Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 13, 2011

Spyro and friends are toys come to life in this new 3D platformer from Toys for Bob and Activision.

Spyro nostalgia, what??

• 85 results
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Jost1

I think Skylanders looks great. But I've seen people saying that they've somehow "ruined" Spyro or whatever and I'm wondering: Who has feelings for the old Spyro games to the extent that they feel something is "ruined" for them because they made something new and original with the Spyro license?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Hizang

These new games have totally ruined the Spyro franchise, but to be fair its been really bad since the third Spyro game.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By gamb1t

Not sure how i feel about this but they took the game in a completely different direction. Spyro is a chef or something now? i played the first 3 and its nothing like how they portray him now. i never knock anything till i try it but it seems different.

Soffish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Soffish

I loved the original Spyros, but I have nothing against Skylanders. It seems like a pretty decent kids game to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
    deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

They made spyro look like he has down syndrome or whatever the dragon equivalent of that is.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hizang
    Fuck Yeah!
    Fuck Yeah!
    Fuck Off!
    Fuck Off!
    ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By ez123

@Jost1 said:

Who has feelings for the old Spyro games to the extent that they feel something is "ruined" for them because they made something new and original with the Spyro license?

A lot of people, don't be an idiot. Spyro's no Crash Bandicoot but people loved the Spyro games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the new game looks dumb, but I've also never really understood anyone having nostalgia for Spyro.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By TobbRobb

Spyro was awesome! Up until three. Everything after that has been downright unplayable.

Rerejo28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rerejo28

Spyro was the first game I ever played on my PS1, and it's one of the things that turned me on to gaming when i was little, so its a pretty nostalgic franchise for me. But that was back when Spyro was good. This new... Thing... Kill it. Kill it with fire.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Zippedbinders

The Insomniac games were amazing early 3D platformers (better than Banjo in my opinion). The games that followed ranged from uninspired to "one of the worst games ever made", but I don't have any real beef with Skylanders. Mostly because its not a Spyro game at all, its just Pokemon Rumble with physical DLC. If anything, its insulting to the game and Spyro fans of any sort to feel the need to put him in this game.

There's no point to it, tacking his name on isn't going to help sell this game to anyone.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cloudenvy

Man, the first 3 Spyro games were awesome.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By MooseyMcMan

They just redesigned the look of Spyro and he looks really bad and dumb now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

How long ago was the last Insomniac Spyro game released for the fucking PS1?   Dude your still fondly remembering and holding a candle for a franchise that its own creators sold off.  Insomniac when on to make the much supieor  Ratchet and Clank  and to a much lesser extent Resistance .  At least Spyro is still around unlike Naughty Dog's PS1 mascot or even their PS2 mascot.   Crash and Jak wish they were in Spyro's shoes/claws.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By ProfessorEss

For me Spyro has always been the mascot of mediocrity.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By lord_canti

i loved the ps1 games played them to death but my nostalgia died when elijah wood started doing his voice.....and david spade doing sparx ¬_¬

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By gamb1t

@Hizang said:

Fuck Yeah!
    Fuck Yeah!
    Fuck Off!
    Fuck Off!

WHY?!? (pete and pete voice)

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Spyro was ruined long before Skylanders. In fact, the game looks decent. Doing new things with the franchise can only be a good thing, compared to what the other recent Spyro games have been. BUT I cannot overlook the terrible design of Spyro. He looks horrible. And the whole game seems very moneygrabbingy. I mean, the game comes with 32 characters on disk, and if you want to play all of then you're going to have to pay a fortune. It's like on disk DLC taken to a whole new extreme. The child inside me wants to love the concept. Putting your toys in a game sounds awesome to my 9 year old self. But as an adult, I just keep thinking of how much it would cost to access all the content on that disk. I've got no problem that it's not a traditional Spyro game. I'm happy for them to try new things. But the design of Spyro is vile, and the money-grabbing stuff is hard to look away from.

shiptoncraig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By shiptoncraig

Back in the 90s, Crash and Spyro were as important to me as Mario was. Obviously that's all changed now, but the quality of the originals still remains.

Muerthoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Muerthoz

@Hizang said:

Fuck Yeah!
    Fuck Yeah!
    Fuck Off!
    Fuck Off!

Not that I think that new Spyro looks any better but Spyro in the top image is probably the reason I never played any of the original games. I just want to punch him in the face.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#21  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Guys, Spyro has been ruined since like... 2001 or whenever the 4th game came out. You can't re-ruin a franchise that was degraded to C-tier mascot platformer by the time the last console generation happened. Same goes for Crash Bandicoot.

Thoseposers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Thoseposers

@Muerthoz said:

@Hizang said:

Fuck Yeah!
    Fuck Yeah!
    Fuck Off!
    Fuck Off!

Not that I think that new Spyro looks any better but Spyro in the top image is probably the reason I never played any of the original games. I just want to punch him in the face.

the top image is pure 90's with "attitude" and the bottom one is a slightly more generic, kid friendly, modernized version. Between the two i probably prefer the bottom one, but i never played spyro and i always thought he looked stupid too.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ProfessorEss
    And why is that? The Spyro games weren't any worse than any other platformer of their day, in fact I think they were right up there with the best of the genre.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hizang

@Thoseposers:

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By Jost1

Well consider me put in my place.

Still think Skylanders looks a lot more interesting than just any old mascot platformer.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @President_Barackbar said:

@ProfessorEss

And why is that? The Spyro games weren't any worse than any other platformer of their day, in fact I think they were right up there with the best of the genre.
    I dunno, because I didn't feel they were right up there with the best of the genre? I felt they were more right up at the top of the middle of the genre. 
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ProfessorEss: Well then, what do you consider to be better than Spyro?

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By themangalist

Spyro was a pretty decent platformer, not too complicated, yet also complicated enough for kids to have a fun challenge.

And Skylanders doesn't even have a jump button...

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By oatz

Spyro died the minute Insomniac Games sold the franchise.

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By matiaz_tapia

@Muerthoz said:

@Hizang said:

Fuck Yeah!
    Fuck Yeah!
    Fuck Off!
    Fuck Off!

I think someone did. That's how the new design came to be.

Honestly people, if you remember Spyro games fondly it probably means you're pretty old. Old enough at least to not have to be so preoccupied about something as petty as this.

Spyro was a kid's game when it came out...and it's a kid's game now. The design is going to be for kids now, not for the very few 30 year olds who don't want to play a Spyro game, but love to complain about it anyways. You can't go play on the swings by the park either ( and if you do someone is probably going to call the cops)

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mikey87144

I loved those old Spyro games but that was a good while ago. Since Insomniac stopped developing and Sony stopped publishing it the game and series had turned to shit. Whatever love I felt for it ended with Spyro 3.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By zeushbien

Never played the ones past the first 3. But heard they weren't so hot. Does this new game have anything to do with the old spyro games or is he really just thrown in there for name recognitions sake?

Chojin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Chojin

@Twinsun said:

Does this new game have anything to do with the old spyro games or is he really just thrown in there for name recognitions sake?

This is exactly what they`ve done. They’ve used the name of a fairly known franchise to help boost interest in a new one. This is definitely a Skylanders game and not a Spyro game. He`s just one of 30 heroes split into 8 different elemental categories. Me and my son have played this for 2 days now and not even used Spyro himself except for opening an optional door which needed a magic element character.

Finally, this is NOT for adults. My 6 year old on the other hand is completely blown away by seeing these toys being magically transported through this cool glowing magical portal, into a videogame world where he can fight monsters and buy upgrades etc. He`s so into being a “portal master” that he even brought an extra pillow for his skylanders when he went to bed.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mmmslash
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By Dalai

People still feel nostalgic for Sonic after all these years despite the games being a mixed bag the past 10 years. The same goes for Spyro, although those people are fewer in numbers and not that vocal. Maybe this new game will be the revival the franchise desperately needs.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By coakroach

I played the hell out of the original Spyro games.

I've come to accept that him and Crash Bandicoot were sold off long ago and will spend the rest of eternity being defiled.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ryanwho

Not much to ruin. Its like if Brave or Chameleon Twist came back as nonplatformers. Okay they're "ruined" but it wasn't exactly high art to begin with.

okoctothorpe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By okoctothorpe

@Chojin said:

Finally, this is NOT for adults. My 6 year old on the other hand is completely blown away by seeing these toys being magically transported through this cool glowing magical portal, into a videogame world where he can fight monsters and buy upgrades etc. He`s so into being a “portal master” that he even brought an extra pillow for his skylanders when he went to bed.

This is exactly what the game's about: introducing a new generation to the magic of gaming. To my adult eyes, this looks like Pokemon or Magic for the 21st century: you collect the objects, beg your parents for the newest ones, swap with your friends. Sure, it's a little pricier than other collectible games, but you can play with the figurines (something you can't do with a cardboard rectangle).

President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So they brought this up on the Bombcast again this week, and I'm kinda offended here. Why are people allowed to have Mario nostalgia from days past and not be ridiculed for it, but someone who has Spyro nostalgia is some kind of nut?

solidejake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By solidejake

A good Spyro game has Stewart Copeland composing the soundtrack. A good Spyro has Tom Kenney (or Carlos Alazaraqui) voicing Spyro. For God's sake, a good Spyro is developed by Insomniac!

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By Oldirtybearon

So they brought this up on the Bombcast again this week, and I'm kinda offended here. Why are people allowed to have Mario nostalgia from days past and not be ridiculed for it, but someone who has Spyro nostalgia is some kind of nut?

Because Spyro was never a good game.

Also, Nintendo.

J0PALACE0K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By J0PALACE0K

In terms of nostalgia, Spyro was 'that game' for me. Sure the new game looks disgusting but to be honest if they just created a spryo 4 (directly carrying on from 3 and playing the same as the first three) then would people really get it.

I have just played through 2 and 3 recently and while being awesome for nostaliga purposes they had to take the game somewhere (they've just done it completely terribly)...we can't pretend that they could just reproduce exactly the same stuff as the beloved first three.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By benpicko

@KingWilly said:

Also, Nintendo.

SPYRO WAS NEVER A GOOD GAME!?!? How wrong you are.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By Milkman

Being nostalgic for Spyro is like having nostalgic for Gex. Who gives a shit?

EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By EnchantedEcho

@Jost1: Being born in the 90s and owning a PS1 instead of a N64 it was the series that I can come back to and still really enjoy (the first 3 games anyway). They also made him look as ugly as possible.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@benpicko said:

@KingWilly said:

Also, Nintendo.

Go ahead. Try and put Spyro on the a-list of console platformers with a straight face. I dare you.

Argue all you want, but there have been, always were, and always will be much, much better platformers than Spyro. Shatner summed it up best earlier in this very thread: Spyro was (barely) mediocre.

@Milkman said:

I agree so completely.

chet_rippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By chet_rippo

Spyro was my very first console game and I loved it. When Insomniac stopped making the games it just went downhill. But seriously it has been terrible for a while, I don't understand how the hell they can still make these.

President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KingWilly said:

@benpicko said:

@KingWilly said:

Also, Nintendo.

Go ahead. Try and put Spyro on the a-list of console platformers with a straight face. I dare you.

Argue all you want, but there have been, always were, and always will be much, much better platformers than Spyro. Shatner summed it up best earlier in this very thread: Spyro was (barely) mediocre.

@Milkman said:

I agree so completely.

Its the The Saboteur thing of thinking a game is worse than it is because its the same kind of game as a well regarded game that already exists. Spyro was great fun and was, along with Crash Bandicoot, THE mascot platformer for the Playstation. Not everyone had an N64, and I'm tired of people trying to say Spyro was bad because it wasn't Mario. People with Nintendo nostalgia baffle me because they act like Nintendo was the only company that ever made great games ever back in the day. Its simply not true.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@KingWilly said:

@benpicko said:

@KingWilly said:

Also, Nintendo.

@Milkman said:

I agree so completely.

Its the The Saboteur thing of thinking a game is worse than it is because its the same kind of game as a well regarded game that already exists. Spyro was great fun and was, along with Crash Bandicoot, THE mascot platformer for the Playstation. Not everyone had an N64, and I'm tired of people trying to say Spyro was bad because it wasn't Mario. People with Nintendo nostalgia baffle me because they act like Nintendo was the only company that ever made great games ever back in the day. Its simply not true.

But The Saboteur wasn't a good game, either. It had neat ideas but it was developed by Pandemic. That alone should tell you of the lack of quality. Hell, the only reason I bought it was because I had chewed through the holiday releases already, and was desperate for something.

As for the Nintendo nostalgia, I agree. I fucking hate it. I liked Nintendo games when I was a kid, but seeing a bunch of grown men pander and paw at their Skyward Sword like it was something more than another kids game baffles me. They always were kids games, same as Spyro. Outrage over a kids game continuing to be a kids game for kids is stupid.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By benpicko

@KingWilly said:

@benpicko said:

@KingWilly said:

Also, Nintendo.

OK. I just did, and it was the easiest thing I'll ever do. Now what?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.