Is this game....racist?

• 192 results
#51 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

every game ever made is racist.

#52 Posted by MiniPato (2737 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

Well I found my answer...Stop laughing at asians. Roger that. I'll take this game seriously now :-)

And you've been laughing at asians your whole life? Are you the kind of person who laughs whenever someone speaks an asian language because you think it sounds funny? I find this thread more racist than the game.

I think this game portrays asians and asian culture with more respect than any other western game. And it actually features asian voice actors, not white actors doing fake accents.

#53 Posted by believer258 (11897 posts) -
@Yummylee

lol

But in all seriousness while not racist perhaps, something that bugged me was how much English spoken dialogue there is. Or more importantly how basically everyone speaks English, including everyday civilians, and then you have Mrs Chu who speaks exclusively in Chinese. It sort of portrayed the idea to me that Chinese was some sort of dying language that only the traditionalists holding on to the past spoke, while everyone else adopted English.

Reading too much into it of course and that obviously wasn't their intent, but it stood out all the same.

But she understood English. Presumably, she understands it, she just chooses not to speak it.
#54 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5255 posts) -

@mikey87144 said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

I think it's weird that you spent the first hour of the game laughing at another culture because you don't understand it. I think you're the one being a bit racist.

Don't start that now. Some very well established comedians make careers out of poking fun at other cultures. If you ever watch media from other countries you'd be surprised how people make fun of Americans.

Oh no, I understand that. I've seen enough British comedians to know that. However the better comedians know what they are doing when they make those jokes. This guy doesn't seem like it.

#55 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1433 posts) -

Look, I'm Asian and I think some of our ways and culture is a little silly, but that's the way it is. We just got our own ways, just like every other part of the world.

#56 Posted by JasonR86 (9697 posts) -

@devilzrule27 said:

every game ever made is racist.

and sexist.

...I'm sorry everyone.

#57 Posted by Landon (4143 posts) -

@Rainbowkisses said:

Also in Sleeping Dogs, the Asian dude is terrible at driving, or maybe that's just me.

This is really funny.

#58 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (2007 posts) -

@The_Ruiner said:

...you sound like you could use a pork bun.

A man, who does not eat pork bun, is not a real man!

Or something like that. Either way, thread is dumb. HK/Chinese culture was represented well, even if (as some posters have pointed out) the amount of English is a little over-the-norm, if only for broader appeal.

#59 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Ugh.

#60 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Spikey hair? Dafuq?

You be cray.

#61 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

So guys, get this. I ordered Chinese food last night and when I showed up to pick it up the guy was talking to me in that ridiculous stereotypical Chinese accent, so I told him "Hey man, it's alright. You don't have to play it up for me man I'm cool. Just talk like you would if I weren't even here." But the dude just wouldn't stop. Finally he just got angry at me and told me to leave. At least I think that's what he told me, I was laughing too much at that stereotypical accent to really know for sure.

#62 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

Well actually Chinese culture is frequently racist so it would be racist not to be depict racism.

#63 Posted by BurningStickMan (204 posts) -

@minorinya said:

An American appreciates the satirism of GTA because of its "inside" American jokes, but to others it might just seem stupid. Are all American cities about yellowcabs and, well... racist white people?

Umm... uhh, actually....

#64 Posted by Shortbreadtom (778 posts) -

No, no, a thousand times no.

#65 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

Stereotypes exist for a reason.

RIP Enigma777... I'm just glad I was there to witness that. It was incredible.

#66 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

the only thing that bugs me is that wei never speaks cantonese (that I saw)

but yeah OP you are kind of racist if you're laughing at it

#67 Posted by gla55jAw (2689 posts) -

I just finished it and never had that thought cross my mind once.

#68 Posted by verbalmedal (55 posts) -

nope you maybe racist

#69 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Racist and sexist

#70 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

I almost feel bad for OP.

#71 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

No

#72 Posted by Turambar (6782 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

lol

But in all seriousness while not racist perhaps, something that bugged me was how much English spoken dialogue there is. Or more importantly how basically everyone speaks English, including everyday civilians, and then you have Mrs Chu who speaks exclusively in Chinese. It sort of portrayed the idea to me that Chinese was some sort of dying language that only the traditionalists holding on to the past spoke, while everyone else adopted English.

Reading too much into it of course and that obviously wasn't their intent, but it stood out all the same.

English is a rather common language in Hong Kong considering how long it was under the rule of the British. Also it'd be kind of visually annoying to see subtitles for all lines of incidental dialogue, but also a waste if it couldn't be understood without it.

#73 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2007 posts) -

@Animasta: I feel like I remember him saying something in Cantonese.

I'm pretty sure all of his incidental dialogue, at least, is English.

#74 Edited by Turambar (6782 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

@TheHT said:

@jdh5153 said:

I'm just saying it seems like it's trying to take all of the silly asian crap and throw it into a game

This thread is delightfully ignorant.

That's what I'm here for 哥

You realize, as a native chinese speaker, your decision to use a character that is largely meaningless without a second accompanying one to actually make it mean "bro" in the colloquial is absolutely hilarious to me? You're like those white guys who get tattoos of Chinese characters without any idea what said characters actually mean outside of the largely false information the tattoo artist gives you.

#75 Posted by Alexandru (301 posts) -

not another one...

#76 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@SirOptimusPrime said:

@Animasta: I feel like I remember him saying something in Cantonese.

I'm pretty sure all of his incidental dialogue, at least, is English.

maybe he said it earlier when I didn't notice, but once I got a quarter of the way through and I started paying attention he never said shit in cantonese.

#77 Posted by Daiphyer (1337 posts) -

Are you ... racist?

#78 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

I posted this in another thread and got called an idiot for it

The Human brain is predisposed to make assumptions based on its previous experiences When storytellers want to make a change to the world you know they often have to explain it. That's why you get tons of dialog just explaining things in RPG's. Because those worlds are so far removed form ours. If they introduced a Black trust fund guy in Far Cry you would be asking a lot more questions about him then if it was just a White guy.

Im not saying its right, But I also don't think we can win a war with 2 million years of evolution anytime soon.

#79 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@jdh5153 said:

So I started playing Sleeping Dogs last night and within the first ten minutes it has like every asian stereotype ever...The weird music, dead chickens and fish hanging everywhere, spikey hair.... I can't take the game seriously, I find myself laughing hysterically....Is it meant to be a parody, or are you supposed to take it seriously?

Saw all this in Chinatown in New York. Not Stereotyping at all. 
#80 Posted by kerse (2113 posts) -

This thread is pretty good.

#81 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Pretty much Sleeping Dogs to me...

#82 Edited by AltonBrown (950 posts) -

It's like that time I went to the Panda Express and they put peepee in my coke. Such a stereotype!

Seriously, you're a goddamn idiot.

#83 Posted by BaneFireLord (2935 posts) -

Stereotypical =/= racist

#84 Posted by Abendlaender (2803 posts) -

Also some people talk, like, chinese or so. Soooooooo stereotypical

#85 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@Abendlaender said:

You miss the point. I know they're Chinese, I just think the game is making fun of them....

#86 Posted by TheSlothKing (332 posts) -

No, but it is sexist because it doesn't have a female protagonist.

#87 Posted by AltonBrown (950 posts) -

@Abendlaender: I know! All that Ching-Chong-Ding-Dong crap sounds so silly. Maybe they'd be taken more seriously if they spoke God's language; English.

#88 Posted by Aegon (5588 posts) -

Well this kind of blew up in his face.

#89 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@Aegon said:

How? I still think the game is making fun of asians.... And I still think it's kinda hilarious. It's okay to think South Park's Shitty Wok guy is funny but not this game?

#90 Edited by Aegon (5588 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:

@Jimbo said:

Stereotypes exist for a reason.

RIP Enigma777... I'm just glad I was there to witness that. It was incredible.

Wait, is he really banned?  

@jdh5153 said:

@Aegon said:

How? I still think the game is making fun of asians.... And I still think it's kinda hilarious. It's okay to think South Park's Shitty Wok guy is funny but not this game?

The game can be pretty hilarious, but I'm not sure if Racism is the main reason for it. Salty Crab was the funniest part of that game. 
#91 Posted by NeVeRMoRe666 (268 posts) -

@SpaceRunaway: Ignorance?

#92 Posted by bagrm (52 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

@Aegon said:

Dude, What? I don't really understand how you think the game is making fun of Asians. There are funny characters in the game that happen to be Asian, but I never once felt like the game was making fun of Asian culture. I lived in Hong Kong for a little while, and the game is pretty accurate in its description. I think maybe you are finding the Cantonese accent funny, but that is just how Cantonese sounds.

#93 Posted by Abendlaender (2803 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

@Abendlaender said:

You miss the point. I know they're Chinese, I just think the game is making fun of them....

Serious question: Have you ever been in China?

#94 Posted by jsnyder82 (733 posts) -

No. It is not racist.

#95 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@Abendlaender said:

@jdh5153 said:

@Abendlaender said:

Serious question: Have you ever been in China?

Um no. They're communists though, so who cares if they're funny :P

#96 Posted by stryker1121 (1438 posts) -
#97 Posted by Hailinel (24710 posts) -

@jdh5153: If you equate Sleeping Dogs to South Park, you really don't have any idea what you're talking about. Stop talking. You're making a fool of yourself.

#98 Posted by Alex (2129 posts) -

Have you ever been to Hong Kong? I have. And yeah, while certain aspects of the culture are definitely painted in more cartoonish broadstrokes, that's pretty much how Hong Kong actually is. Everything you described. That's all in Hong Kong.

Staff
#99 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@jdh5153: If you equate Sleeping Dogs to South Park, you really don't have any idea what you're talking about. Stop talking. You're making a fool of yourself.

Haha... But it's not some serious game either. Have you read the dialogue... Some great lines like "Fuck you you mother fuck". Yeah, serious stuff right there.

#100 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@Alex said:

Have you ever been to Hong Kong? I have. And yeah, while certain aspects of the culture are definitely painted in more cartoonish broadstrokes, that's pretty much how Hong Kong actually is. Everything you described. That's all in Hong Kong.

I get that. The whole point of this entire discussion is to determine whether the game is taking itself 100% serious, or whether it's funny and it's funny because it's asian GTA.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.