Face Exp, Triad Exp, and Cop Exp? What do I wear on missions?

#1 Posted by golguin (3965 posts) -

I've noticed that that blue missions give both face and police exp. I don't remember what the green and yellow ones give, but I think I remember that they were a mix. I went on a buying spree and bought a 5% increase set for the police and triad. I also have a necklace and watch that increases face. How do I know how to dress before a mission? Are they always the same in regards to how they give exp? What about the fighting clubs?

#2 Posted by Kidavenger (3582 posts) -

Triad is the hardest one to fill out by far.

#3 Posted by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -

Triad's the hardest, since you don't really have side missions to fill it up. You have to wreck serious shit during story missions to fill it up.

#4 Posted by vikingdeath1 (982 posts) -

yeah just wear the Triad clothes at all time if you really wanna get it up.

#5 Edited by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -

There is a bit of an imbalance in available exp in the game. There are way more opportunities to boost your cop exp than there are to boost triad, which mostly only comes from triad story missions (which are red markers, iirc?). I used all the best Exp Boost suits I had access to, all the time, and I only maxed triad out around the last mission. If you don't want to miss out on the end of the triad skill tree, make sure to use the suits. The better suits (+15%) are only available at higher Face levels, too, so use the Face boosting accessories and keep an eye out for random encounter missions (which boost Face) to get access to them ASAP. Finally, always fight properly as opposed to running people over in cars or whatever. Get stuck in and use the range of melee techniques at your disposal, since your triad exp also improves this way.

#6 Posted by golguin (3965 posts) -

@Laivasse said:

There is a bit of an imbalance in available exp in the game. There are way more opportunities to boost your cop exp than there are to boost triad, which mostly only comes from triad story missions (which are red markers, iirc?). I used all the best Exp Boost suits I had access to, all the time, and I only maxed triad out around the last mission. If you don't want to miss out on the end of the triad skill tree, make sure to use the suits. The better suits (+15%) are only available at higher Face levels, too, so use the Face boosting accessories and keep an eye out for random encounter missions (which boost Face) to get access to them ASAP. Finally, always fight properly as opposed to running people over in cars or whatever. Get stuck in and use the range of melee techniques at your disposal, since your triad exp also improves this way.

So then I should try to look for missions that boost face in order to buy the clothes to boost my triad exp? Where do I find face missions to boost them?

#7 Posted by AlisterCat (5633 posts) -

Triad is the hardest to fill by far, and probably won't be full by the end of the game but it really doesn't matter. Seriously. Wear whatever you want and enjoy the game. Don't worry about the points. You can easily get by.

#8 Edited by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -

@golguin: I think races increase your Face. However, I wouldn't bother with the A Class races until later, since you're blowing money if you buy an A class vehicle before you get the big discount suit. Other than that, it's yellow marker missions on the map like random encounters; you'll see people calling for you, 'Hei Wei!' as you go around, but otherwise you can't know where they are without a guide.

There might be another obvious way to build up Face, but it's been a while since I played. I wouldn't worry about going too far out of your way to build your Face level, you can mostly just plough through the game and buy stuff as you discover it.

#9 Posted by believer258 (11992 posts) -

I didn't fill up much of the Cop or Face bars...

#10 Posted by GaspoweR (3171 posts) -

Well, this thread kinda answered the same question I had as the OP. Thanks to the OP and everyone who responded.

Also: are some of the Jade Statues also story-locked? I noticed that a few were in locations that I have no way of accessing for some reason. Some location examples are the boat/gambling den, apartment, and the gated house within a compound.

#11 Posted by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -

@GaspoweR said:

Also: are some of the Jade Statues also story-locked? I noticed that a few were in locations that I have no way of accessing for some reason. Some location examples are the boat/gambling den, apartment, and the gated house within a compound.

Yep, some are story locked. The ones you mentioned might be all of them, but it's been a while, like I say.

In case anyone doesn't know, one of the girlfriend perks reveals Jade Statues on the map, but even the story-locked ones show up, so that can be confusing. The game also drops big hints with some of them by featuring them in the background of cutscenes.

#12 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2025 posts) -

Don't worry about the points. You'll have enough face and cop experience chances, and the triad tree requires fucking everything up in triad missions to get a good score. I regularly got 2 stars at the end and had enough points to get to the second to last skill, and the game is still my GOTY.

@GaspoweR: Yes, some are story-locked. I also had an interesting bug where an "extra" Jade statue was mysteriously hidden underneath the freeway.

#13 Edited by GaspoweR (3171 posts) -

@Laivasse said:

@golguin: I think races increase your Face. However, I wouldn't bother with the A Class races until later, since you're blowing money if you buy an A class vehicle before you get the big discount suit. Other than that, it's yellow marker missions on the map like random encounters; you'll see people calling for you, 'Hei Wei!' as you go around, but otherwise you can't know where they are without a guide.

There might be another obvious way to build up Face, but it's been a while since I played. I wouldn't worry about going too far out of your way to build your Face level, you can mostly just plough through the game and buy stuff as you discover it.

My face level is actually pretty high up now. I did buy two A-class vehicles though, a car (Velocita) and a bike (G300? forgot the number) for the races. I regained a lot of cash through hijacking vehicles for Teng and later on hi-jacking armored vans. I also completed the martial arts fight quests to build more face.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.