Giant Bomb Community Succession Game!

#451 Posted by Daveyo520 (6679 posts) -

And so it is finished.

#452 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

That involved altogether less lava than I'd imagined.

#453 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

That involved altogether less lava than I'd imagined.

It wasn't working well with the cold darkness.

#454 Posted by Akyho (1596 posts) -

Feels...a little......anti-climatic? Seemed overall too simple. I donno...there has been worse/better ways for a fort to go.

#455 Posted by envane (1162 posts) -

@Akyho: again .. says the guy who used his entire turn to build a giant gold dick.... :P

#456 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Akyho:

I was planning on building that maze, but by then, the will had left poor Solon. Also, again: I don't know much about Dwarf Fortress.

#457 Posted by Shofixti (146 posts) -

Well, Thus ends Shimmeroiled... Now the hard part: Figuring out a way to take all of our stories and present them in some form that isin't just a HUGE wall of text and screenshots.

#458 Posted by jesterroyal (351 posts) -

Yeah, sorry i havent finished updating that last post. It was getting so unweidly that its... insane..

#459 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Shofixti said:

Well, Thus ends Shimmeroiled.

Not quite. I've uploaded the save to a Google Docs account, in case somebody wants to see the horrors I've unleashed.

#460 Edited by Akyho (1596 posts) -

@envane said:

@Akyho: again .. says the guy who used his entire turn to build a giant gold dick.... :P

Hey! There was lack of dwarves killed on my watch. Also I had no fucking clue what a single lever did. I kept the drawbridge up and everyone was happy. I also nicened the place up.

Just because my only big project was a big dick dosnt mean it was bad.

#461 Posted by HotSauceMagik (264 posts) -

On the contrary , I think your giant golden tribute to the god of tubesteak was Shimmeroiled;s crowning (theres a joke in there somewhere) achievement.

Yeah, feels like a cheap way to go out, but at least it came to a solid end. By the way,VGK, nice writing.

Is anyone here proficient in adventure mode? I've never quite figured it out but it would be cool to head over to Shimmeroiled a hundred or so years in the future to see whats become of it. (I think you can do that, right?)

#462 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@HotSauceMagik said:

By the way,VGK, nice writing.

I was hoping it would mask the fact that I ended up locking all the dwarfs in a small room and did fuck all else. Mission somewhat accomplished? Oh, and here's the save file, courtesy of Sexyface's Google Docs account.

#463 Edited by Akyho (1596 posts) -

@HotSauceMagik said:

On the contrary , I think your giant golden tribute to the god of tubesteak was Shimmeroiled;s crowning (theres a joke in there somewhere) achievement.

Yeah, feels like a cheap way to go out, but at least it came to a solid end. By the way,VGK, nice writing.

Is anyone here proficient in adventure mode? I've never quite figured it out but it would be cool to head over to Shimmeroiled a hundred or so years in the future to see whats become of it. (I think you can do that, right?)

I might have some experience with Adventure mode. *whistles.

Most my adventures end much like that....I still have not found a fricking fort of mines yet!!!!

#464 Posted by envane (1162 posts) -

@Akyho: im just ribbing you (get it) .. if anything i was just disappointed/embarrassed that i put an inordinate amount of effort into fixing up that fort , when i really wanted to do stupid shit too , .. i wanted to use df hack and fil the entire top of the map with lava , which would appear to be lava rain for the next person who loads the game (woulda been you ? hehe) if runesmith still worked i was going to create a crazy disease that caused everyones nerves to die then slowly their organs and skin would rot , until they died from liek lack of vital organs. while this happened they would feel no pain , so it would be somethign like "akyho cancels build giant dick, locating missing limbs" "cancels locate missing limbs.. head fell off"

i wanted to create a timer system too to breach hell at an unsuspecting moment , THATS what the power generator was for , powering a fluid logic obsidian generator based timer that would create and deploy an obsidian spike that would pierce a floored over adamantine pipe into hell .

but i instead opted to stop everyone from dying miserably and tantruming etc ... which in the long run i was a bit dissapointed too that VGK could only lock them in a room... if he had payed attention he coudl have removed the floor above or wall next to the well area , and with a bit of pressure from a water pump (plenty of power for that ) basicly given the entire fort an enema

its cool tho , my current fort is doing well , with the power of hax i have a necromancer as part of my army now , very useful .. and slowly turniong everyone into vampires with the help of a vampire dwarf thats been caused to bleed a bit , in the forts only water source .. have a contingient of immortal lever pullers with no friends so they dont get lonely , creating perfect clock generators for my scienceeeeeeeeeeee

playing with a bay12 forum members 3d printer idea , but im just using it as a way of deploying obsidian from the sky. with pressure plates and stuff in the wilderness , when somethign sets it off it gets stuck in obsidian walled off area , or crushed b y the obsidian , either way fairly effective

this has been a looong but fun ride .. im sure its within the realm of most succession games lengths , im surprised anyone is still following it hehe , may we learn from our mistakes if we are to do this again . :)

#465 Posted by Akyho (1596 posts) -

@envane said:

@Akyho: i wanted to create a timer system too to breach hell at an unsuspecting moment , THATS what the power generator was for , powering a fluid logic obsidian generator based timer that would create and deploy an obsidian spike that would pierce a floored over adamantine pipe into hell .

See.....this is why I never pulled any lever.....wish I had pulled more levers now.

#466 Posted by SpaceBoat (173 posts) -

You just know that eons in the future, advanced civilization is going to uncover the mines within that mountain and wonder what happened. Then, years later, surely someone will uncover the locked room filled to the brim with dwarven corpses.

#467 Posted by envane (1162 posts) -

if anyone wants to keep playing , you could always start a new succession based on a reclaim , im sure alot of ppl are done with it , me too mostly , but id still support a reclaim for the glory of shimmercocks

all in all it was a good learning experience for me as i usualy just play the fuck out of it but have a hard time making a story out of "i just came and min maxed the shit out of everything" thats just the way i play things , rather clinical and perfectionisty (thats a terrible made up word eheh)

#468 Posted by Zombie_Shakespeare (132 posts) -

A hard lesson.

The hardest.

Rest your souls, little Dorfs. You are at peace now. Sort of.

#469 Posted by HotSauceMagik (264 posts) -

So whats next? New game or take some time off?

#470 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Zombie_Shakespeare said:

Rest your souls, little Dorfs. You are at peace now. Sort of.

I beg to differ.
#471 Posted by Shofixti (146 posts) -

I was going to make a huge update today where I organized things in some semblance worthy of a community spotlight, but then my professor handed me a 47 page assignment.

#472 Posted by Sankis (64 posts) -

Finally mostly caught up. You don't know how pleased I am that my statue got finished and had a golden dick.

#473 Edited by Shofixti (146 posts) -

It's my dream to someday see this on the Community Spotlight...

But present circumstance at school and work mostly forbids me from making any attempts at that. If somebody else could work towards that end, I would be most grateful. We just need to find a manageable way to present this whole story.

#474 Edited by Akyho (1596 posts) -

@Shofixti said:

It's my dream to someday see this on the Community Spotlight...

But present circumstance at school and work mostly forbids me from making any attempts at that. If somebody else could work towards that end, I would be most grateful. We just need to find a manageable way to present this whole story.

Why not combine both! Hand in the community spotlight as your work!! As Os!

@Sankis said:

Finally mostly caught up. You don't know how pleased I am that my statue got finished and had a golden dick.

You can also live INSIDE your golden dick. I was contemplating putting a slit of Gemed windows on the end.....I thought it might be too obscene, and Dwarfs hate daylight!

Besides you have some nice square golden balls too. just under the base.

#475 Posted by jesterroyal (351 posts) -

We could call it "A tale of two dicks"

#476 Posted by RichyHahn4 (35 posts) -

Hello, I'm fairly new to the site but I play this game from time to time...still trying to learn it...I was wondering if anyone was still interested in keeping these forums active or anything.

#477 Posted by Daveyo520 (6679 posts) -

@RichyHahn4: AM I SEEING THE START OF A NEW SUCCESSION GAME?! I think I am...not. Ya probably not. Would be cool to do again though.

#478 Posted by envane (1162 posts) -

oh god damn way to get my hopes up

#479 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Daveyo520 said:

@RichyHahn4: AM I SEEING THE START OF A NEW SUCCESSION GAME?! I think I am...not. Ya probably not.

I made sure to that.

#480 Posted by Daveyo520 (6679 posts) -

@envane: @Video_Game_King: @RichyHahn4: So you guys want to start another one?

#481 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Daveyo520:

Hell no. I have too many Steam games to blast through.

#482 Posted by Daveyo520 (6679 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: As do I.... Well never mind then.

#483 Posted by envane (1162 posts) -

@Daveyo520: ehh .. i dunno .. of course i would .. but at the same time .. do we need to ? i mean if you want to share your experiences or co-operate on a saved game etc then cant we just do that without making a hullabaloo

#484 Posted by RichyHahn4 (35 posts) -

Ill gladly support the idea of a new one...one I actually learn more of the game

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.