Giant Bomb Community Succession Game!

#101 Edited by Daveyo520 (7138 posts) -

This is not an uneventful session that is for sure. Quite eventful indeed.

#102 Posted by jesterroyal (366 posts) -

Tease.

#103 Edited by HotSauceMagik (264 posts) -

I have to assume all that gold is going to send the gobbos storming the grande entrance of Shimmeroiled right quick. WHICH MEANS MOAR FUN!

You using a tileset?

#104 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

@HotSauceMagik: That's my worry. We're getting so much gold, that we're probably rich even though we haven't done much. I would imagine we'll get a huge group of immigrants, and as you said, goblins. I didn't train a single military dwarf, so good luck with that.

#105 Posted by Seaborgium (100 posts) -

@BoG said:

@HotSauceMagik: That's my worry. We're getting so much gold, that we're probably rich even though we haven't done much. I would imagine we'll get a huge group of immigrants, and as you said, goblins. I didn't train a single military dwarf, so good luck with that.

We could always lock it down and let the problems eliminate one another. At the very least, the migrants will keep the goblins happy until traders come to clear them out.

#106 Posted by Shofixti (146 posts) -

@Seaborgium said:

@BoG said:

We could always lock it down and let the problems eliminate one another. At the very least, the migrants will keep the goblins happy until traders come to clear them out.

We can try and create a self sustaining ecosystem of goblins, immigrants and traders outside the fort!

#107 Posted by Daveyo520 (7138 posts) -

@HotSauceMagik: I am indeed, Ironhand.

#108 Posted by Akyho (1713 posts) -

@Shofixti said:

A message has been sent to Daveyo! his turn officially begins at Midnight tonight. (So yeah, he has some extra time. thank BoG for that!)

I would also like to point out that my avatar looks like he could be a sentient Coati

I don't think a suicidal Shofixti with a "glory device" fits the description. We Ilwrath are sick of it!

I only just now realized that your image was from Star Control 2. awesome game.

#109 Posted by HotSauceMagik (264 posts) -

So is it bad form in a succession game to ask how progress is coming along?

#110 Posted by Daveyo520 (7138 posts) -

@HotSauceMagik: It is coming. In winter now. Almost done.

#111 Posted by SpaceBoat (175 posts) -

Here's to hoping the fortress lives long enough to dig into the reserve pool. Always a fan of building huge megaprojects with copious amounts of gold.

The name of the fortress is evoking memories of a fort I passed around with my friends, Stokeroil. Though we never did figure out if it was stoke-roil or stoker-oil. That fortress tore itself apart after a few years of incredible disorganization.

#112 Posted by Shofixti (146 posts) -

If the story itself turns out really well, I think I'll try and put it into picture/comic form. Though that's a really long way away...

#113 Posted by Daveyo520 (7138 posts) -

Ok my year is done. I just need to write something up and post it tomorrow.

#114 Posted by Video_Game_King (36271 posts) -

Man, this is proceeding far more quickly than I possibly imagined. Maybe I should play the game and figure out what it's like.

#115 Edited by Daveyo520 (7138 posts) -
#116 Posted by Video_Game_King (36271 posts) -

@Daveyo520:

To be fair, I was very clear about what I was going to be like with this game: clearly clueless and highly destructive to the overall project. That's why I chose to be last: go out with a massive explosion.

#117 Posted by Daveyo520 (7138 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Well it will be an interesting way to go.

#118 Posted by Bropira (3 posts) -

Would love to get in on this action! Sign me up for the reserves! Currently learning the game by reading the book/wikki and youtube tutorials. Already lost my first fortress within the year due to a zombie attack...grrr.

#119 Posted by Seaborgium (100 posts) -

I'm ready.

#120 Posted by Shofixti (146 posts) -

@Bropira said:

Would love to get in on this action! Sign me up for the reserves! Currently learning the game by reading the book/wikki and youtube tutorials. Already lost my first fortress within the year due to a zombie attack...grrr.

Aye, added to Reserves

#121 Posted by envane (1164 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: well ... if you want to actually make an impact on the fort , you might wanna know what you're doing .. since its still difficult to fuck shit up intentionally if you aren't aware ..

ill laugh if your turn ends up being nothing but watching the dwarves run around ignoring your orders

#122 Posted by Video_Game_King (36271 posts) -

@envane:

They can ignore my orders? I SHALL REIGN GREAT TERROR UPON THEM!!!....Once I play the game, of course. That may have to wait for Sunday, though, because I'm sitting on a rather quick blog for tomorrow.

#123 Posted by envane (1164 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: at least if it gets to my turn ill leave you some levers to pull with interesting effects hehe .. but you may want to practice some demoralizing tactics and how to flood / pump water and magma into areas , how to use death squads , all while keeping things runnign enough for dwarves to actually be able to complete your chaotic plans

the craziest thing ive ever done is rigged a fortress to collapse entirely into the underworld, with 200 dwarves , and dropping a massive load of magma and water onto of them to form an obsidian plug .. most died in the crash but the survivors clambered to gather any undestroyed goods and survive for the limited time they could before !fun! came to claim them .. the reclaim for that fort was pretty !fun! too.

#124 Posted by Akyho (1713 posts) -

@envane said:

@Video_Game_King: at least if it gets to my turn ill leave you some levers to pull with interesting effects hehe .. but you may want to practice some demoralizing tactics and how to flood / pump water and magma into areas , how to use death squads , all while keeping things runnign enough for dwarves to actually be able to complete your chaotic plans

the craziest thing ive ever done is rigged a fortress to collapse entirely into the underworld, with 200 dwarves , and dropping a massive load of magma and water onto of them to form an obsidian plug .. most died in the crash but the survivors clambered to gather any undestroyed goods and survive for the limited time they could before !fun! came to claim them .. the reclaim for that fort was pretty !fun! too.

Its theoretically possible....However I never thought such a thing could happen...next task. Make such a thing less destructive and more mechanical, so you can rise and lower the entire fortress!

I have such plans for my turn..I cant wait.

#125 Posted by Daveyo520 (7138 posts) -

In the middle of writing things up.

#126 Edited by Daveyo520 (7138 posts) -

BoG set up the fort extremely well and I thank him for giving me a fort in great shape. Here is what happened under my watch.

What the fort looked liked when I got it.

I have been tasked with running a up and coming colony away from the Mountain Homes known as Shimmeroiled. I do not know why the previous leader had to give up his post but I am confident in my abilities to take over where he left off. When I arrived I was surprised to see many things were set up outside, which I have not seen done at any Dwarven settlement I have ever been to. But when I enter I discovered the wonders this place holds, gold. So much gold. The place is packed with it. I will be rich, I mean we all shall be rich.

First thing first, move everything inside. What kind of Dwarf lives outside? As my first act as Overseer I ordered walls to be built around the depot to make things more secure and to have all the stockpiles moved from outside indoors. It seems no one knew that animals needed grass to eat so I rushed to get them into a pasture outside. Sadly a young yak calf died before I was able to save it, but we now have a place for grazing animals to stay.

First birth of the New Year

Mazel tov! Rith, our woodcutter gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. While I did not actually deliver the baby myself, that was our lovely female doctor Dodok (how progressive), I was there in spirit and trust she will look up to me as she grows under my rule. In mid spring we had more migrants! How wonderful, under my watch this fortress is growing gloriously. 25 new souls, more than doubling what I was originally assigned to watch over. A weaker Dwarf would find this slightly problomatic but I am sure I can handle it.

Since I was tasked by my predecessor to build an army and now that I have expen...willing souls I shall do such a thing. It shall be the greatest military force in all of Dwarfdom and they shall be known as The Scorching Constructs (They came up with the name, don't ask me).

I spoke too soon. We are doomed. Before our fine soldiers even came together as a squad a monstrous beast appeared. The terrifying Werelizard Cilko Ebbakpos has come for us and I have no idea if we will survive. For the first time in my life I truly know fear, may Armok help us. I am ushering everyone I can to a burrow underground to save as many as I can. I shall let our brave Dwarves and Lady Dwarves in the armed forces train on the job. Without any weapons...

Human scum and the loss of our first Dwarf. May he rest in peace.

The monster was a human! He killed our ranger and turned into a dirty human! What are the humans doing where they let one of their own turn into a monster and come to kill my citizens? They will pay. The memory of Tobul Urvaddolush shall live on in the halls of Shimmeroiled for all time. Sadly Cilko got away before he could be killed. I hope he does not come back because I do not know if will be ready for his return. And not even a moment after people were let out of the burrow did a dwarf become possessed and claim a Craftdwarf's workshop. So much mayhem. He did end up making a lovely scepter though.

What will he build?
This

THIEF!!!!

Can we not get a moment of peace? Thankfully he was quickly taken care of. Our military proved itself on its first time in real combat and gained much needed experience. Though they could still use more, I don't know how they will fair against a invading Goblin army. Too bad they don't like to train...

For a while there I thought every thing was fine but something far worse than we had yet to experience showed up.

Elves. The thought of their pointy ears and hippie nature disgusts me. They think they are so much better than us just because they don't require step ladders to reach the top shelf. Since all of the goods we had to trade were made of wood I could give them nothing without inquiring a war which I do not want and am not ready to fight. I could not even give them gold because they did not have enough room to carry it. I was happy to see the tree huggers leave and hope the next caravan is more accepting of our wares. I will have to speed up rock craft construction so they will give us the time of day without begin disgusted next time they visit.

In mid summer we got even more migrants. 12 this time. And we had another birth, this time the doctor delivered her own baby. Quite impressive.

Today one of the population has been stuck with a fey mood. He was blabbing and acting very strange when all of a sudden he commandeered a carpenter shop and will not let anyone in and will not leave. I have no idea why he needs it or what he is doing but I hope it is for a good reason.

Another birth and even more migrants! 10 this time. Under my rule Shimmeroiled is growing and becoming an extremely prosperous settlement. They shall raise me though the ages as one of our people's greatest leaders and for that I think I need a tomb to celebrate my life after I leave this world.

My modest tomb on the left with BoG's beneath it.

No no no no no! We could not get Sakzul what he wanted and he has gone madly insane and is attacking people! Why do such things have to happen under my watch?! Oh Armok no... He has killed a baby... How could this have happened? A poor innocent baby, dead, just because he could not find some stupid item. So senseless. Thankfully our military took care of him before he could take any more innocent lives.

He got most of his teeth knocked out before he was taken down

Finally a real caravan of hearty fellow Dwarves has shown up. We can get the things we need and don't have to worry about giving them wood.

Before they even get to the trade depot a Goblin snatcher showed up! Goblins are such foul creatures, almost as bad as the Elves.

He stole the doctors baby! Thankfully our hunter was near by and killed the Goblin and reunited mother and child. It must have been a harrowing experience for them both. Thankfully the traders helped by giving us some much needed booze and a lot of food. They even traded us a handful of military equipment though we still need much more to have them well equipped.

As soon as winter starts another Goblin snatcher comes to try and steal our children and when we scare him off another one appears! Why do they want to give our fort such stress? We have already lost one infant and have had another child kidnapped already even if for a short time. Even a kobold thief comes! When will they leave us alone?!

I have been thinking of the crazy carpenter incident and have decided it could have been handled much better. So I have decided to make a jail room and appoint a sheriff. I hope in the future the peace can be kept and any events that happen within the fort can be taken care of without lose of life.

It seems during a fight, I have no idea which, one of the militia hurt their foot, so I am building a hospital. Sadly it is not fully stocked or really up to snuff in most ways. We do have a Chief Medical Dwarf at least.

The crazy carpenter turned into a ghost!

It chopped off Zulgar the potash maker's leg off! Can this damned carpenter not leave us alone?! Has he not already done enough damage in his life and now he needs to terrorize us in death. Good thing we have a doctor on staff to help him. After Sakzul killed that young helpless baby Dwarf I did not think he deserved a proper burial so I left him to rot in a corpse pile, but it seems even the unjust deserve more than that. I did not want to do it but I placed his body in a coffin to help ease his soul. Thankfully he was put to rest before he could hurt anyone else.

The coati has been taken care of. I did not think it was possible but I did it. Even back in the mountain homes I heard tails of this monstrous beast. Children were told about it during ghost stories, bards sung of it as cautionary tales, it was the stuff nightmares were made of. I admit it now, even I was afraid of it before I took this job, I was strongly considering not coming here. I ended up putting it in the back of my mind believing that it could possibly not be real. It however was and not its blood covers the walls and ground leading to the trade depot there for all to see. I shall be heralded as a hero across all of the Dwarven kingdoms. Some skeptics may claim that there is no body and that just because there is blood everywhere that it is not dead but to them I say how could a creature lose so much blood and survive? Others may say that I was not the one that actually fought the beast but it happened under my orders and under my rule and I should get as much credit as those soldiers that gave the final killing blow.

The year is coming to an end and with it my time here as Overseer. I do not know how much more stress I can take and I have decided to step down at the start of spring. I am sure the Mountain Homes can send a suitable replacement. I think I am going to stick around though but as a miner with the other former leader BoG, it seems like a nice way to spend retirement. At the end of my reign we had four more babies born, many of the parents I am sure looked at me and were spurred to love under my prosperous rule. As my final act I appointed a book keeper to keep track of all our stocks which I am sure will come in handy for my replacement.

____

That was fun. Some people died, 3 in total, but the fort survived. I hope I gave Seaborgium enough to work with and that everything is ok for him. Some things that I think still need to be done.

1. BoG's tomb still needs a gold statue. Sorry BoG
  2. The military needs to train more and get better equipped. Goblins are coming.
  3. The hospital needs to be stocked.
  4. Some of the workshops could be better organized and some are not completed yet.
  5. Many more beds and doors need to be made for the 2nd floor bedrooms. The upstairs ones still need cabinets and things still need to be smoothed and engraved.
  6. Other stuff I am sure.

Here is what the fort looked like at the end.

Floor One
Floor Two

There is a 3rd floor but it really just has the jail on it.

Good luck!

#127 Posted by envane (1164 posts) -

@Akyho: moving fortress parts with mechanics and such will eventually be in the game , for now is just cave ins and obsidian moulding :/

#128 Posted by envane (1164 posts) -

@Daveyo520: great turn hehe , looked a bit dull to start with but it sure got crazy fast eheh .. dang violent ghost :(

i cant tell by the picture but there seems to be some super long paths for dwarves , need to centralize more around a center staircase .. owhell ... im sure theres plenty of time for design , if the goblins dont crush us

#129 Posted by Shofixti (146 posts) -

Well done Daveyo! here's to hoping we see more of that werelizard.

I've received his world file and will post it for shortly. His turn officially begins at midnight tonight!

#130 Posted by Daveyo520 (7138 posts) -

@envane: Yeah the stairs could be put in better spots for sure.

@Shofixti: Thanks.

#131 Posted by HotSauceMagik (264 posts) -

And so continues the saga of the Shimmeroiled. What started as a modest cave turned out to be a literal gold mine. Soaked in riches, our little troopers have successfully carved out a home and defended it from what is sure to be just the blood stained tip of a very large spear. Whats next for Shimmeroiled? Only Armok can say for sure. Stay tuned for

#132 Posted by Daveyo520 (7138 posts) -

@HotSauceMagik: We have gone from 17 Dwarves to 63, I am sure it is only going to go up faster in the future.

#133 Posted by Shofixti (146 posts) -

I'm curious to see where Seaborgium goes with this next... It's growing quite fast and might become difficult to manage soon.

#134 Posted by envane (1164 posts) -

@Daveyo520: thats just all the greedy bastards that heard about the fort made of gold , the migrants will slow when they find out what other horrors lie in wait for them

#135 Posted by Daveyo520 (7138 posts) -

@Shofixti: That is what happens when the walls are literally made of gold lol.

#136 Posted by Seaborgium (100 posts) -

So I guess I've been assigned to Shimmeroiled. I was retired, but hey, the sunshine was running low and the pay was good. Said the place was littered with gold, and that I could have my share of the riches, no strings attached. Well, I did some poking around. Turns out there's a bunsoth coati in the place, they have ghost problems, and their children are being actively stolen by goblin thieves. No strings attached, huh? What a bunch of zagstok. Not like I've got anything better to do, though.

It's been years since I've managed a fortress, probably due to the whole.... well, it's been years since I've managed a fortress. First things first, let's take a look at the personnel records.

Could use a bit of cleaning up. Looks like the previous overseers met the migrants with open arms. In a mature fortress I'd start to suspect that the overseer was a no-good elf-lover, but it's only our third year; I can keep them busy.

That's better.

The fortress is a little disorganized as well. The first level has: A bunch of bedrooms (minimal and noble), many scattered workshops (including a small farm), a dining room, some tombs, and a bunch of stockpiles. I'm thinking that the second level will be the living area. I'll expand the bedrooms and we can start moving the rest of the migrant scum there. I'll make a nice dining room as well, keep the dwarves happy - once they're ecstatic we can start systematically butchering their pets, reduce the potential of tantrum spiraling and petsplosions and such. Later on I can build out some noble rooms.

I'll clear out a big workshop space on the third level and start moving the workshops there, too. Other than that, the previous overseer left a to-do list, which I'll work on.

It looks like everyone is practicing some kind of mass tableau vivant right now (I hear it's very big in the Mountainhomes). They've just been standing stock-still for the past few hours while I've been going through this paperwork. I'm done with the basic planning, though, so I'd better get up and tell them all to get to work.

#137 Posted by jesterroyal (366 posts) -

I'll upload your comments to the main story of shimmeroiled as you post them. If you want any sort of formatting between posts or such just let me know.

#138 Posted by Shofixti (146 posts) -

@Seaborgium: Good call starting up with some organizational work. Your going to need it!

#139 Posted by Video_Game_King (36271 posts) -

Hmm, pretty good story. I'll have to have bring me up to speed when his turn is done. Don't worry; I'll incorporate that into my part of the narrative.

#140 Posted by Seaborgium (100 posts) -

After having a chat with Davey, I decided to start building up our military. It seemed that our military dwarves were simply sitting around. I believe the problem was that for some reason, they didn't understand that the barracks was meant for them, despite their being the only military squad in the fortress. I assigned the barracks to the Scorching Constructs, told them to start a training schedule, and they promptly began to train correctly.

The liason came. I can't think of much that we need, but I asked him to bring some food, as well as fuel and metal for our metalsmithing industry. They said that they wanted various things as well; the main products that we can easily provide are cut gems, figurines, and goblets.

A lowly hauler, Zuglar, was suddenly struck by a strange mood. We rejoiced when he created a turquoise cage, instantly making him a legendary gem cutter, and promptly ordered him to get to work cutting the scores of gems that the miners have uncovered.

A snatcher appeared! Fortunately, we were prepared for him.

AFTER HIM!

...uh-oh.

After an intense battle, our squad triumphed over the goblin snatcher with a mere six dwarves lying incapacitated on the battlefield. Glory to the Scorching Constructs!

Unfortunately, we now have to deal with the aftermath. The hospital situation is in complete chaos. Our only doctor is on break. Our mechanic is too busy loading stonefall traps to build the traction benches we need. Dwarves aren't building hospital beds because they're hauling cabinets or doors. The injured are wasting away in the barracks; weeks after the battle, one injured dwarf remains on the battlefield, unable to move, with not a single dwarf willing to carry him in.

And now we have another kobold thief. Great, guess I'd better send the Scorching Constructs after him again. Let's hope he doesn't slaughter what's left of them.

Armok, the one dwarf left on the battlefield with a broken leg is trying to hobble after him. Well, he escaped, so no harm done, I guess.

Well, I managed to draft some haulers as makeshift doctors, and the soldiers have apparently healed. Nevertheless, they still have broken limbs and infections which will probably kill them, in time.

There was a fairly uneventful period following this. Some elven traders arrived. I asked the broker to trade and ordered him not to do anything else, but he decided to spend his time partying, drinking, and taking breaks until the traders finally decided to leave. I ordered that the trade depot be deconstructed so that we could nevertheless relieve the elven traders of their burden. Now the traders appear to be sitting here without leaving, preventing us from building a new trade depot.

I did, however, manage to requisition a few golden statues, two of which I've placed in the future tomb of our dear founder, BoG. I've also constructed an enormous amount of bedrooms underground. These should provide for a slightly safer living area for all the peasantry.

Something strange is happening with the farmers. My records show that we have nearly two hundred plump helmet spawn, but both the farmers refuse to plant any plump helmets. This is very strange. We have run out of booze, which is a serious problem. It could be a problem with how many seed bags we have. Hopefully my successor will be able to rectify the farm situation.

A number of goblin snatchers arrived throughout the year. Fearful of a repeat of the previous snatcher incident, I let them steal our babies freely. We have enough of a population as it is, anyhow. On that note, I've been noticing a troubling increase in the number of idlers throughout the fortress. My advisors assure me that without work to do, the dwarves will surely turn to hooliganism. To nip this problem in the bud, I've recruited a large stone-detailing force, and drafted a second military squad and converted half of the dining room into a barracks.

We've been ambushed!

The goblins are absolutely slaughtering us. Several dwarves were struck down while drinking at the pools of water outside. They never stood a chance.

I've ordered every dwarf inside. I've built a fair number of traps; hopefully they'll slow the goblins down. The merchants have some guards with them as well.

I'll order the miners to dig a channel in the main entrance. If all else fails, we'll have sealed ourselves inside. Only problem is, with the farming problems we've had, we'll soon starve to death.

The military are disobeying orders and leaving the fortress to drink! They're running straight into death. I've decommissioned every last dwarf; hopefully that'll keep them inside.

The goblins are at the gates. Armok preserve us.

#141 Posted by Seaborgium (100 posts) -

I've saved the game for now. Any advice on saving our collective dwarven skins?

#142 Posted by Daveyo520 (7138 posts) -

I am ashamed to say I did not know I needed to assign them to a barracks >< I did think they would just use it.

#143 Edited by Shofixti (146 posts) -

Holy crap! Could it be over already? Perhaps what we could do is seal off the outside world and start farming indoors... Also, maybe do some strategic cleansing of the population as a token of appeasement to the Goblins?

#144 Posted by Video_Game_King (36271 posts) -

@Shofixti said:

Also, maybe do some strategic cleansing of the population as a token of appeasement to the Goblins?

I honestly can't tell if that's a joke or an actual gameplay mechanic. Maybe I should stop drafting the set-up to my turn?

#145 Posted by Shofixti (146 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Shofixti said:

Also, maybe do some strategic cleansing of the population as a token of appeasement to the Goblins?

I honestly can't tell if that's a joke or an actual gameplay mechanic. Maybe I should stop drafting the set-up to my turn?

Well it's a good way to keep the number of mouths to feed down... I doubt it would appease anyone really, but maybe some lucky bastard will take a few Goblins down with him

#146 Posted by Seaborgium (100 posts) -

We could totally move inside, except for that bizarre farming thing. I don't understand it - the farmers will plant a few tiles, and then stop completely, complaining about how we have no plump helmet spawn when we're practically wading in it. Maybe I'll try demolishing and rebuilding the farm.

#147 Edited by Shofixti (146 posts) -

@Seaborgium: This sounds like a really familiar problem. I think I've seen it on the help thread here.

Edit: Here it is:

@gladspooky said:

@isnipeyoudie said:

So, after getting my fort up and running for a year, I started running into the problem of farmers no longer planting seeds- it simply says that they need the appropriate seed, when it says I have around 140 of that type of seed in my kitchen, two floors down. Why won't they plant anything when I have a barrel full of the damn seeds?

It's a bug. Make a small stockpile next to your farm with no barrels activated. Seed barrels apparently confuse dwarves.

#148 Posted by Seaborgium (100 posts) -

Hm. The stockpile next to the farm already had no barrels activated, I think - but it's possible that there are some barrels full of plump helmet spawn hiding out somewhere. I'll look into it.

#149 Posted by Daveyo520 (7138 posts) -

@Seaborgium: Ya maybe banish seeds from all other stock piles. I thought the seed stockpile next to the farm would take care of the problem but I guess I was wrong.

#150 Posted by onarum (2386 posts) -

Ah damn I'm spot 11 ;P, I'll be lucky if i get to play at all, plus I'm planning on going in completely blind for my run(not reading any of the stories until after I'm finished), it should be interesting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.