Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sleeping Dogs

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Aug 14, 2012

Recreating the thrill of Hong Kong action movies, Sleeping Dogs is an open-world crime adventure that tells the story of undercover officer Wei Shen as he infiltrates a notorious Triad organization in the streets of a fictional Hong Kong.

Is ALEX doing the review?

• 56 results
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#51  Edited By Soap

@mcderby4 said:

@President_Barackbar said:

@Undeadpool said:

@mcderby4 said:

It's struck me as odd regarding the massive lack of written reviews in general over the past year. Giantbomb is a widely appreciated site and I don't know what it is, but they seem to be slacking with the reviews.

It could have something to do with the whole "Company was purchased and entirely uprooted/moved to a new office" situation. Just a guess, though.

That only gets to be an excuse for so long. When they have people paying to keep the site alive, they need to deliver content. I can only cut them so much slack.

Exactly. I can understand that's a suitable reason when they were moving, but they seem to have been settled for a while now.

Got to agree, I've always thought of myself as a pretty die hard fan but I swear these past few months I've seen the occasional day with zero new content at all. I think we've gone a good 4 or 5 days without a quicklook as well sometimes.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#52  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@SmilingPig said:

So it won't be a video review.

I think the days of video reviews are behind us. They require far more video production work and are probably nowhere near as popular as quick looks. Personally, I won't miss them.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#53  Edited By BeachThunder

@Chaser324 said:

@SmilingPig said:

So it won't be a video review.

I think the days of video reviews are behind us. They require far more video production work and are probably nowhere near as popular as quick looks. Personally, I won't miss them.

It would be nice if they did though for big releases, I mean Gamespot manages to churn out video reviews...

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By Cincaid

@Soap said:

@mcderby4 said:

@Undeadpool said:

@mcderby4 said:

It's struck me as odd regarding the massive lack of written reviews in general over the past year. Giantbomb is a widely appreciated site and I don't know what it is, but they seem to be slacking with the reviews.

It could have something to do with the whole "Company was purchased and entirely uprooted/moved to a new office" situation. Just a guess, though.

That only gets to be an excuse for so long. When they have people paying to keep the site alive, they need to deliver content. I can only cut them so much slack.

Exactly. I can understand that's a suitable reason when they were moving, but they seem to have been settled for a while now.

Got to agree, I've always thought of myself as a pretty die hard fan but I swear these past few months I've seen the occasional day with zero new content at all. I think we've gone a good 4 or 5 days without a quicklook as well sometimes.

Unless I'm way off in my counting; they have reviewed 56 games so far this year. Last year they had reviewed 53 games at this point. So I'm not sure what all the doom and gloom is about.

The only thing I can give you points for is the lack of video reviews, but I'd personally take a written review with a quick look over a video review any day of the week.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#55  Edited By Deranged

@BeachThunder said:

It would be nice if they did though for big releases, I mean Gamespot manages to churn out video reviews...

As does basically every single other gaming site...

@Soap said:

It's embarrassing really. I don't know if it's being careless or just simple laziness but you only really see a review for the odd arcade game and the extremely popular AAA releases. What happened to dishing out a review for literally every single game that was released as they used to? It's not as if they're understaffed.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#56  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@BeachThunder said:

If you want to see someone awkwardly reading a prepared script, there are plenty of places that you can go get that. Giant Bomb didn't build itself on a foundation of just "churning out" the same sort of stuff everyone else is.

Having said that though, I agree that it is a bit weird when you see such a dearth of content. I know that some of the crew has been dealing with personal issues, and they're still adjusting to the corporate world (and you definitely can't discount just how long it takes to get stuff done in that world), but sometimes you can't help but wonder how the guys spend their time.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#57  Edited By Deranged

@Cincaid said:

Unless I'm way off in my counting; they have reviewed 56 games so far this year. Last year they had reviewed 53 games at this point. So I'm not sure what all the doom and gloom is about.

The only thing I can give you points for is the lack of video reviews, but I'd personally take a written review with a quick look over a video review any day of the week.

Really? It truly does not that way. It might be due to the fact they've been reviewing far more indie games as opposed to all the AAA titles as they used to. But I could be wrong.

@Chaser324 said:

If you want to see someone awkwardly reading a prepared script, there are plenty of places that you can go get that. Giant Bomb didn't build itself on a foundation of just "churning out" the same sort of stuff everyone else is.

Having said that though, I agree that it is a bit weird when you see such a dearth of content. I know that some of the crew has been dealing with personal issues, and they're still adjusting to the corporate world (and you definitely can't discount just how long it takes to get stuff done in that world), but sometimes you can't help but wonder how the guys spend their time.

They definitely didn't build their reputation from it, but can you not agree that GiantBomb is easily one of the most distinguishable gaming sites due to the creative videos and content they release? That's what's always attracted me to the site since day one and the staff is easily the most relatable and enjoyable group of people around.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#58  Edited By Undeadpool

@Cincaid said:

@Soap said:

@mcderby4 said:

@Undeadpool said:

@mcderby4 said:

There ya go. Also: this happens LITERALLY every year around this time to the SAME EXACT fanfare. Also: this move wasn't precisely an overnight thing, they basically moved into an entirely empty office, so requisitioning everything from a massive, multinational corporation takes tiiiiime. And now that more games are coming out, and they're getting more settled, MORE QUICK LOOKS! We've got Dave's madness with Dwarf Fortress. The Bombcast hasn't missed a single beat. TNT continues unabated (despite problems beyond their control), so frankly, I don't see what the issue is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.