I got a real Bully vibe from this game.

#1 Edited by Serpentenema (219 posts) -

Since I got a job, one of the first purchases I made was Sleeping Dogs. I have wanted to get it for a while now, and at the price of 34 bucks I pounced on it. This seemed less like grand theft auto and saints row like many people have pitched it. The one sandbox game that I could compare it to was Bully. Like the worlds in both games weren't huge, but I thought they were really dense in detail and personality, and I also got the same enjoyment from the combat via tackling dudes, throwing them downstairs, and less reliance on weapons. What do you dudes think?

#2 Posted by cannonballBAM (609 posts) -

@Serpentenema:

#3 Edited by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -
#4 Posted by Serpentenema (219 posts) -

@DharmaBum: That explains a lot. I am surprised I haven't heard bully come up whenever people talk about sleeping dogs.

#5 Posted by notdavid (842 posts) -

So Sleeping Dogs is a Hong Kong themed follow up to Bully? Why didn't anyone tell me about this?! Who do I throw my money at?

#6 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

Nothing can beat a Bully 2, no matter if something has a vibe or is a spiritual successor.

In fact none of my favorite Rockstar games have had a sequel. The Warriors, Bully, and Red Dead Revolver (I don't count Redemption as a sequel, just a western game that shared the name)

#7 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

Same lead designer as Bully? I suddenly feel much better about my purchase of the game (haven't played it yet). Indeed, it is strange that I've not heard mention of this until now.

#8 Posted by Serpentenema (219 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook: I loved The Warriors, I played co-op campaign with my brother all the time in that game. Like even if nothing can beat a bully 2, it is the closest thing we will get for a while, and I really reccomend picking it up.

@FluxWaveZ: And you will notice now how the leg sweep and the grabs looks like it is straight from bully.

#9 Posted by Ksaw (353 posts) -

Definitely with the combat yeah. I realized when I was tackling everybody I wanted to fight that the fighting system was very similar. The new moves are introduced in a similar way too, with you fetching items for a character and them showing you new moves in return.

#10 Posted by Serpentenema (219 posts) -

@Ksaw: Replace the hobo parts with jade statues

#11 Posted by ki11tank (683 posts) -

its an awesome game, could buy it for $18 on pc via amazon and put it on your steam games just this weekend, might still be going.... google it or look in sleeping dogs forum.

#12 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Wow. I actually played every game listed on his profile, except for Sleeping Dogs. If I would have remembered that Sleeping Dogs and Bully were by the same lead designer while it was on the weekend Steam sale, I would have bought it up in a heartbeat at $25 USD. Instead I rationalized it as a Holiday Sale item, and now I feel bad.

edit: Looks like it's still $25 on Amazon and is Steamworks activated. Thanks again Amazon for riding Steam's coat tails and offering sales past the time that they give up. This is my drunk impulse buy for the next couple months.

edit2: fuck you tax

#13 Posted by Animasta (14727 posts) -

@notdavid said:

So Sleeping Dogs is a Hong Kong themed follow up to Bully? Why didn't anyone tell me about this?! Who do I throw my money at?

seriously.

Bully remains the best game Rockstar's ever done IMO

#14 Posted by planetary (355 posts) -

Reading this on my tablet and thought the thread was about BUFFY, as in the vampire slayer. God dammit. I'm out.

#15 Posted by KoolAid (1034 posts) -

Really? I thought Bully was one of the greatest games to ever fly under my radar! Now I must play sleeping dogs!

#16 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@planetary said:

Reading this on my tablet and thought the thread was about BUFFY, as in the vampire slayer. God dammit. I'm out.

To be honest, so did I. And only because I had to do a double-take, Mike Skupa sold one more game tonight. Call me a Skupa trooper. Who else is going Skupa diving? I hope it's not a pooper, Skupa.

I'll see myself out.
#17 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@DharmaBum said:

Same lead designer as Bully.

This guy I believe: http://www.giantbomb.com/mike-skupa/72-74043/

Wait, what? I thought this would've been more...Advertised. Well, even happier with my purchase of Sleeping Dogs now!

#18 Posted by spankingaddict (2740 posts) -

Dang it ! Now I have to give this game a try . I was gonna pass on it , but man I love Bully :P

#19 Posted by Alexandru (301 posts) -

I don't.

#20 Posted by Serpentenema (219 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

@planetary said:

To be honest, so did I. And only because I had to do a double-take, Mike Skupa sold one more game tonight. Call me a Skupa trooper. Who else is going Skupa diving? I hope it's not a pooper, Skupa. I'll see myself out.

If you played through the hulk, then anything will be better. Also the running/chase sequence obviously were inspired and taken from Jackie Chan: Stuntmaster

#21 Posted by cannonballBAM (609 posts) -

I just picked up the Scholarship Edition on steam after listening to Patrick talk about it during this weeks bombcast.

I have to agree completely, there are quite a few similarities:

• @Serpentenema: I concur. The radio parts have the same reward as the Jade statues.
  • @Ksaw: I agree as well, the combat is very similar using a circle HUD for enemy data also using the same lock on and toggle feature.
  • There are lockers through out the game that even have a mini-game similar to the lock boxes.

I thought it was funny that the original name was "Canis Canem Edit" which translates from latin to english as "Dog Eat Dog".

I am just sad that no one is asking Jimmy if he wants a pork bun.

#22 Posted by djou (878 posts) -

I'm disappointed that this is flying under a lot of people's radar, the game is surprisingly good. The main story has a lot of emotion and well portrayed characterization for the typical police mole infiltrating organized crime story. The side quest have a lot of the open-world fetch quest silliness but I've played the game for 25+ hours and I'm still having fun driving around and tackling folks.

#23 Posted by Serpentenema (219 posts) -

@cannonballBAM: You aren't a man till you eat a pork bun. Jimmy is clearly no man.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.