but after playing the game, it's clear to me why this was done. I think that it would be totally awesome though to play a more challenging version of this game, perhaps with a different franchise such as Champions of Norrath or even something like Torchlight.

thsmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By thsmith

I bought Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, and I hated it :(

I watched the Quick Look, and it looked like a lot of fun. Costly, but still fun. So I went all in, bought the starter pack, one extra character (Whirlwind from Target), and three $19.99 packs (one character pack and two level packs). I was so excited about the game that I opened up the starter pack in the car to look at all of the pieces! It's been quite a while since I was so excited about a game.

As soon as we got home, we fired up the game, and we played 6 chapters in co-op, using only the three characters that came with the starter pack. I didn't open any of the other packs, just in case I didn't like the game and I needed to take them back. We were giddy with excitement at first; however, as we kept on playing, our excitement vanished. The game is easy. It's not just kind of easy -- it's really easy. It was so lacking of challenge that it was not fun at all. The layouts were linear; the game holds your hand to an annoying degree; you are constantly watching advertisements for characters you don't have; and the enemies are go down with 1-2 shots. I primarily used Gill Grunt, and he has an ability that sprays all enemies down with water, so if you just hold down spray and spin in a circle, everything will die. I looked for a difficulty slider, but I was unable to find one. Given that I had spent about $120, still needed to buy more to fully play the game (by having one character of each of the eight elements), and was not having fun, deciding to sell the game online and take back the unopened characters was an easy choice.

One thing that I found that was interesting was that your portal of power will detect the characters if they're still in the pack. I didn't use any of the characters that I didn't open (other than to see if it would work), but an unscrupulous gamer could take advantage of this -- especially with regard to the pirate ship and crypt levels.

With all of the above being said, I think that I would have enjoyed this game a lot more if I were playing it with my son, and if he were old enough to play games (He's eleven months old right now). I've seen several comments wondering why this game was not targeted to the gaming community, but rather is marketed as a children's toy would be marketed, but after playing the game, it's clear to me why this was done. I think that it would be totally awesome though to play a more challenging version of this game, perhaps with a different franchise such as Champions of Norrath or even something like Torchlight.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Jeff has stated many times on the podcast that the game is way easy and is meant for kids.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By jaycrockett

It gets harder. The Kaos battles are a bit of a challenge as are the challenge levels. But yeah, it's a kids game. I can confirm that it is fun to play with a 4 year old.

knetic2341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By knetic2341

@SethPhotopoulos said:

Jeff has stated many times on the podcast that the game is way easy and is meant for kids.

Yeah....

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#6  Edited By jacksukeru

I kinda wish that the new Kirby game had a difficulty slider.

Also yeah, you got caught up in the hype, it happens, at least you could get some of your money back.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Hamz

Yeah the entire business model for the game emphasises the fact that the demographic the game is aiming at is kids. It's like Pokemon was back when it first launched with games, cards, figurines and so forth.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By nightriff

@Hamz said:

Yeah the entire business model for the game emphasises the fact that the demographic the game is aiming at is kids. It's like Pokemon was back when it first launched with games, cards, figurines and so forth.

I would say Pokemon is meant for kids but is also fun for adults, I bought SoulSilver last year because I had fond memories of playing it when it first came out and it was still a blast to play where Skylanders looks like it couldn't be anything but boring for anyone over 10

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By RobertOrri

I must say I'm surprised Activision decided to release something like this before Nintendo.

One of my local retailers says its sold out on Chop Chop figurines, though... the guys were right about getting in early on all that Chop Chop action!

robcat09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By robcat09

Why can't you enjoy an easy game? The cinematics are clever and funny, with interesting characters. You are constantly off to some other type of level than the previous one. You are constantly switching characters - leveling them up to gain new abilities.

Can't people just sit down and have fun once in a while?

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CaLe

Can't people just sit down and have fun once in a while?

NO!
    Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SuperWristBands

The best thing Skylanders has done was create the multiplatorm thing they have, where a figurine would work on all systems. So kid A has a PS3 and kid B has a 360, they can invite the black sheep kid C who has a PC and they can all play together.

As a nerd who is not afraid to buy small figures, seeing something like this - but as something I am interested in! - would be quite neat.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By cstrang

A fool and his money...

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DougQuaid

1. Get in touch with Jeff.

2. Sell your Skylanders to Jeff.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Heltom92

I assume you are over the age of 10 so why the fuck were you so excited about this game.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SuperWristBands

@Heltom92 said:

I assume you are over the age of 10 so why the fuck were you so excited about this game.

I wouldn't have believed it if my brother (24) hadn't told me about this game before even Giantbomb had any real coverage. I guess he likes the idea of collecting things? No idea, but he told me if he had a kid he would buy it with his kid as the excuse.

Muerthoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Muerthoz

Even though this is an easy game, I'm still having fun with it. Anyway, the main reason I bought this is because I thought the tech side of it was pretty cool and I would like to see more companies do stuff like this in the future.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Masha2932

Judging from what you've written I think terrible may be the wrong word to use. 

ter·ri·ble /ˈterəbəl/

Adjective:
    1. Extremely and shockingly or distressingly bad or seriou s

All you've complained about is the easy difficulty and in game adverts.  I think disappointing may have been a better choice of words since you summarise by saying you would have enjoyed the game if it was more challenging.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By Jost1

It's actually a genuinely good family game and saying it's terrible is just wrong.

You can say you had a terrible time PLAYING it, sure. But it's a well made product.

robcat09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By robcat09

I would suggest that you keep playing, because 6 chapters in is not very far. The challenge does ramp up the further you get.

Also, do you find any enjoyment in leveling up your characters and unlocking new abilities?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.