Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dwarf Fortress

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Aug 08, 2006

Dwarf Fortress is a single-player, high fantasy simulation game in the style of old ASCII Roguelikes. You can control either a Dwarven clan attempting to build a settlement or a single adventurer in a randomly generated and persistent world complete with its own unique history.

Angry-The short lived civilsation of The Straw Hats

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Fallen189

200 years had passed, and the world was thriving.

Out we set, into the barren world. We surveyed the area, and found the ideal place to recoup and revitalize our diminishing civilization. So, with our dreams at our feet, we packed the wagon, and headed East.

We left with- 

Will-Expert Miner
    Ted-Expert Miner
    Helen-Woodcutter Extraordinare
    Bill-Farmer 
    Shinji-Mason
    Asuka-Brewer
    And at the head of the pack, our stonecrafter, mayor, and all around hero-Rocku.

No Caption Provided

The location was good, and we surveyed it well. Our intelligence payed off. Verdant, lush forests. Bountiful and abundant crop locations, and placated wildlife. It was almost too perfect, but we were weary, and settled down.

After sometime, we had crafted the things we needed to survive. We had a working farm, brewery, furniture stores, bedrooms. Everything needed for a growing civilization. But, like all great races, this was our downfall.

The deeper we got, the more precious materials we found. After a successful expedition, we finally struck raw platinum. Finally, we could trade with outsiders, and progress!

No Caption Provided

Alas, we hit a hot spot. Being greedy, and desperate, we carried on, only to discover a magma pit, native to deadly fire imps. Sometimes, they can be passive, let people be. Not this day.

As Ted rushed in, he startled them, and brought upon the destruction of our entire race. A scream was heard down the corridors, as the smell of seared flesh rose through the cavern. Something was wrong, and we all rushed in to investigate. Smoke and ash covered the room. We were too late for him, and had already sealed our fate.

It wasn't a fight. Everyone fought valiantly, but with no martial training, weapons, or armor...it was a massacre. A civilization, gone in an instant. Walls couldn't go up fast enough, we weren't ready.

As our final valiant warrior perished, it was the end. The fortress was abandoned, and they were never heard from again.

No Caption Provided

Goodnight, sweet princes. You were the greatest Dwarfs any of us have ever known.

The moral of the story? Don't do what I did. Don't dig too deep, don't get too greedy. Or you're just fucked.
    Aas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Aas

Man, this game seems awesome, but extremely unintuitive.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Fallen189
    Aas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Aas

And here I was thinking I was hot shit 'cause I play Colonization.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Diamond

The thing that bothered me when I was playing the game is very large & important events could occur and there was no way to know what happened.  Cave ins, dwarves dying, all sorts of important things.  The AI could also end up doing some really dumb stuff that caused catastrophe.

Any of those things fixed now?

Asystole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Asystole

C'mon Fallen, tell me where those fire imps are, I don't want to meet your fate!

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fallen189
    @Asystole said:
    " C'mon Fallen, tell me where those fire imps are, I don't want to meet your fate! "
    It's on 141. Good hunting.

@Diamond said:
    " The thing that bothered me when I was playing the game is very large & important events could occur and there was no way to know what happened.  Cave ins, dwarves dying, all sorts of important things.  The AI could also end up doing some really dumb stuff that caused catastrophe.  Any of those things fixed now? "

In a way, yes. If a "Major event" happens, it pauses the game, and I'm sure there's a way to go to it. It's an alpha, however, so you need to take that into account I guess.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By eroticfishcake

I've played the first one. Oh how they perished. I think I must've spend a few hours (or at least it felt like a few hours) trying to establish a foundation for my fortress but alas the things can go horrible wrong in so many ways. I'll probably go back to it sometime.

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By KnifeySpoony

I knew this would end in a greedy tragedy.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fallen189
    @KnifeySpoony said:
    " I knew this would end in a greedy tragedy. "
    I bet if I went further, it'd be Balrog territory.
    KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By KnifeySpoony

Oh you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.