Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dwarf Fortress

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Aug 08, 2006

Dwarf Fortress is a single-player, high fantasy simulation game in the style of old ASCII Roguelikes. You can control either a Dwarven clan attempting to build a settlement or a single adventurer in a randomly generated and persistent world complete with its own unique history.

Is this game for me?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I am tempted to get this game. I LOVE minecraft and was told it was sort of like that. Any suggestions? Maybe stuff I should know before playing?  

O and whats the difference between 

Legacy and SDL?  

And what mods can be suggested? Like graphics ones? I have been looking around and wanna know what mods the GB duders suggest. 

Cabbage_TheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Cabbage_TheMan
    @The_Laughing_Man: I don't use any mods.  I find it to be quite rewarding to play the game so much that you understand the graphics.  And with the recent updates I think they made things like farming easier.  I would definitely check this game out if you like Minecraft.  If you don't like it, at least it was free!
    phonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By phonics

Dwarf Fortress is a strategy game, Minecraft is holding the LMB and building square huts afterwards. Learning Dwarf Fortress takes a lot of effort and time unlike Minecraft which anyone on earth can pick up and play.

ShadowMarth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By ShadowMarth

@Tetsuo: On the contrary, it's if like Minecraft had dozens of people running around that you control. Once you get acquainted with its weirdness, you can have the same fun of building crazy shit, even moreso because there's more shit to do.

Learn without mods for your first fort. Then pick up Dwarf Therapist when you feel you're ready to make your second (usually because your first is a goddamned peice of shit with swiss cheese defenses and starving dwarves and you know how to do it much better now). Tilesets are up to you, but learn the base game first.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Daveyo520

Well it is similar to Minecraft in that you can build interesting things and if you get crazy you can build really complicated things.

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jesterroyal

@ShadowMarth: Be careful with necromancy. This thread was nearly a year dead. Just a heads up.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MikeGosot

Download The Lazy Newb Pa-- Oh, necrothread.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By UnrealDP

This thread might be necro'd, but it's pretty topical.

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jesterroyal

Its topical for sure. I just don't think Tetsuo cares anymore. (.. he might though?) I think its the perfect place for people to ask this question for sure.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.